The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EE Commentaries and extras?

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 6:01pm

Post #1 of 17 (1366 views)
Shortcut
EE Commentaries and extras? Can't Post

I'm watching Fellowship with commentary right now and not for the first time I find myself SO disappointed that they haven't made cast commentaries for the Hobbit. Considering what a colorful and lovely the cast is that is something I had really hoped they would have, but no such luck Unsure Pity really.

On another note I do love the stories we get in the EE dvds. That's always fun. So my question is. Do you all have any favorite moments and stories the cast have told?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 9 2015, 6:53pm

Post #2 of 17 (795 views)
Shortcut
I liked the endless running scene in AUJ and the barrel scenes in DOS commentary. [In reply to] Can't Post

These EEs may have more ongoing as it happens cast shooting material than LOTR...I could be wrong...but that is my impression...and may be why there are no cast commentaries. However, it would be nice to have some.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 9 2015, 6:58pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 17 (744 views)
Shortcut
I found that they made a possibly dangerous incident it hilarious by [In reply to] Can't Post

cutting to a still-baffled Graham McTavish, who said that Stephen Hunter "inexplicably" tried to exit the barrel face-first after they had decided it was best to get out of the barrels another way. Then, it cuts to Bombur trying unsuccessfully to wiggle himself out of the barrel in an almost comical way, with some mischievous-sounding music to boot. Thankfully Hunter was fine after what could have been a dangerous situation, but the way the story was presented made it seem incredibly amusing to me lol.

Also found it funny when McTavish is talking about who had to relieve themselves in the barrel set, as it made Martin Freeman annoyed (Stephen Hunter...Dean O'Gorman). As he says their names it cuts to those two, who both seem to be sporting mischievous grins!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 9 2015, 8:51pm

Post #4 of 17 (696 views)
Shortcut
Bom Finds Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

Graham McTavish a constant Source of Amusement...
especially when is "Interviewed" by his...little Daughter..
YOU can tell he is a GREAT father to her.

...but Bom would have loved to Hear MORE from Ken STOTT
{Balin} since really Nails...his ROLE! Bomzz Favorite Dwarf...

Maybe because he LOOKs like what? Bom always pictured
in my Head, they SHOULD look like..even if they Didn't tuck their
Beards into thier Belts....

Finally you can Tell ALL of them
Loved working for PJ...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 9:22pm

Post #5 of 17 (708 views)
Shortcut
Some of the V-logs [In reply to] Can't Post

are quite funny. There's one where the actors are commenting on Aidan Turner's lack of beard, and James Nesbit says it's because he's not old enough to grow one. There's another one on the AUJ EE where they talk about shooting Goblintown, and all the extras that played goblins started doing this line dance - I kept thinking they should have played "Thriller" for that dance, it was hysterical!

As far as the river goes, in the DOS EE there's a scene where they set up safety nets so the actors could float down the river in the barrels, but some of the actors got past the safety net and had to be picked up by a speedboat. Maybe not so funny, but very interesting.

Naturally I like anything that features Richard ArmitageEvilHeart, but I did notice that Ken Stott hardly ever talks. I don't know if that's because they didn't film him much, or if he's just naturally reluctant to talk about things. Would be strange if an actor is shy, but I suppose it's possible.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 10:29pm

Post #6 of 17 (637 views)
Shortcut
Graham [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say Graham is fantastic!! Laugh I love when he tells stories!! I absolutely love when he tells about the barrels scene where they try to get on land and he kept yanking Adam (Ori) around to get him up. But Adam was unable to get up and do anything because of the stream Laugh

There's also a moment just before that where you see Aidan and Dean struggling in the water when Jed comes floating into them. Then Dean falls and Aidan halfway ontop of him, then the two tries to drag each other on. It always makes me laugh.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 11:27pm

Post #7 of 17 (678 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the Hobbit EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the fact that the commentaries from the actors are integrated with the appendices footage, rather than appearing in interviews, which are far less interesting (and less spontaneous) as far as I'm concerned.

With regard to Ken Stott (mentioned by another poster), I think he is naturally reticent rather than shy.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 12:59am

Post #8 of 17 (608 views)
Shortcut
Ken Stott [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Appendices of AUJ, Aidan pretty much said that Stott wasn't really into the whole food fight scene at Bag End. I think he is just a more quiet guy.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 7:18am

Post #9 of 17 (560 views)
Shortcut
It's not at all strange for an actor to be shy [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, it is very common for actors to describe themselves as such. (I don't know anything about Ken Stott, but I thought you might find the article of interest.)

