Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hobbit Cast Happy Valentines’ Day image lard LOTS-OF-LUV (fun) thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 2:32am

Post #1 of 61 (2454 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Cast Happy Valentines’ Day image lard LOTS-OF-LUV (fun) thread! Can't Post

Note: Yes, this is a BIG post, meant in a spirit of FUN. And besides, someone wrote to me: “not having to defend and explain and analyze everything to death, but just being able to safely say "I really like this character!" and not then being crushed by a landslide on negativity…"

So this post is really meant to be hopefully positive, silly, and joyous, and I personally hope here if you wish we’d gotten to see a big *SMOOCH* lakeside between Kili and Tauriel, why not? After all, this post is all about love, and the Hobbit movies!

Valentine’s Day could be considered to be “the sweetest” holiday of the year - and among other things a certain dwarf king is practically SYNONYMOUS with the most DECADENT dark chocolate ever lovingly crafted by the world’s finest chocolatiers (and we all know dark chocolate is GOOD for you).

It’s also a holiday that in modern times has become synonymous with LOVE – the best kind, love as sweet and pure and fun as cherry blossoms in spring.

So, I started thinking about Hobbit holidays, and sweet things that elves and men, dwarves and wizards, might have on a day that is a frothy celebration of LOVE. And why not? The association of food and drink with love, especially pleasant-tasting foods, goes back centuriesTongue.

Since TORn members are never loathe to dig for those details to better learn Middle EarthCool, I did a fast check as to what kinds of holidays DOES Middle Earth have anyway?

Wwweeeeellll – from:
http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/...days-in-middle-earth and Wikipedia re the Shire:

Yule was one of the two chief holidays in the Shire—the other being the midsummer holiday called Lithe. The Yule celebrations lasted six days in total, including two days before and two days after the Yuledays. This six-day period was called Yuletide. It was a time of feasting and merriment. And:

Lithe is a Midsummer holiday in the Shire. It is mentioned in The Fellowship of the Ring. Lithe fell between Forelithe, the sixth month of the year, and Afterlithe, the seventh month. In most years there were three Lithedays: 1 Lithe, Midyear's Day, and 2 Lithe. In Leap-years there was a fourth Litheday called Overlithe between Midyear's Day and 2 Lithe. Midyear's Day and Overlithe were not assigned any weekday, while 1 Lithe always fell on a Friday and 2 Lithe was a Saturday. In the years that Overlithe occurred, it was a day of special celebration. Overlithe fell during the Great Year of Plenty in 3020 after the War of the Ring, and it was the merriest holiday in the history of the Shire.

The word lithe is from the Old English líða. This may have been the name for Midsummer, while ærra Líða and æftera Líða were used for the months June and July. The word lithe means "mild, balmy" in relation to the weather.

But alasFrown, nowhere did I find a suggestion of something comparable to our modern Valentine’s Day, although it seems something like it COULD have fit into Tolkiens’ world:

While the European folk traditions connected with Saint Valentine and St. Valentine's Day have become marginalized by the modern Anglo-American customs connecting the day with romantic love, there are some remaining associations connecting the saint with the advent of spring.

While the custom of sending cards, flowers, chocolates and other gifts originated in the UK, Valentine's Day still remains connected with various regional customs in England. In Norfolk, a character called 'Jack' Valentine knocks on the rear door of houses leaving sweets and presents for children.

And so, what about our now-traditional association of Valentine’s Day with sweets – ESPECIALLY chocolate? Perhaps not unexpectedly, there is no hint that I know of anything like chocolate in Middle Earth. We DO have honey cake from Tolkien:

Appearing in The Hobbit and mentioned in The Lord of the Rings, a honey-cake is a twice-baked cake made by the "skin-changer" Beorn and later, his descendants the Beornings. Similar to cram and lembas, the cakes are sustaining and keep fresh for a long time. Although they are tastier than cram, they tend to make the eater thirsty.

http://www.tor.com/.../hobbit-recipes-food

And there are “tea foods”:

