Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** 'The Fellowship of the Ring' ch. 9-2, 'At the Sign of the Prancing Pony': Dramatis Personnae
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sador
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 2:15pm

Post #26 of 28 (420 views)
Shortcut
I admit forgetting Shelob's lair, but you can't really call it a house. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Several very good business reasons...

Oh, that's very good!

In Reply To
Yes. Who do you think does all the cooking, cleaning, washing, etc?

Sounds right. Even if he does refer to his "people" in the next chapter.

In Reply To
Shows Butterbur knows who has the money in Bree. And the power.

Which explains Gandalf's comment that he can see through a wall of bricks (Many Meetings).

In Reply To

A successful merchant has lots of experience dealing with bad customers under stressful conditions. A really good merchant can even turn such dealings to his advantage.

As you see, the Master had not got his position for nothing. The result of his words was that for the moment the people quite forgot their idea of a new king, and turned their angry thoughts towards Thorin and his company.

- Fire and Water

In Reply To

Butterbur meets his prejudices (kind and stupid) quite deliberately
Strider represents something strange, new, exciting, vaguely frightening, and, in the end, endearing.

Right you are. Was there ever such a greenhorn as Frodo?

sador
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 2:18pm

Post #27 of 28 (415 views)
Shortcut
Just another point: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Homeward Bound, Butterbur says that Gandalf always takes care of his horse himself. But later he does trust the men of Minas Tirith with Shadowfax. Apparently his opinion of Bob as an ostler wasn't high.

sador
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 3:38pm

Post #28 of 28 (422 views)
Shortcut
A gratuitious response. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Plus whatever “gratuities” he might accrue. I’m surprised he didn’t demand one from the hobbits.

Perhaps he recognised Merry, and decided not to get in trouble.
But it's interesting that Frodo only didn;t like his look, while he did think of the little money he had when Strider hinted that he will want a reward.

In Reply To
Given “Nob” is a town settled by the tribe of Benjamin, I’m tempted to say Nob is Butterbur’s youngest son

At the very least, he was one of the Sons of Ben.
Small wonder the hobbits asked for a song from the strangers! Anything would be better than to here Nob reciting again something like:

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying; And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying.

They even thought The Cat and the Fiddle better!

In Reply To

one can only wonder at how draconian the penalties must be for any violation of the Bree-land Naming Act.
Obviously Bree is being ruled by an iron fist.

Not necessarily.
Tar and feathers do the job just as well.

In Reply To

Rather a dead giveaway, as ancient belief held that fern seeds bestowed invisibility.

"I knew there was something wrong, when a stout little fellow with red cheeks, taller than some and fairer than most, a perky chap with a bright eye and a cleft in his chin, came along calling himself Ferny. It was a dead giveaway. Dead giveaway."

In Reply To

Probably anticipated meeting hobbits, but not any Hobbits, if you get my drift.

And it is never advisable to count on your prejudices regarding Outsiders to be universlly applicable. True.

In Reply To

Maybe like leaving Fatty to play Frodo Baggins in Crickhollow, Gandalf planned to immediately transfer Frodo’s cover identity to a real Underhill at Bree and leave behind yet another decoy for the Enemy, the poor sap.

How many spare cloaks do you think Frodo had?
Or did you think that after Bilbo had to borrow Dwalin's, the family decided never to repeat the incident?

In Reply To

Of course he didn’t mention them! What prances in The Pony, stays in The Pony!

First they chomp
Then they stomp
Then they stand still.

In Reply To

Obviously this guy learned his cover much better than Mr. Underhill.

He took lessons from the Master of fifth columnists.

In Reply To

I remember the Republicans who bolted the party to vote Democratic in the 1884 US Presidential election. They were called “Mugwumps”...

'You remember?' said sador, speaking his thought aloud in his astonishment. 'But I thought,' he stammered as Darkstone turned towards him, 'I thought that the fall of James G. Blaine was a long age ago.'

In Reply To

Another ale shuts him up. He knows his priorities. As does Butterbur.

If only TPTB knew my priorities half as well, you wouldn't be saddled with so many posts to answer!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.