The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Bibos return journey

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 2:06am

Post #1 of 4 (636 views)
Shortcut
Bibos return journey Can't Post

Theres quite alot of literature of the fellowships return journeys in lord of the rings, but is there much mention of bilbos and gandalfs after the BOT5A. I always wonder how they pass the mountains and if theres a tale or two to tell..

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 2:29am

Post #2 of 4 (537 views)
Shortcut
Now that's something I wonder about as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo says in LOTR somewhere (I think) that he wishes he had had more time to explore Middle-earth when he and Gandalf were returning from Erebor. So I would assume from that that they took a pretty straight course back to Rivendell. But that is an alley that I think fanfiction should explore sometime. I would do it, only I prefer writing my own stories in my own way, without restrictions based on someone else's inventions. Smile

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

squire
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 3:05am

Post #3 of 4 (563 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien says yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

As he tells us at the end of Chapter 18, Bilbo has "many adventures" on the way home, but was never in "great' danger at any time. Hmmph.
Then the elves turned towards the Forest, and Bilbo started on his long road home.
He had many hardships and adventures before he got back. The Wild was still the Wild, and there were many other things in it in those days besides goblins; but he was well guided and well guarded -- the wizard was with him, and Beorn for much of the way -- and he was never in great danger again. Anyway by mid-winter Gandalf and Bilbo had come all the way back, along both edges of the Forest, to the doors of Beorn’s house; and there for a while they both stayed. Yule-tide was warm and merry there; and men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn’s bidding. The goblins of the Misty Mountains were now few and terrified, and hidden in the deepest holes they could find; and the Wargs had vanished from the woods, so that men went abroad without fear. ... It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun, before Bilbo and Gandalf took their leave at last of Beorn, and though he longed for home, Bilbo left with regret, for the flowers of the gardens of Beorn were m springtime no less marvellous than in high summer. At last they came up the long road, and reached the very pass where the goblins had captured them before. ... There far away was the Lonely Mountain on the edge of eyesight. On its highest peak snow yet unmelted was gleaming pale.
“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!” said Bilbo, and he turned his back on his adventure.
- Hobbit 18.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 1:39pm

Post #4 of 4 (547 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Gandalf found his more-or-less decent Giant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Gandalf might have made a side-trip in the Misty Mountains to block off the 'Back Porch' entrance to Goblin-town, assuming the Wizard found himself a suitably tractable Giant to assist him.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.