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 10 2015, 9:25am

Post #10 of 17 (535 views)
Shortcut
Actors [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of actors are only outgoing and confident when they can "hide" behind a role and do not feel comfortable presenting themselves (in interviews, premieres, etc.).

I actually found these to often be the more likeable actors ;)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 11 2015, 2:04am

Post #11 of 17 (391 views)
Shortcut
I'm so with you [In reply to] Can't Post

On the disappointment of no cast commentary. Didn't they have 2 different groups of cast do commentary in addition to the filmmakers? Those were the days! Loved those commentaries.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

(This post was edited by Kirly on Feb 11 2015, 2:15am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 11 2015, 3:45am

Post #12 of 17 (401 views)
Shortcut
My favorite moments [In reply to] Can't Post

Scene 88: I appreciate this scene so much more after having seen how much the actors put into it.

The barrels: this looked like they were all having such a ball!

I too wish there were cast commentaries for the movies, but I love how the Appendices are structured, following the narrative of the story and getting plenty of fun conversations with the cast and crew. I recently re-watched the AUJ Appendices and really enjoyed the section on how they came up with the design for each dwarf, and all the decisions that went into the costumes. I hope we get more of that for the BOFA EE for the dwarves new looks and armor (although we never did get an explanation for that brown bathrobe in DOS...)

#OneLastTime

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2015, 4:00am

Post #13 of 17 (386 views)
Shortcut
It is a Laketown castoff. [In reply to] Can't Post

And easy to see why, too! Wink

Kim
Valinor

Feb 11 2015, 4:08am

Post #14 of 17 (381 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really hoping to hear Ann Maskrey's explanation of how they came up with it. Tongue

#OneLastTime

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 11 2015, 4:30am

Post #15 of 17 (406 views)
Shortcut
The extras and commentaries are fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, do wish they had cast commentary for the movies. I was hoping to get to hear Graham McTavish, Dean O'Gorman, and Steven Hunter comment their way through at least parts of the films. However, I'm very happy with all the extras that are part of this. I try to explain to my non-Tolkien friends that it's the whole package, movies and the extras, that make the Middle Earth movies so special.

I love pretty much anything Graham McTavish did in the extras for both movies. He is fantastic at storytelling. I enjoy Richard Armitage's stories as well.

In DOS I love the stories about the spider webs, filming the fish scenes (those poor guys), and the barrels in the river. I loved how they showed Dean O''Gorman talk about how the water in the river at the end of the barrel scene was cold but it wasn't too bad while he was in an interview setting and then they cut to a clip of him jumping into his barrel and hollering about how the water,um, affected his anatomy.

I can't wait to see what the extras for BOTFA are like.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Kim
Valinor

Feb 13 2015, 1:46am

Post #16 of 17 (322 views)
Shortcut
That's a really fascinating article, thanks Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I was very shy as a child, and could never in a million years imagine getting up on a stage in front of other people. I wonder what it is about some actors who were shy as children that made them get over that fear enough to try? Maybe they could already "become someone else" naturally, so getting on a stage didn't make a difference? I just find it fascinating as the idea of being in a spotlight where everyone could see if I made a mistake really made me nervous.

“Shyness and introversion are not the same thing. Shyness is the fear of negative judgment, and introversion is a preference for quiet, minimally stimulating environments."

This quote really stood out for me. I am not artistic, but reading this article reminds me that I'm still shy in certain situations, definitely an introvert and sensitive. That explains a lot when I think about my interactions with other people.

I find it interesting to think of actors in these terms as I tend think of them as people who crave attention, and want to be in the spotlight and show off. It's refreshing to come across ones who aren't like that.

#OneLastTime

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 13 2015, 6:56am

Post #17 of 17 (320 views)
Shortcut
When the staff at my school undertook some personality testing, [In reply to] Can't Post

part of what we did was find out about introversion / extroversion. I was sure I would come out as the most introverted person on our staff, and I was right. Most of my colleagues were amazed by this, as they all rated me as an extrovert. I learned a lot about myself during this process, and found it affirming as well as informative.
I was shy as a child and a teenager, but excelled at debating and public speaking. I could speak to 700 people at the school prizegiving, but refused to practice my speech in front of my family, because the thought of doing that filled me with anxiety. My work requires me to do a lot of public speaking and 'putting myself out there', and I find this quite easy. But socially I often find things difficult, and I have taught myself what to do by watching other people.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.