For instance, the difference between “high” and “low” teas is central to understanding The Hobbit's “Unexpected Party,” as explained by a collection of food historians on recipewise.co.uk in their thoughts on Tea in The Hobbit:
“…high-tea was a working man’s hearty tea and supper after a long, hard day of manual labour. It was the combination of afternoon tea and the evening meal, of various dishes and cold cuts of meat and cheese, eaten on a high table… Afternoon tea on the other hand would often be served for guests sitting around smaller, lower tables in the parlour with dainty desserts and fine china on them, and was always referred to as low-tea. This was the tea preferred by the upper classes, who had a much later evening meal in the separate dining room on the higher tables. What Bilbo started out hastily arranging when the bell rang was low-tea, for an important wizard, although to his dismay it ended up being a high-tea, for common ‘coal miners’—this then is the underlying humour of the entire chapter, ‘An Unexpected Party’. Tolkien would have understood these strict conventions from his Victorian childhood, and he obviously (and thoroughly) enjoyed standing them on their head.”

(Original drawing by reapersun at: http://rebloggy.com/post/my-art-the-hobbit-gandalf-bilbo-baggins-hobbit-bilbo-thorin-they-want-the-food-o/38455243640)

And there are a few specifically mentioned sweets in the hobbit; from:

What Hobbits like to eat…
http://www.bonappetit.com/...-hobbits-like-to-eat

…I was most interested, however, in the home-baked goods: the seed cakes, mince pie, and apple tart.

(And of course in LOTR there is mention of a blackberry tart at the Prancing Pony.)

And so, while the denizens of Middle Earth may, or may not, have been familiar with CHOCOLATE, they most certainly (especially, it would seem, hobbits) been able to celebrate with a BOUNTY of sweet treats. Including celebrating LOVE.

Because, as we know, the Hobbit is AWASH in a veritable ocean of all kinds of loveHeartHeartHeart. The love of kings for their people, and their lands. The love of family. The love of friends. Love for animals and growing things. Love for tradition and legacy. Love of poetry and song, and beautiful things, and comfort and home.

And book and film, fans have embraced this rich world of the Hobbit with LOVEHeart. We line up in the cold for days, count hours and minutes down to a film release. We bicker and we cheer, we write and we sing, we craft and we cosplay, we read and draw, we make websites and force ourselves to learn technology we’ve never heard of beforeShocked. We buy books and hunt for memorabilia, and we party and host Hobbit dinners.

I love, love the Hobbit filmsHeartHeartHeart. They have become my most favorite films ever, with an IMO cast that is PERFECTION. And because of that love, I’m part of a community that spans generations, and the whole world. And I think that kind of inspiration and love is something perfect to celebrate on Valentine’s DayTongueAngelicHeart.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 2:42am

Post #2 of 61 (2038 views)
Shortcut
How fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

We could use spring, so bring it on! What a fun way to post about Valentine's day!

Is that Bombur and Lindir sharing some muffins? Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 2:43am

Post #3 of 61 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Addendum: Valentine Hobbit POETRY [In reply to] Can't Post

What’s Valentine’s Day without POETRY? After all, Tolkien filled his world with song and poems.
And there’s no race I’ve fallen in love with like our rambunctious, tumbling dwarvesHeart. Er, especially a certain sable-maned, fiery-tempered mountain king, whose mere voice is probably a key factor in global warming, and sounds like a poem just asking for a glass of water. Or just breathingTongue.

(Oh sure, Richard, go ahead and read us some more LUV poems on You-Tube, I’ll just lay here on the floor glassy-eyedTongue like poor Bain up in that tower while the dog licks my nose...)

Um. Having slightly recovered thanks to the dog, so INSPIRED was I by LUV, I was impassioned to give voice to my feelings, for this day of all days:

Yah know, don’t know what it is, but looking at these pictures I can’t stop thinking about CHOCOLATE. Seems to me Valentine’s Day weekend is a fine time to re-watch the Hobbit films, with one of those red boxes filled with an ASSORTMENT and the helpful descriptions on the lid. (And not the cheap stuff either – the good stuff with the multiple flavor layers and pretty decorations).
And I promise to mention TORn when I give my Nobel Prize for Poetry acceptance speech. Angelic

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 2:53am

Post #4 of 61 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Addendum: Love and chocolate in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit itself was crafted as a work of love, the love of a man for his childrenHeart, who crafted a work of such imagination and whimsy it would become a beloved classic. A work lovingly, and with matchless dedication, brought to screen by the passion of Sir Peter Jackson and an energetic, committed team of craftspeople, crew, actors, writers, and designers. Fittingly, we saw movies FILLED with loveHeart.

