Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's take a trip down memory lane. What is your fondest memory from your Hobbit journey, 2008-2014?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 10:16pm

Post #1 of 75 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Let's take a trip down memory lane. What is your fondest memory from your Hobbit journey, 2008-2014? Can't Post

And why?

"Fondest memory" is open to interpretation - it can be anything that makes you feel happy and cheery, or something which leaves you with that warm fuzzy feeling when you reminisce about it. It might be something incredibly specific (a quote, perhaps), or something very broad. But your memory must be during the pre-production, production, and post-production of The Hobbit trilogy (roughly 2008-2014).

Is it the hearing/reading the first pieces of news during early pre-production (April 2008) of one Hobbit movie?
Is it the news of a second bridge movie?
Is it the official greenlight announcement (2010)?
Or is It it news that Peter Jackson would direct the movies?
Is it the first casting announcements and/or announcements of returning cast members?
Is it when the very first images of the Dwarves were released?
We can't forget Quint's set reports! Is your fondest memory devouring them, and then getting frustrated when there were no more (where are the answers to those 20 questions, PJ?)
Or maybe it is the very first video blog - "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit".
Is it the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
Is it the surprise announcement that 2 movies would become 3 (June 2012)?
Is it the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?
Is it the release of The Hobbit: There and Back Again The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies?

Or is it something else? Perhaps your memory is related to merchandise, awards or the Hobbit soundtrack? Maybe even a Moot or a convention? It might not even be directly related to the movie - perhaps it brings back memories of past and present friends and family, or the fact the movies inspired you to read the books (for the first time, or the 700th time). It might even be TORn forum related.

So, let's all take a trip down memory lane and share what our fondest memories of our Hobbit journey are.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 10:46pm

Post #2 of 75 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really excited when PJ took over from Del Toro because I don't really like his style. And I was hoping the hobbit film/s would flow nicely into the lotrs...

Little did I know Peter Jackson would butcher these films as badly as George Lucas did the sw prequels!!

(This post was edited by Avnar on Feb 10 2015, 10:47pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2015, 10:57pm

Post #3 of 75 (1833 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be the memory of a long car trip I took the day after I saw AUJ for the first time. I liked AUJ a lot when I saw it (as did the family members I saw it with). But the following day, as I was driving along (alone, for three hours) I found that scenes from the movie were coming back to me, and I had questions I wanted answers to (that meant I would have to go see it again to catch things I might have missed). I was also thinking about the differences between the film and the book, and my thoughts made my anticipation for the next film (or, did we already know it would be 2 films?) increase.

I decided they were going to flesh out the Thorin character so that, in the end, I would better understand where Bilbo was coming from, when he mourned Thorin's death. And that this is what a lot of the changes (the Stone Giants, the scenes about home, the fight with Azog, the Carrock scene) were in aid of. That was something I had not expected, and thought I would really like.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 11:03pm

Post #4 of 75 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Oh, there are so many moments of which i'm fond... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was really delighted to be able to see Hobbiton again, which always seemed to be such a happy, homely place - and was equally delighted to hear it was going to be preserved as a tourist attraction.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 11:06pm

Post #5 of 75 (1847 views)
Shortcut
My Top 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Finding out about the greenlight announcement and rushing to get to TORn to see what everyone had to say about it. No one I know is a Tolkien fan so no one understood my squees of joy Laugh so it was great to be among people at TORn who *did* understand Smile. Fun times.

2. Finding out there would be 2, then 3 movies (ok, that makes it My Top 3 1/2, I guess Wink). But for each announcement I was very glad. More ME = more happy for me!

3. Sitting in the movie theater for AUJ, as the movie began - when the music started, I teared up. Ok I'm a sap, I admit, lol. Happy tears. I missed seeing the original trilogy in the theaters, so I was thrilled to be watching TH in the theater. A great moment.

