The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It Seems The Last Wave of Excitement Has Almost Died Off On The TH Board
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 8:34pm

Post #1 of 58 (2338 views)
Shortcut
It Seems The Last Wave of Excitement Has Almost Died Off On The TH Board Can't Post

Just an observation that I find to be somewhat sad. :( The end of an era.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 8:37pm

Post #2 of 58 (1473 views)
Shortcut
I am sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

... one article about the EE and people will be back. :)

But yes, it will get calmer eventually.

Maybe a sub-forum for PJ's furture projects?

But in all cases, I am sure there will still be a lot of interesting threads, also in the Reading and LotR forums. But not the 25 threads a day we had in the Decembers of '12, '13 and '14 ;)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Feb 9 2015, 8:38pm)

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 58 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Does feel like the end of an era!

Hopefully the movie industry will see there's a Middle Earth sized hole the future film landscape, and we'll get some exciting new fantasy adaptations in the near future. Not sure how involved Jackson will be, but I bet Weta will be prominent.

Maybe some new Game of Thrones and Star Wars can provide a fantasy fix in the meantime...

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 8:58pm

Post #4 of 58 (1386 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that's a bad thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2015, 9:45pm

Post #5 of 58 (1327 views)
Shortcut
World of Warcraft :P [In reply to] Can't Post

In all seriousness, though, the director is supposedly good. Might not be as trashy as other videogame adaptations.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 58 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Ha [In reply to] Can't Post

Well at least in WoW no one will complain about too much CGI Tongue

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 9 2015, 10:34pm

Post #7 of 58 (1232 views)
Shortcut
It will be apparent who the true long term participants are and those who were [In reply to] Can't Post

mere short term visitors. I wonder what the regular drop off was after LOTR and how many of us were consistent posters throughout.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9 2015, 10:46pm

Post #8 of 58 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've tried... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've sent TORn links to several stories about Cubicle 7's The One Ring Roleplaying Game, but no one seems to care enough to use them. The next supplement should be available for pre-order by the end of the week, so I'll send the link for that story too when it's available.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 9 2015, 10:47pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 11:35pm

Post #9 of 58 (1268 views)
Shortcut
It's a lull [In reply to] Can't Post

For many of us the film is no longer in theaters, so with the DVD not yet out, it's gotten quiet. But once the DVD is available, there will be discussions starting up again.
Don't be sad KT Heart, we shall see The Party Tree a-bloom once again around these parts Smile.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 12:53am

Post #10 of 58 (1189 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate the optimism [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 1:20am

Post #11 of 58 (1089 views)
Shortcut
I shall be [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Party Tree!

Also hoping that filmakers note the Middle Earth sized hole in the theaters....

and Tolkien is classic.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 1:57am

Post #12 of 58 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Great thoughts. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For many of us the film is no longer in theaters, so with the DVD not yet out, it's gotten quiet. But once the DVD is available, there will be discussions starting up again.
Don't be sad KT Heart, we shall see The Party Tree a-bloom once again around these parts Smile.

And I must say, I love that shot of Legolas in your avatar.

Thrain II
Lorien

Feb 10 2015, 2:20am

Post #13 of 58 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the end of an era indeed. Unsure At least we still have BOFA EE to wait. Smile After that we can say that it is definitely the end. It is sad that journey is almost over, and for me it's sad that this journey didn't finish on a high note as the first one. Unimpressed

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 5:01am

Post #14 of 58 (1019 views)
Shortcut
I think so! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL I remember during the looooooooooooooong summer before DOS I was practically prostrating myself at the gates of TORn - re security it was so newsless. And quiet. The first DOS image I saw
was the one one of Thorin and Bilbo on a German game box.....then there were the fuzzy leaked calender images *happy days* and then the floodgates opened....

So I have a wait and see attitude - heck, didn't PJ say he'd be working a couple of months on the EE? All boards have active/less active periods, and I am going to cross my fingers that one day,
we will get a lot of unreleased footage, that there will be books, even perhaps a *controversial* prequel w. some of the cast.

