The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
***"The Fellowship of the Ring: Book II" *** Chapter Sign-Ups

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 13 2015, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 14 (865 views)
Shortcut
***"The Fellowship of the Ring: Book II" *** Chapter Sign-Ups Can't Post

Hail and well met, Fellowship of the Room!

We are nearing the end of Book I, with Bracegirdle rounding us out with Flight to the Ford (bows to Brace!) We thought a bit of a break (just a wee one) for folks to read up, recharge, and get thoughts ready for Book II might be in order. As such, let's start out on March 29th - hopefully in lovely N. Hemisphere spring weather!

'The Council of Elrond' and 'A Journey in the Dark' I think need two weeks each to cover, so they will have two built into the schedule. So, here are the first five chapters of the second book, ready for leadership:

FOTR Book II:

March 29th: Many Meetings

April 5th: The Council of Elrond (part one)

April 12th: The Council of Elrond (part two)

April 19th: The Ring Goes South

April 26th: A Journey in the Dark (part one)

May 3rd: A Journey in the Dark (part two)

May 10th: The Bridge of Khazad-dum

If you want to sign up, its easy. Respond in this thread or PM me. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me and ask.

Looking forward to moving ahead with you all!Cool

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 13 2015, 6:30pm)

squire
Half-elven

Feb 13 2015, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 14 (760 views)
Shortcut
'The Ring Goes South', please [In reply to] Can't Post

What an interesting approach: two weeks for the... long? tricky? more magical? or less? ... chapters. Every discussion is so different. But I'll go for the short, easy, possibly magical chapter that first made the fellowship's quest a quest. Thanks for organizing this, Brethil.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 13 2015, 10:35pm

Post #3 of 14 (755 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! Thank you, Squire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look very forward to your treatment of that chapter.

The two chapters I thought might want a two-week stretch are where I figured we may have a lot of thematic side-discussion come in. Not that we usually don't... and in truth, the when and where of that is quite unpredictable here in the RR. So at best call it a hedged bet. Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 3:26am

Post #4 of 14 (761 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the bow Brethil... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope as Frodo swoons on the eastern side of the Ford of Rivendell I shall deserve a “bow”. But, if not, perhaps a “nod” will have to do. Ah, we shall see.

Good wishes and thank you for taking the lead with Book II. I will give some consideration to joining in.

Cheers,
BG

noWizardme
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 10:26pm

Post #5 of 14 (734 views)
Shortcut
id be happy to do Council of Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

If everyone can stand 2 weeks of me Wink

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 14 (732 views)
Shortcut
But of course we can! [In reply to] Can't Post

*enters Funrincurunir into Big Red Book Of Sign Ups*

Thank you!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2015, 2:40am

Post #7 of 14 (704 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm back. (In a way...) [In reply to] Can't Post

My! It's been a while! Life has really had me in its clutches lately, and-- amidst the excitement of totaling a car, several funerals, filling out financial aid paperwork for university, and a relationship break-up --I've only just found time to wander back.

Unfortunately, this post is only a 'maybe' from me. Life is still a bit too chaotic for me to give any definite commitment, but I'll try to free up some time for a proper reply.

Nice to see you all!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 22 2015, 5:36pm

Post #8 of 14 (698 views)
Shortcut
Goodness Rem! Nice to have you around again [In reply to] Can't Post

but consolation for all your travails. Sheesh. Real-Life. Crazy

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2015, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 14 (699 views)
Shortcut
Nice to be here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can at least follow the discussion, and it is good distraction. If only 'life' were half as easily understood as the world of Middle-Earth!

Hmm... Now I'm wondering who I'd be if my life were set in Middle-Earth... Wrecked transport, a long string of funerals with an ill-fated romance, and trouble getting help from an council of the wise... I'm Turgon!

Trying to stay positive and maintain a good sense of humour! Laugh

Thanks.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

sador
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 9:05pm

Post #10 of 14 (680 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds quite a lot to deal with!

It will be good to see you whenever you can come in.
In the meantime - just keep calm. And think furnace...

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 14 (681 views)
Shortcut
I can present Many Meetings... [In reply to] Can't Post

So that leaves us with the two-week Moria fest of 'Journey in the Dark' and then 'The Bridge of Khazad-dum' left up for grabs.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 9:30am

Post #12 of 14 (669 views)
Shortcut
That is a full plate! [In reply to] Can't Post

And full of things one would rather not have on a plate. Well, it happens to everyone, which is no consolation, but I do hope the worst is behind you now and better things lie ahead, Rem. Hang in there. And if the Valar tell you to leave your home because swarms of orcs and dragons will destroy it, Turgon, at least get some good home insurance if you decide not to move. You could cash in and buy an island full of singing Elves somewhere (but singing more than tra-la-la, I hope.)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 9:38am

Post #13 of 14 (667 views)
Shortcut
A Journey in the Dark, part one, please [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'll do part two if no one else speaks up for it. But as I am afraid of the dark, I accept this charge with much trepidation. I won't, al least, have to defend any bridges against demons from hell. I'll leave that to stouter folk. (Wouldn't a few buckets of water have been the best defense against the balrog and his flames? If only they'd had a fire extinguisher handy. Safety codes are such a modern improvement.)

Thanks for organizing us, Brethil!

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 12:18pm

Post #14 of 14 (663 views)
Shortcut
Thanks m'dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just leaves me with a Bridge to sell to someone...Wink

Since you aren't a fan of the dark, I will picture you leading us in one of those miner's helmets. Its not goofy at all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.