Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone else think there needs to be a Tolkien game (ala) Skyrim?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 7:23pm

Post #1 of 15 (898 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else think there needs to be a Tolkien game (ala) Skyrim? Can't Post

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 10 2015, 7:24pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 7:26pm

Post #2 of 15 (663 views)
Shortcut
I am waiting for it 15 years and more... [In reply to] Can't Post

... "The White Council" was supposed to like that... but it didn't go far. LotRO is the only attempt to really create the world... but I have grown tired of it.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 7:28pm

Post #3 of 15 (645 views)
Shortcut
I'd love such a game [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, i don't think we'll ever get one.... Frown

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 10 2015, 8:00pm

Post #4 of 15 (608 views)
Shortcut
Well we have the Lego games. That's almost similar! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rubber John
The Shire

Feb 10 2015, 8:07pm

Post #5 of 15 (613 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lego games are fantastic and very substantial.
Despite the Lego visuals, puzzles and jokes, they really do capture the atmosphere of Middle Earth.
I know of more adults that play them than I do children.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 9:41pm

Post #6 of 15 (600 views)
Shortcut
Assuming you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

a console based game? There is LOTRO already which is similar....not the same...but similar.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 10:34pm

Post #7 of 15 (570 views)
Shortcut
Meh, MMO... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a fan of MMOs. They can be decent and pretty fun with a few friends but i'd much rather play a single player game. They usually are so much more interesting narratively and mechanically, with a much more reactive world and much higher fidelity visuals. I played LOTRO for a while when it came out but it's terribly outdated now.

As for Lego games. I'm sure they are a fun diversion but it's not what i'm looking for, personally.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 10 2015, 10:35pm)

demnation
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
I think Shadow of Mordor is about as close as we've gotten [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pretty good and has gotten a surprising amount of attention in the main stream, which bodes well for future Middle-earth games. So your ME Skyrim clone could be in the cards yet.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Farficom
Rivendell

Feb 11 2015, 12:21am

Post #9 of 15 (540 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never leave my house. Wait... I don't do that much now because I like my books better than most people, hehehe.

Name
Rohan

Feb 11 2015, 1:56am

Post #10 of 15 (518 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTRO really was/is great, but like others said, it does get tiring after a while. Other than that there really is very little unfortunately Unsure

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Osskil
Bree

Feb 11 2015, 4:24am

Post #11 of 15 (512 views)
Shortcut
There nearly was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a fan-made version built on the Oblivion engine and then updated and redone for Skyrim. Got shut down by WB, though. You can still find some videos on YT of the worldmap, and some pictures on ModDB and elsewhere of the models and cities they were building using the Skyrim engine. It would have been the entire continent, from the edge of the southern lands to the sea in the West and Rhun in the East and the wastes in the north.

Really, really sad.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 11 2015, 12:21pm

Post #12 of 15 (462 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried the Lego games? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can promise you they will surprise you at how perfectly they capture the atmosphere of the movies, and they're really fun and quite similar style to Skyrim. It does have the sense of humour, but its also very respectful to the films. Lego Lord of the Rings is one of the most underrated games I've played.

Try the demo, it doesn't really give you the sense of open-worldness that the game offers, because the demo is just a single level. But it does show how the atmosphere is captured and the attention to detail the designers achieve.

Once you get used to the game you pretty much forget that they're all Lego, because you get so immersed in exploring the gigantic Middle-earth map. It's much more a Lord of the Rings game than it is a Lego game IMO.

Seriously, don't close your mind thinking it's childish or silly just because it's Lego. It's really masterfully handled and quite challenging and rewarding and has tonnes of replay value. It's the best Lord of the Rings game available, without doubt and Lego Hobbit is close second.

Rubber John
The Shire

Feb 11 2015, 5:57pm

Post #13 of 15 (419 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with everything you say here. Some of the terms you used really hit home, particularly about how rewarding the game can be.

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 11 2015, 5:58pm

Post #14 of 15 (422 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

Well more Red Dead Redemption less Skyrim. Sly

I just dream of a LotR game where you can move around in Middle Earth to these places we have seen in the movies, read of in the books and can play many of the characters we have come to love. And for love of all - NOT just fighting. Basically any LotR game I have tried has been fight fight fight and nothing else. It's SO boring and repetitive. It would have been much more fun to get on a horse, be a Rohirrim or what not and ride through Edoras, fight some orcs etc.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 8:00pm

Post #15 of 15 (414 views)
Shortcut
No but i have watched other people play them [In reply to] Can't Post

The games are not for me. And they are nothing like Skyrim.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.