The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
CHOW instructions suggestion

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 6 (911 views)
Shortcut
CHOW instructions suggestion Can't Post

Using MS Office Picture Manager, I have never had a problem before when compressing images down to below the 50KB size limit.

However, when I try to compress images from the site which is listed in the TH CHOW discussion thread, they will not compress small enough:

http://screencapped.net/...bnails.php?album=162

In Picture Manager, no matter what I do - resize, compress, crop, etc - the images from this site will not compress smaller than 65KB. That is the only site I'm having this problem with.

I searched around and did find another site that has AUJ and DOS screencaps and I'm able to compress them just fine. Could we please include this site as well in the CHOW instructions post? I think it would be helpful in case anyone else is having the same issue I did with the first site and they might be too bashful to speak up Smile:

http://www.cap-that.com/hobbit/

Thanks!

P.S. Reera the Red's most excellent site is still my favorite for LOTR/TH screencaps, but currently only has AUJ, and I'm not sure if the rest of TH films will ever be posted there.

P.P.S. I have no connection to any of these sites, just trying to be helpful SmileAngelic.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 9 2015, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 6 (862 views)
Shortcut
I don't use MS Office Picture Manager, so I can't help you with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

We linked to that particular site because we found it to be the most consistent website available (for all movies), accessible, user friendly, and with all the screen caps you could possibly need and at a very good quality. Originally, Reera's site was linked in the CHOW sign up threads for AUJ. We never intended for people to solely use that site. It was only ever intended to be a recommendation. As long as the pictures stay in TORn ToS, they can come from anywhere!

I'm happy to edit future CHOW sign up threads to make this clearer. Thanks for pointing it out. Someone else might be able to help you with MS Office Picture Manager.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 9 2015, 6:05pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 6:39pm

Post #3 of 6 (859 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but I don't need help with MS Office Picture Manager :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My post was to suggest including that additional screencap library link in the CHOW stickies for people to use as an alternate recommendation.

Thanks Smile.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 8:44pm

Post #4 of 6 (847 views)
Shortcut
I am able to resize the photos from that site [In reply to] Can't Post

using the image resizer site in the TORn Image Posting Guide, so that's another option for folks to use. I don't know if that's any easier/faster than the method you use, but it works for me. Smile

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ne/Onlineediting.htm

#OneLastTime

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2015, 10:00pm

Post #5 of 6 (844 views)
Shortcut
the image resizer in the TORn Image Posting Guide [In reply to] Can't Post

...is just one I found by googling. I had provided info on how to use Photobucket as a hosting site and how to use their resizing feature but (at least at the time) when an image was resized down in pixel size in Photobucket, it got even larger in KB size. And there was no way to control it.

So I found one that worked. But there are likely other ones out there. And I think there are so many more options than when I did that Guide way back when.

I feel lucky to have Photoshop because it's a dream for resizing images.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 11:16pm

Post #6 of 6 (863 views)
Shortcut
I like using "Inline" from within my TORn post and eliminating the need for an online site [In reply to] Can't Post

I find doing a Save As from the image to my Picture Manager, then resizing it, then just uploading it to my TORn post using Inline attachment, is easiest for me. A few clicks and boom - done Smile.

It just didn't work for that particular site's images - they wouldn't compress small enough. But for other images from other sites, my usual method works just fine. Quick, easy, done and no need to use an online image site.

In Reply To
And I think there are so many more options than when I did that Guide way back when.

I agree, there are a lot of alternatives out there now, beyond what we've covered.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.