Honorable Mention: Experiencing the eagles rescue scene in HFR. That was glorious.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 11:07pm

Post #6 of 75 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Hearing Gandalf say ... [In reply to] Can't Post

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!"
In all of the reports that I had heard leading up to BotFA and in the ten days that it was released in various places before I got to see it, I had not seen any indication that these lines were actually in the film. Of all of the iconic moments from the book, it is the only one that I experienced seeing and hearing without knowing that it was coming.
Second would probably be hearing "In a hole in a ground, there lived a Hobbit ... " in the first production blog.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 75 (1785 views)
Shortcut
I will never forget the days of pre-Greenlight angst and then the wonderful GREENLIGHT day [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 10 2015, 11:21pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2015, 11:24pm

Post #8 of 75 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman cast as Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

was a favorite moment. We had many long debates about the actor who would be Bilbo, and Martin Freeman came up again and again. For a while, it seemed he would not be available, but finally it worked out. Later, we learned that Peter Jackson had the same idea - that no one but Freeman could be Bilbo. Fortunately, it all worked out, and he was the perfect Bilbo.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 11:31pm

Post #9 of 75 (1782 views)
Shortcut
It's probably a bit too soon to answer these questions [In reply to] Can't Post

…(at least for me). However, I wasn't paying much attention to AUJ before it came out because I thought it would just be a straight book to film children's construct. When I heard PJ was going to direct it, I got a little more interested.

It was when I saw the film that I was amazed at the characterisation of Thorin and Bilbo in particular (I knew what to expect of Sir Ian). I am extremely fond of the scene at Bilbo's house, especially the Misty Mountain Song (but excepting one or two gross moments, which rather spoil a bit of the scene for me).

I also remember the Eagles scene very well, and love it, as well as the Erebor blast we had at the beginning of the film.

I was also delighted at the three-film split – and films three and one fulfilled all my expectations.

But as I say, it is a little early for me to look back at my fondest memory (would be easier to do for LotR, as it were from a distance).

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 11:31pm

Post #10 of 75 (1790 views)
Shortcut
The Misty Mountains song and music in the first (?) trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I was uber excited by the singing and the way Shore made the music soar instrumentally like the best noble examples of the Fellowship and Shire themes.

I tried to track down my comment at Doug's blog after I saw the trailer but couldn't find it.

I also enjoyed Guillermo's tenure on the boards here. He was so generous to us fans and I was genuinely interested in what he was talking about. Although, technically, he was involved with the project before it reached its 'pre-production' phase.

For kicks, here's a timeline of the Hobbit film project leading up to greenlight I did for the TORn History wiki.

http://mathom-house.net/...n/HobbitFilmTimeline

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 10 2015, 11:35pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 11:40pm

Post #11 of 75 (1796 views)
Shortcut
"Do you mean that it is a good morning, or......" [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I'd read so many comments before the film came out about how they couldn't possibly include that conversation - no time, too old-fashioned for a modern film etc - and suddenly there was Gandalf on the screen, much, much larger than life saying those very words, and Bilbo looking faintly bemused and wondering how to reply.

That stands out for me. Also the closing song of AUJ which, to be honest, I didn't care for very much when we first heard it before the film came out. But in the cinema, after watching the film for the first time, it fell into place. It had that indefinable magic that I first felt on hearing the closing song of 'Fellowship' - a shiver down the spine and something hard to put into words. Only this time the feeling was "We're back."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 11:56pm

Post #12 of 75 (1783 views)
Shortcut
I admit I was one of those people [In reply to] Can't Post

I really did not think that they would include the "good morning" sequence, and seldom have I been so glad to have been proven wrong!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2015, 12:00am

Post #13 of 75 (1742 views)
Shortcut
The Greenlight Day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Guillermo del Toro posting on the TORN discussion boards. :) :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 12:02am

Post #14 of 75 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Mine's pretty easy to pin down [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a little "war" burnout after ROTK (kind of sick of beheadings and epic battles), and although TH was a possibility that people were batting around, I figured I'd hear about it if it came about. I pretty much forgot about it after that. (My kids were little and I was pretty wrapped up in just surviving their toddler years.) I wasn't on TORn and I didn't know anything about any of the preproduction stuff. I do remember hearing Richard Armitage was cast (I knew him from North & South) and seeing the original images of Thorin looking kind of Klingon--but still I didn't pay any attention to the excitement about the movie.