The love of a land and its peoples:

The love of family:

And animalsHeart!

Falling in love:Shocked

And for me, all of the loveHeart in an unlikely bond that forms between an exiled, angry mountain king carrying the weight of legacy and his people, and a somewhat fussy hobbit who will become more than he ever knew he could be. The love between friendsHeartHeartHeart.

And since it’s Valentine’s Day, with all this LUV, it’s a shame that Middle Earth is not also awash in CHOCOLATE. It’s one of the benefits of our often tedious-worldUnsure. So for fun, I’ve added some posts suggesting a suitable CANDY for our Hobbit cast, by way of showing LUV to this wonderful cast.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 3:08am

Post #5 of 61 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Valentine chocolates for Ori, Nori, Dori, Bifur, Bombur, Bofur, Gloin and Oin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori – A deceptively simple HIGH-QUALITY chocolate lollipop, as sweet as he is. I watched Ori come along in three movies, and one of the saddest things I saw in BOFA was Ori sitting behind Kili, twisting his hands in his little mittens. But Ori has come right along, punching out orcs in the river and we see him battling like a tiger in BOFA!

Nori – Chocolate coffee beans. To go with his boundless energy, and these slide nicely into a pocket, and help keep you awake for nocturnal excursions (after all, dwarf ladies love the hair, and it is Valentine’s Day!)

Dori – Well, yah know, Dori’s a bit of a fusspot, so I thought he would appreciate the artistry of these dainty strawberry cream chocolates (with a lacey design yet.)

Bifur – Er, chocolate spiders. After Mirkwood and seeing Bifur’s condition, thought it would be something he would APPRECIATE.

Bombur – Here’s a dwarf who can definitely appreciate something RICH, I would think, so can’t get more sinful than a pile of caramel-chocolate POTATO CHIPS.

Bofur – Irish crème chocolates, for obvious reasons.

Oin – The mint family has been used for centuries for medicinal purposes, so thought Oin would appreciate this peppermint bark, as cozy as he is.

Gloin – How about some fiery chocolate-covered peppers to go with that hair?

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 3:21am

Post #6 of 61 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Valentine chocolates for Dain, Dwalin, Balin, Fili and Kili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain – Let’s start with something HEARTY and MASCULINE, as befits the Lord of the Iron Hills. So think these dark chocolate stout cake truffles will go nicely after a big battle, with some ale.

Balin – Something classic, and as rich as this character isHeart – so our favorite pecan caramel chocolate nut clusters.

Dwalin – Gotta be something MANLY for our badass Dwalin, so I should think Dwalin would thoroughly appreciate a pile of chocolate-covered BACON. No sissy chocolates for this warrior!

Our beloved brothers - these guys are all about love!Heart

Fili – Definitely buttery (to go with his hair and overall richness) SINFUL salted caramel chocolates. HeartHeartHeart

Kili – Full of vitality and energy, this dwarf prince is as vibrant as these chocolate covered orange slices.

And our young prince needs his energy, as he is going to be busy studying astronomy at night with a certain flame-haired archer friend.Heart

Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 3:43am

Post #7 of 61 (2030 views)
Shortcut
Valentine chocolates for Bilbo and Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is more about the best kind of love than these two, the pure, freely given love between friendsHeart?

Bilbo – OK, it’s not a chocolate per se. But what’s more HOMEY than chocolate sandwich cookies and milk (and anyway, being the BURGLAR, and having a certain Ring, am sure Bilbo can grab whatever he likes from everyone elseLaugh. Think Dwalin had better stand guard over his bacon!Cool)
And our Mountain King?

