The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Very Intersting Eagle Theory

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Feb 9 2015, 1:49am

Post #1 of 7 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Very Intersting Eagle Theory Can't Post

SmileWe all know the thing non book readers complain about: THE EAGLES. There are many reasons why the eagles didn't assist in the quest but I found a very interesting theory about Gandalf's secret plans and why the eagles didn't help. Enjoy!

http://www.tickld.com/pic/t/938327

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 9 2015, 4:02pm

Post #2 of 7 (1904 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Cute Laugh!

P.S. And welcome to TORn, Bofur's hat Smile.

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 3:55pm

Post #3 of 7 (1821 views)
Shortcut
oooooh, that's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

The line, "Fly, you fools!" really adds credibility to your theory.

Very interesting....I'd like to think it's true.

Has this been discussed before? Has PJ commented on the Eagle issue? I can't remember....

Niniachel
The Shire

Feb 10 2015, 8:36pm

Post #4 of 7 (1797 views)
Shortcut
hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see this theory (I've seen it before on pinterest and 9gag) I cringe a little on the inside because it's not what happens in the books! >___< lol

I'd like to think that PJ tries to stay as true to the books as possible, sometimes leaving out things (Bombadil) which doesn't mean they didn't happen, or adding scenes to give characters more depth (because otherwise Arwen wouldn't have had any lines until the end of ROTK). So I'm pretty sure sir PJ did not have this theory in mind, although of course I can't speak for him.

my main problem with this theory is that the Fellowship was obviously going for stealth to get into Mordor, and flying in by eagle just seems like the opposite thing to do. Frodo might just as well have worn a disco ball suit with "I'm here you big eyeball" painted on his forehead.

And then there's the whole thing with eagles not being able to carry one person for more than a couple of miles, the eagles busy fighting their own war in Erebor, etc etc.

I know people who have only seen the movies think the eagles are a bit like a western cavalry- always arriving at the last minute to save the day- and that's true, but there's just so much more lore behind it and people who are ignorant of this make the insides of my eyelids itch. Wink

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 11 2015, 4:14am

Post #5 of 7 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Love it! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 5:45am

Post #6 of 7 (1802 views)
Shortcut
tongue firmly in cheek... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Feb 14 2015, 11:00pm

Post #7 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can the eagles be used to fly to Valinor, in case Sauron had gotten the One Ring...

I mean Galadriel called upon the Eagles, Gandalf did, and I'm sure Elrond can to...so they're out of there...too bad for the rest...lol!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.