The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Birth of Rohan adaptation movie idea.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Feb 7 2015, 11:31pm

Post #1 of 6 (894 views)
Shortcut
Birth of Rohan adaptation movie idea. Can't Post

This is one hell of a epic story I would love to see on the future. Even though that chapter isn't very detailed in Tolkien books, I hope future directors expand the story more.

It would also serve to do justice to how powerful Gondor's military actually is, even though they were pushed back by the Balcoths.

Plotwise is simple: A two films story about Gondor being attacked by the Balcoth, a fierce federation of easterling tribes, with the support of orcs from Mordor and Moria.

Eorl of the Eotheden should be portrayed as a very wise young man, like Aragorn from Lotr. The same as Cirion, steward of Gondor. The opposite of the Denethor we've seen portrayed in ROTK. Dwarves of Erebor, Thranduil of Mirkwood, Elrond of Rivendell, Haldir,Galadriel, Celeborn,Tauriel,Legolas, Gandalf and Saruman should have somekinda roles in this adaptation. Balcoth should be lead by a self-proclaimed emperor of Rhun in secrecy serving Khamul. The orcs will be lead by a Olog-Hai troll who is controlled by Sauron. This time I would bring the RIGHT trolls from the original movies. Not those from the Hobbit.

There should be 3 battles before leading to the final conclusion: Battle of the Field of Celebrant. In the books only Eorl and the Eothed came to the rescue. But in this adaptation we will see elves of Lorien, Rivendell and Mirkwood joining forces with the world of men of defeating the enemy.

I want powerfull scenes where we see noble men of Gondor meeting with the elves. Wise men like Cirion and Eorl meeting Thranduil or Elrond discussing the rising threat of the east.

And the final moment when Eorl and Cirion swears their oath at the tomb of Elendil,Amon Anwar. It is said that no greater oath has been said by men since Elendil swore an oath of allegiance and everlasting friendship to Gil-galad upon Amon Sul.Think how epic and emotional that scene would be!

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Feb 7 2015, 11:33pm)

squire
Half-elven

Feb 8 2015, 2:13am

Post #2 of 6 (803 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great but why call it an adaptation? [In reply to] Can't Post

"In the books only Eorl and the Eothed came to the rescue. But in this adaptation we will see elves of Lorien, Rivendell and Mirkwood joining forces with the world of men of defeating the enemy."

Wait, what kind of adaptation is it that explicitly changes the entire point of the original story, which was how Rohan came to be Gondor's staunchest ally, with no involvement by the Elves (except Galadriel's masking their approach)? Why not call it an "original film, based on characters and settings created by J. R. R. Tolkien"?

And I do agree that the Oath of Cirion ought to be an epic moment. But the epicness of it, in the original story by Tolkien, depended entirely on the reader remembering the events of the War of the Ring in The Lord of the Rings with its unbreakable link of loyalty, friendship, and mutual support between Rohan and Gondor. So if you want the same feeling in a movie that must inevitably refer to the existing New Line trilogy of LotR, you should probably arrange for the editing of the films to get rid of film-Theoden's speech, "Where was Gondor when the westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?"

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 8 2015, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 6 (762 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it Balchoth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't see Thranduil getting Mirkwood involved in such a conflict. And Rivendell is a bit distant. However, Lothlorien is practically a next-door neighbor so I can imagine Galadriel and Celeborn lending some support.

I won't say that this couldn't be a great story, but I do have doubts that it would find an audience--or at least that a studio would have enough confidence in the project to green-light it.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Feb 8 2015, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (766 views)
Shortcut
About Theoden's speech and the elves supporting Gondor\Rohan. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I wouldn't say it contradict to what Gondor sweared for 500 years ago at least. Gondor during Cirion's rule was totally different than Denethor's rule. And Gondor seemed stronger and more back then.

Okay, I supposed Rivendell was too far away to get involved somehow in the conflict, but Lorien and Mirkwood could have some role to play.

I picture before the messenger from Gondor arrives to Eorl, Cirion himself and his army enters Lorien and meets Thranduil, Galadriel, Celeborn and Elrond asking for support. The elves agrees with Thranduil unwillilngly also comes to terms and send their best warriors to help Gondor.

I think this project could get greenlited if some big actors were to join.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Feb 9 2015, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 6 (722 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is too much of ''just another Middle-earth'' story. There is nothing that really sets it apart from the other Tolkien films we've seen. It should be about familiair main characters (like Gandalf) or it should be a truly unique story (like The Akallabêth).

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Feb 9 2015, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 6 (743 views)
Shortcut
The Akallabêth would be epic [In reply to] Can't Post

But sadly, isn't it a part of the Silmarillion? And the rights for it is untouchable for the current time.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.