(Original image: MirielOfGisborne, http://www.deviantart.com/...-and-Light-512178629)

Oh, babyCool. The mountain king, no chocolate is gonna last on a plate, it would melt into a scorched puddleCool.

No, some ‘lil sweet just isn’t going to cut it, not for a being that has single-handedly destroyed so many computer monitors and TV screensEvil.

So after much INTENSE thought, it has to be the DECADENT creation known as the Golden Phoenix Cupcake adorned with 23-carat edible gold sheets; with its Italian chocolate, vanilla beans and strawberries dipped in edible gold.

It is the world's most expensive cupcake at a mere $1010.00 (half that cost is donated to charity, which I think Richard Armitage would approve of.)
http://www.foodworldnews.com/...xpensive-cupcake.htm

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 3:58am

Post #8 of 61 (2023 views)
Shortcut
WOW! I'm totally feelin' the love! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aw, Avendel, this is fantastic!! Shocked Cool What a lovely Valentine surprise for all of us! (Here's one for you, and you can see all the other characters' cards in the gallery. There's even one with Azog!)

I am TOTALLY going to find that chocolate-covered bacon!!! and make Dwalin give it up. Because I would take on even Dwalin for chocolate-covered bacon. And also salted caramel chocolates (OK, I'd share with Fili Angelic)...and chocolate-covered coffee beans...and OF COURSE what could be more appropriate than a gold-covered cupcake (!!!) for our favorite treasure-loving monarch? Heart (Naturally, one would want a dark, dark espresso with that...)

Well done, Avendel! What a love-filled tribute! SmileLaughHeart

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 3:58am

Post #9 of 61 (2009 views)
Shortcut
My goodness Avandel! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've outdone yourself! I'm not even sure where to start, so I guess I'll just start here:

Milk and cookies for Bilbo? That certainly conjures up images of a cozy home. Perfect!

Chocolate and edible gold for Thorin? Quite fitting indeed for our #majestic King under the Mountain.

Heart

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 4:02am

Post #10 of 61 (1999 views)
Shortcut
These are perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dori's fussy chocolates, Bombur's chocolate covered potato chips, Oin's peppermint bark - fantastic!

not sure about that spider thought *shudders*

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 4:04am

Post #11 of 61 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate stout [In reply to] Can't Post

What a perfect find for Dain - ha!

Have to admit though, I still don't quite get the appeal of chocolate covered bacon. Crazy

#OneLastTime

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 4:14am

Post #12 of 61 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Thank You! *smiles* and great link! (and I didn't leave out the elves!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am TOTALLY going to find that chocolate-covered bacon!!! and make Dwalin give it up. Because I would take on even Dwalin for chocolate-covered bacon. And also salted caramel chocolates (OK, I'd share with Fili Angelic)...and chocolate-covered coffee beans...and OF COURSE what could be more appropriate than a gold-covered cupcake (!!!) for our favorite treasure-loving monarch? Heart (Naturally, one would want a dark, dark espresso with that...)

Happy you enjoyed it...Smile!
My own post made me hungry, LOLLaugh...(wonder if I have any BACON 'coz for sure I have chocolate...).

But, I just can't forget about the elves. Especially a certain silver-haired forest king.

Thranduil – Obviously, no mere chocolate will do for the fey, gorgeous, deadly Fisher King (who nonetheless LOVES his beautiful, graceful son).
Described as the “single most expensive chocolate”, I think the King of Mirkwood Forest will appreciate this $250 Chocolate Truffle (because of the pricey French truffle that’s incorporated, e.g. a MUSHROOM) http://www.swide.com/...the-world/2013/10/21

Of course, this will pair nicely with wine. And orchids.

And for this forest archer (currently a favorite of mine thanks to saving Thorin in BOFA - rich maple creamsHeart)

And for Tauriel:

Yum. White chocolate raspberry, as well as a Valentine *SMOOCH*CoolHeart

Heart'Coz it's Valentine's Day.Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 4:34am

Post #13 of 61 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! LOL I really TRIED to be organized [In reply to] Can't Post

E.g., an intro, and 2 main sections - "poetry" LOL and love & chocolate....but maybe it got away from me, as when PJ & co. were filming the Battle of Moria. I even picked out a *MANLY* chocolate for "Azog" (and Manu Bennett is this handsome charming guy and FUNNY - look at his car!)

