Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Actor/Actress Did The Best Job At Portraying Elf Royalty?
Poll: Which Actor/Actress Did The Best Job At Portraying Elf Royalty?
Hugo Weaving as Elrond
Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
Lee Pace as Thranduil
View Results (69 votes)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 9 2015, 5:40am

Post #1 of 11 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Which Actor/Actress Did The Best Job At Portraying Elf Royalty? Can't Post

Curios to here everyone's thoughts on this, as it's a tough choice for me. I kept it to the ones with the most significant roles in the films.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2015, 6:23am

Post #2 of 11 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Cate. [In reply to] Can't Post

She did a great job portraying the perilous danger of Lady of the Golden Wood as well as the ethereal Elf Queen.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2015, 12:45pm

Post #3 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Hugo as Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

There is something about his ability to translate both the tranquility and the kick-arse strength of the elves that makes him my choice. I thought Hugo handled the transitions well. Jumping off a horse after fighting orcs to calmly welcome a Fellowship or a bunch of Dwarves? Sure. Acting the charming host? Yep. Handling a White Council that was getting rather crabby (one of which was his MIL?!)? Noooo problem.

He can walk around in his day robes and look ethereal and then come striding into battle in full armor and still look like the same elf. His voice modulation while speaking Elvish or English is the same voice, not over-strained with the foreign pronunciations. And I liked that his portrayal of the character showed a bit of a sense of humor. He'd lost his wife too but he seemed to have a smile on his face even in the midst of all that was going on more than Galadriel or Thranduil. Maybe it was the half-elven in him... Crazy

Yup for me, it's Hugo Weaving as Elrond.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9 2015, 1:24pm

Post #4 of 11 (1089 views)
Shortcut
It was close. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nearly a tie between Weaving and Blanchett, but I ultimately chose Cate.

Did you intentionally snub Bloom and Tyler?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2015, 6:18pm

Post #5 of 11 (1068 views)
Shortcut
and there they are, coming down to the wire, nose to nose........... [In reply to] Can't Post

I happen to like Thranduil best from the books. I happen to be fond of Mirkwood.

I like all three of these actors, taking on a challenging set of roles, stepping outside of the usual, the mundane, into Faerie.

We actually get to see a lot more of Galadriel and Elrond between the six films, so we've had more time to see subtle variations of their characters.

Lee Pace's Thranduil is perhaps the most insanely beautiful (at least among males), but I'd like to see more of him, and hear lines like "Long will I tarry ere I begin this war for gold." And see the forest feasts, and see other levels of him beyond the Ice King we mostly see in the Hobbit. Though he did have some nice subtle moments too.

All three are in my film Tongue

faaaaaaaaaaaanfictioooooooooooooooooooooooon! HeartHeartHeart

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 9 2015, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 11 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Liv Tyler [In reply to] Can't Post

Elf Royalty ain't Vulcans!!

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 2:54am

Post #7 of 11 (1021 views)
Shortcut
For me at least, it's an easy win for Hugo. [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be a minority among fans, but I've never cared for Cate as Galadriel. Cate is certainly a good actress, but as Galadriel she seems a little too haughty to my mind. I can never forget how she seems to be looking down her nose the first time we see her approaching the Fellowship! And then, I am not in the least a fan of her "nuclear" appearance.

As for Lee as Thranduil, again, I think he's a pretty talented actor, but it's mostly the scripting of Thranduil's character that throws me here. He just doesn't act like an Elf imho.

Now I have some minor issues with Hugo/Elrond as well, but all in all he is definitely my favourite of the three. He, I think, best maintains the balance between seriousness and merriment that an Elf should have. Cate is almost all seriousness; Lee, I can't quite describe. In any case the movie Thranduil is a bit too strange for me (as I said, the problem is more in the script than with Lee himself).

Hope that wasn't too long an answer! Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 10 2015, 3:26am

Post #8 of 11 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I voted for Hugo [In reply to] Can't Post

as I love his Elrond. One of my favorite 'glimpsed' moments is the little smile of pain he has on his face when he stands behind Arwen as she steps forward to join Aragorn.

Speaking of Elves though, I have been a massive Liv fan since FOTR: I was floored by what she did with her voice by giving Arwen such beauty yet gravity, and the commitment to the language skill that was fabulous and partly because it was a bit unexpected (by me anyway). So an honorary vote there.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 10 2015, 1:42pm

Post #9 of 11 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Elrond/hugo' [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 12 2015, 2:58am

Post #10 of 11 (999 views)
Shortcut
Was wondering the same [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, Legolas defined "Elf". I can't imagine that changing.

joec_34
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 5:48pm

Post #11 of 11 (982 views)
Shortcut
Old Pace is one of my favorite actors, but Cate out-acted him on this one imho. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe she just had better writing though...
Mr. Weaving captured the wisdom of Elrond exceptionally, but I always wish that he smiled more. Again, this is more writing than acting. The scene from AUJ EE with Bilbo was PERFECT!

Cate still takes the cake though...she left me in awe.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.