Besides, I haven't even gone back to re-read the Hobbit yet! And also, if it hasn't been said, the "Make the Hobbit Happen" fan community deserves many accoladesSmile, as PJ went through a lot to
make the Hobbit happen. So think we have plenty to talk about through the year, at least until everyone is talking about Star Wars.Cool

Even then, there's no Thorin and Bilbo and dwarves and Thranduil and Gandalf.Heart..so I'll always visit the Party Tree.Cool

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2015, 5:43am

Post #15 of 58 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Speaking for myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found myself a bit fatigued by an abundance of negativity that seemed to be overpowering the board a bit ago. I enjoyed the last film quite a bit and love discussing it, but when every other post was starting to be "wasn't this such a mess?" or "how should this have been done?" or "this fan edit is so much better", etc., etc. - I tended to get a bit deflated. So I did myself a favor and have been spending more time on the Main and Off Topic boards.

Can't wait for March 24, though (and, of course, the Extended Edition further down the line...) Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 10 2015, 5:50am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 7:58am

Post #16 of 58 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Humm..? Well, there is ALWAYS this... [In reply to] Can't Post

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ry4ArfMSLg&feature=youtube_gdata_player&fb_ref=Default

THIS Movie is NEVER over,
MAYBE for EVER?

RE-Packaged...
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 8:25am

Post #17 of 58 (1043 views)
Shortcut
When one door closes, another opens. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not quite the end - we still have the extended edition to very much look forward to, as well as merchandise pieces.

But if you are looking for Middle-earth enthusiasm and eagerness, you are still in the right place for it. There's plenty of fun to be had outside The Hobbit Movie board. Who knew you can have fun on the Feedback board as well!

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 8:32am

Post #18 of 58 (987 views)
Shortcut
I sense an ulterior motive in the links you provided [In reply to] Can't Post

You are just trying to promote your book so you can fly - literally and/or metaphorically - to the top of the bestseller list. Laugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 8:41am

Post #19 of 58 (964 views)
Shortcut
AGREED looks like Greed... to me// [In reply to] Can't Post

ONCE you became Immortal

WE LOST something from your Personality?
Something went terribly WRONG

Bomby has NEVER felt a Need to "Bankrole"
{get a Paycheck form TORn}
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 10 2015, 8:46am)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 8:45am

Post #20 of 58 (976 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

- I'm still waiting for the last Hobbit Extended Edition.

And then, hopefully, someone out there will start working on the next Middle-Earth movie.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 8:49am

Post #21 of 58 (963 views)
Shortcut
You've foiled me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean you no longer want the royalties from being co-inspiration with Brethil? I'll scribble out the dedication, too. Wink

(I love that the thread has the second highest number of replies in the feedback board.)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 10 2015, 8:51am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 10 2015, 8:50am

Post #22 of 58 (1008 views)
Shortcut
But ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
WE LOST something from your Personality?
Something went terribly WRONG

I didn't have a personality to begin with.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 8:59am

Post #23 of 58 (977 views)
Shortcut
Now, now, don't be hasty [In reply to] Can't Post

I might need to rethink that one. The baubles of fame and fortune are not at all important to me, but I wouldn't want to let you down, especially if the first print run is already underway.

Noria
Gondor

Feb 10 2015, 1:21pm

Post #24 of 58 (886 views)
Shortcut
I get you, Aragorn the Elfstone [In reply to] Can't Post

I too get a bit weary of all the negativity because I find that it doesn't lead to very interesting discussions of the movie, both its good points and its bad. So I’m not that interested in defending it at this stage, which is why I am happy that dormouse, Glorfindela and others are leading the charge and I can just chime in to say “what dormouse said” etc.

But isn't that how it was after AUJ and DOS were released? The time for euphoria over BOTFA has passed. Those who disliked the movie need to have their say too and right now it feels like every thread is a negative one or turns that way. But over time I hope and expect that the movie lovers will re-emerge and this time of negativity and nitpicking will pass too, if this year is anything like the past two.

I wonder: will there be a CHOW for BOTFA?

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 2:11pm

Post #25 of 58 (874 views)
Shortcut
We have a bingo :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've found myself a bit fatigued by an abundance of negativity that seemed to be overpowering the board a bit ago. I enjoyed the last film quite a bit and love discussing it, but when every other post was starting to be "wasn't this such a mess?" or "how should this have been done?" or "this fan edit is so much better", etc., etc. - I tended to get a bit deflated. So I did myself a favor and have been spending more time on the Main and Off Topic boards.

Can't wait for March 24, though (and, of course, the Extended Edition further down the line...) Smile

Not to beat this horse again but that is why I took a break and still am slow to come back. Just not enough balance in convo for my taste to be honest. I will mention (I know a shocker to some) things I didn't like but heck I can't hardly mention something I like because its just a mess around here, IMO.

PS: I know there will be others that say it is the other way. So we can save that reply. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.