MANLY chocolate pizza with little white marshmallows, just like his pet.

And of course bollocks:

Would you believe chocolate-covered beef jerky for Smaug?

LaughLaughLaugh

And some lavender-gin chocolates (they have a floral essence, evidently) for our noble wizard:

Very medicinal.Cool

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 4:53am

Post #14 of 61 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

There really is something for everyone!

#OneLastTime

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 4:57am

Post #15 of 61 (2000 views)
Shortcut
LOL - there is [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not eating this:

As you say, something for everyone Evil

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 5:14am

Post #16 of 61 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Awww [In reply to] Can't Post

Those valentines cards are so cute! Smile

#OneLastTime

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 7:15am

Post #17 of 61 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Ahh this is GREAT [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, what a wonderful celebration of love in all its forms! HeartEvil Beautiful and sweet, from the background info to thoughtfully chosen chocolates for everyone!
Thank you for making my morning so warm and fuzzy! HeartHeartHeart *big smile*

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 7:43am

Post #18 of 61 (1999 views)
Shortcut
For the LOVE of BEAUTY [In reply to] Can't Post

In the spirit of Valentine's day, I will take this chance to celebrate the BEAUTY that has been brought to us by so many wonderful characters. Unlike the OP who has lovingly thought of everyone, I had to choose a character, not-so-randomly, but still I think many can join in appreciating (ahem) this prime example whose beauty extends to mythical proportions.

(BTW, It has been said that a man cannot be both handsome AND beautiful.
It has also been said that if a man is indeed beautiful, he must then be effeminate.
BOTH WRONG. Wink)

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Feb 14 2015, 7:46am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 7:56am

Post #19 of 61 (1979 views)
Shortcut
You have never been so right [In reply to] Can't Post

(BTW, It has been said that a man cannot be both handsome AND beautiful.
It has also been said that if a man is indeed beautiful, he must then be effeminate.
BOTH WRONG. Wink)

in all your life. Laugh

Thanks for the lovely collage Ilmatar!

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 8:00am

Post #20 of 61 (1981 views)
Shortcut
A limerick [In reply to] Can't Post

There once was a dwarf when at ease
Had dark locks caressed by the breeze
He smoldered and glared
While the fangirls just stared
While thinking "Pick me, oh please"

#OneLastTime

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 8:35am

Post #21 of 61 (1989 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the Unexpected Compliment, Kim. Tongue

Loving the Limerick...! LaughAngelicHeart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 2:38pm

Post #22 of 61 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Love is in the air! I can feel it ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great way to celebrate our LOVEly characters and Valentine's day :)

I am always so touched by Gandalf's love for Hobbits. Especially his life-long relationship and honour of Bilbo. Knowing that Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf are all together in Valinor makes me HAPPY!!!!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 5:05pm

Post #23 of 61 (1941 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love all, especially the sunwashed image of Gandalf and Bilbo. HeartHeartHeart

I wonder, too, - if Saruman had some CHOCOLATE would he be less austereWink? One of the people I most regret never meeting is Sir Christopher LeeHeartHeartHeart, who seems such a joy.
So I mustn't leave him out (cinnamon-dusted chocolate almonds, seeing as cinnamon also has medicinal properties...and almonds of course are good for you.)

BTW, that torte is to die for - time to make sure I have some raspberries and white chocolate in house. (How do they bake the heart in the middle?Shocked) And invite some dwarves!
Happy Valentine's Day!SmileHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 5:22pm

Post #24 of 61 (1932 views)
Shortcut
LOL Kim - this is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Happy Valentine's Day!

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 5:28pm

Post #25 of 61 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! And what can we do? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL some folks have itHeart:

And some have MORE of itHeart:

Happy Valentine's Day!Smile PS. Loved that floating heart .gif!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.