The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
The Hobbit Monopoly game???

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 12 2015, 3:14pm

Post #1 of 11 (2216 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Monopoly game??? Can't Post

Can't believe there IS such a thing - and I have a birthday coming up! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/...oliid=I2DFMC768BDTNS

And here's a review of the game:

"There came a knocking on my door one night. I opened it to find a dark-haired, short-of-stature, beautiful stranger before me. He said he was sent to my by an elderly gentleman with a long beard in a big pointy hat. Only he had lost his way, twice. But he had finally found my humble abode, and was now here to challenge me to a game of Wizard's Chess. I told him that, unfortuantely, I was unfamiliar with the game. He said it was just a small matter and produced this Monopoly the Hobbit trilogy edition and asked if I would play. I invited him in right away as I love the game and his brooding stare was making me woozy and I needed someone to catch me in case I fainted. The box was factory sealed so I knew that the game would be in perfect condition. All of the pieces were included, not a single coin had to be parted with. The playing pieces were exquisite, and this handsome stranger offered me the most coveted of all pieces, the Key to Erebor itself! We had such a lovely time playing this game for hours on end, and surprisingly enough, our relationship remains intact to this day, amidst the rumor that this particular game of Monopoly has toppled even the strongest of Kings and Queens!"

Hm, who could that brooding, handsome short-of-stature person be?

Now, if only he could bring it to me on my birthday, Squeee!!!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2015, 3:55pm

Post #2 of 11 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I want this. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 12 2015, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 11 (2031 views)
Shortcut
I don't have that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor any version of Monopoly that is set in Middle-earth. I do, however, possess a The Lord of the Rings edition of Risk. Alas, I have never had the opportunity to play it (and I should have held out for the LotR Trilogy edition that includes the lands of Gondor and Mordor).

My wife has My Little Pony Monopoly (she is a MLP collector) and wants My Little Pony: The Game of Life.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 12 2015, 4:37pm)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 12 2015, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 11 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

When I quickly glanced through your post at first, I thought the review you included was the actual description of the game and thought, "wow, the marketers really know their fanbase!" Wink

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Feb 12 2015, 7:08pm

Post #5 of 11 (2008 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Risk [In reply to] Can't Post

This was on an episode of the Big Bang Theory recently - Sheldon had to have the green pieces. Does that mean anything, or was that just Sheldon being Sheldon? I imagine that'd be a pretty cool game, although that would be a bummer not to have Gondor or Mordor!

#OneLastTime

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 12 2015, 7:32pm

Post #6 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine playing for hours with HIMEvilHeartHeartHeart

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 12 2015, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 11 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Re: LotR Risk [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This was on an episode of the Big Bang Theory recently - Sheldon had to have the green pieces. Does that mean anything, or was that just Sheldon being Sheldon? I imagine that'd be a pretty cool game, although that would be a bummer not to have Gondor or Mordor!

I saw that episode. I did not notice whether they were using the Trilogy edition (although I see that prices for that are now through the roof). According to the rules booklet, the forces break down as follows:

Arnor = Red = 11 territories
Rhovanion = Brown = 8 territories
Rohan = Blue = 7 territories
Eriador = Olive = 7 territories
Mirkwood = Green = 5 territories
Rhun = Purple = 4 territories

However, I don't think there is any special significance to the colors of the actual pieces (Red, Yellow, Green and Black). In addition, battalions are represented by Character pieces:

Forces of Good:
- Infantry; Elven Archer; 1 battalion
- Cavalry; Rider of Rohan; 3 battalions
- Creature; Eagle; 5 battalions

Forces of Evil:
- Infantry; Orc; 1 battalion
- Cavalry; Dark Rider; 3 battalions
- Creature; Cavetroll; 5 battalions

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 12 2015, 8:46pm)

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 13 2015, 1:09am

Post #8 of 11 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Why not? I have LOTR Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit [In reply to] Can't Post

No one will play them with me so they've become treasures.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

(This post was edited by Kirly on Feb 13 2015, 1:10am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 13 2015, 1:51am

Post #9 of 11 (1968 views)
Shortcut
Games [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend has 2 LOTR Trivial Pursuit games, one based on the books, and one on the movies. She wins when we play the book version, and I win when we play the movie version. After AUJ came out, she asked me if I'd be interested in a Hobbit Trivial Pursuit game, and my answer was yes, but that no one would want to play with me since I've seen the movie so many times. She laughed and agreed. So I didn't get it. Unimpressed

#OneLastTime

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 13 2015, 2:16am

Post #10 of 11 (2043 views)
Shortcut
If I play any kind of board game with Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would just let him win (if I could keep my mind on the game, that is), since I think he might be a bit of a sore loser. He's had enough grief in his life, don't you think? Wink

I have a PotC Monopoly game (haven't played it, yet), and have owned LotR Trilogy Risk and LotR Monopoly Trilogy edition (unfortunately, I don't have them any longer). I played the latter with a good friend of mine, and lost! Probably because she bought all of the horses (and I thought that I was the fan). I've never played Risk, either the classic edition or the LotR edition. I have the Hobbit: AUJ Adventure Game, so if I lived in the same town (and county), perhaps we could play it, Kim (as long as I get to control Thorin. After all, it's my game), since this is yet another game I haven't played yet. It was on sale a while back for $7.50 marked down from $22.00 or so.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2015, 2:47am

Post #11 of 11 (1960 views)
Shortcut
No opportunity to play it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll send my Geeky Son right over with our set! He wants to play it with us more often than we ever have time to - well, it does take 3-4 hours, even more, per game!

He's good. Last time I was all ready to secure Mordor, when he came barging in with troops and wiped me out. Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.