Finally during the NFL playoffs in Jan. 2012 I finally saw some of the AUJ trailers on TV. I figured when I finally got some free time, I'd just go see it, if only to get another glimpse of the ME PJ had created visually and that I had so loved in LOTR.

I got into the theater, and when the Howard Shore score started playing, even as the New Line logo came on the screen, I teared up. I felt I had been wandering away from home and had finally come back. I was really battling the tears when I heard Sir Ian Holm say, "My dear Frodo"...and then I heard the words from the book, and met dear young fussy Bilbo and all the wonderful Dwarves... For some reason I still can't quite explain, I was moved and touched in a way the LOTR movies had never done (although I quite like them). I walked out of the theater filled with joy. And then I went back for more again and again, and joined TORn to talk about it, and went back again and again some more! Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Feb 11 2015, 12:04am)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 11 2015, 12:48am

Post #15 of 75 (1737 views)
Shortcut
del toro [In reply to] Can't Post

when del toro was announced as director! I had so much hope when i heard this.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 11 2015, 12:57am

Post #16 of 75 (1741 views)
Shortcut
For this Sentimental OL' Poop..? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have to be the FIRST ..3D 48FPS Marathon...
Last December..

A few days Before anyone else in the USA
would get to SEE the Third Film..
{ Even PJ came on Screen Before BOT5A.. & Told us THAT, personally..}

...Felt like littl' ol' bomby... for once? was sortaSPECIAL &
NOT sum stupid, messed-up, TolkienFREAK

SSOoo..overwhelmed.?.?.?.?
bom got lost {FREEZING} in the Parking Structure, until a Security Guy helped me
FIND my car..

You would have NOT liked Looking @ my face..
A TRAIN Wreck of a Face.

{ I had promised Goldberry I would see it, & YES
He was... was sitting next to me...the whole Time in my GAY mind
but long DEAD }

That night Dec. 9th 2014 ..he would? have been 74 years old
YET? Cancer had robbed HIM of the experience.

It was a PROMISE Bomby needed to keep..
For the Sake of my Sanity...

The Next day came UP? Brighter, &, a , a, a, Clear Calm came over Bomby..

Mission Accomplished
Heart izz all you EVER need.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Thrain II
Lorien

Feb 11 2015, 1:06am

Post #17 of 75 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Te first trailer, [In reply to] Can't Post

when I heard Misty Mountains song, and then Howard Shore's music, I was over the moon!

I must say how nice it is to read all the fond memories that we here will have connected to this trilogy, and by reading yours I also remember all that fond moments... Awesome topic! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 11 2015, 1:16am

Post #18 of 75 (1707 views)
Shortcut
What a great idea, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Two of your ideas actually are high points for me:

Or is It it news that Peter Jackson would direct the movies? I actually was not excited until the change was announced. I really enjoy much of Guillermo's work, but I wanted TH to be made by the same hands. So it was after that when I started paying attention.

Or maybe it is the very first video blog - "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit". I think I watched it about 50 times. This is at the top of the list for me.
In addition, coming out of AUJ with my BFF and my son and niece. We all had colds, but we were all so happy at the renewal of M-e in film!

It was after this came out that I checked in on TORn again, and lurked around. Until January of 2013. After AUJ was released is when I re-joined TORn (having forgotten my old nick). So that is a great point.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 1:20am

Post #19 of 75 (1714 views)
Shortcut
The earliest Production Diaries and the Teaser Trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those things really recaptured the "magic" of the Lord of the Rings films for me, and it gave me a period of time where I felt like I was really stepping back into the past. The films didn't really end up delivering on that feeling for me (though, I still enjoyed them), but the spine-tingling sensations I felt during this period can't be taken away. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 11 2015, 1:22am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 11 2015, 1:21am

Post #20 of 75 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Can't be just one! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Having not had a great year and reading an online article about the "Thorin casting controversy" and idly clicking the link to the first released Thorin image and having my jaw drop and suddenly getting really interested in this "kiddie-movie-that-Peter-Jackson-was-making-by-way-of-a-break" LOL

2) The first scene of Martin Freeman's Bilbo and Gandalf and watching a cherished part of the book so richly brought to vivid life and just being immediately swept away into Middle Earth.

3) The release of the second DOS trailer, because there hadn't been much news and I missed my beloved dwarves....I was freaking out that day in a good way.

4) The DOS fan event which felt like being part of something special, 'round the world.

5) The DOS marathon - really great time, the BOFA marathon was good too but the DOS day and night for me was special.

6) Joining TORn and all the great people I have interacted with, and everything I have learned and laughed at and enjoyed.

CoolSmileHeart

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 1:24am

Post #21 of 75 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Oops, I meant Jan. 2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

(not Jan. 2012) in my post!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 1:26am

Post #22 of 75 (1704 views)
Shortcut
For me it was [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time I saw the Shire on the big screen. I remember sitting in that theatre, just awestruck at how the Shire looked. It was absolutely perfect to me. That was and still is the fondest memory I have of these movies. The scenery in the Fellowship knocked me on my butt. I was just blown away....cgi or not.....blew my mind.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 11 2015, 2:04am

Post #23 of 75 (1689 views)
Shortcut
OH, and winning tickets to the DoS Live Event in NYC! [In reply to] Can't Post

that was awesome. Cool

Kim
Valinor

Feb 11 2015, 3:01am

Post #24 of 75 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Excellent topic, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not going to be able to pick just one, so here are my top 5:

1. Dec 2011: Seeing the AUJ teaser trailer. I distinctly remember my reaction - "It looks just the same!" followed by "Oh! They're singing!"
  2. Nov 2012: The Wellington world premiere. I hadn't been following pre-production too closely (had watched a few of the vlogs) but as the release was getting closer, I started to follow a few pages on Facebook. I remember scrolling through it one night and coming across a post that announced the live stream of the premiere in a 1/2 hour. Due to the time difference, it was a perfect time for me to watch. I texted my friend who is also a big fan, and we ended up watching it at the same time. This was really what started to get me excited for the movie. I then went back and watched all the vlogs, watched the other premieres and started counting down the days to the release.
  3. Dec 2012: Watching AUJ for the first, second and third times. I had a huge smile on my face as the logos came up on screen and curled up in my seat to enjoy going back to Middle Earth. My reaction after the first was, "That was great, when can we see it again?" For the second (where we decided to check out the HFR to see what all the fuss was about), my reaction was, "That was even better, what's wrong with the critics?" For the third, we made some other friends go see it in HFR and everyone's reaction was, "That was great!"
  4. Feb 2013: I started lurking on TORn. By this point, I had worn out most of my friends and family with my endless need to discuss The Hobbit, so I went looking for somewhere I could see discussions of others who were just as interested as I was while I was waiting for the movie to come out on DVD.
  5. Aug 2013: I joined TORn, started posting and haven't slowed down since.

Smile

So Daniel, what is your fondest memory?

#OneLastTime

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 11 2015, 3:12am

Post #25 of 75 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Mine is easy [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing the movies in the theater every Christmas with my brother. AUJ came out when I was a freshman in college so you can imagine I was a bit excited: finishing finals, Christmas, coming home, and seeing a new Middle-earth movie in the span of a couple weeks! It continued through DOS and BOFA, and I will treasure those experiences of anticipation, as well as the good memories I shared with my brother about The Hobbit (who although he is not as crazy as I am, enjoyed the films and always put up with my Hobbit mania!), for the rest of my life.

It wasn't just seeing the films that was memorable, it was the experiences I had around the films which will make this time so memorable to me!

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Feb 11 2015, 3:13am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.