The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Geo-strategic bad placed items in Moror

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2015, 9:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Geo-strategic bad placed items in Moror Can't Post

So is there any other ancient discussion about this?

In ROTK the location and distances between Barad-Dur and Mount Doom seem to change every scene. Is there any explanation for that, are perspectives playing with my perception?

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2015, 3:32am

Post #2 of 9 (1695 views)
Shortcut
not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that too. It could just be a perspective thing, or maybe it's a similar situation to how Rivendell was handled in LotR. Apparently they never really had a consistent layout for Rivendell until AUJ.

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Feb 9 2015, 1:52am

Post #3 of 9 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's spirit was so strong he moved he moved Mt. Doom around [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL, my best explination

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 10 2015, 6:07pm

Post #4 of 9 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Mt. Doom moves around in relation to other places, too [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end of THE TWO TOWERS, Gandalf and company can see Mt. Doom from the ridge above Helm's Deep! Edoras and Minas Tirith, themselves rather far apart, lie in between.

Kristin

moreorless
Gondor

Feb 11 2015, 11:42am

Post #5 of 9 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Generally distances are compressed.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At the end of THE TWO TOWERS, Gandalf and company can see Mt. Doom from the ridge above Helm's Deep! Edoras and Minas Tirith, themselves rather far apart, lie in between.

It might not be quite as far as Helms Deep but Frodo and Sam looking towards Mordor at the end of FOTR is clearly compressed to the actual distance Tolkien describes that around 100 miles.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 11 2015, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 9 (1618 views)
Shortcut
From the book: [In reply to] Can't Post

The others too now turned their eyes eastward. Over the sundering leagues of land, far away they gazed to the edge of sight, and hope and fear bore their thoughts still on, beyond dark mountains to the Land of Shadow. Where now was the Ring-bearer? How thin indeed was the thread upon which doom still hung! It seemed to Legolas, as he strained his farseeing eyes, that he caught a glint of white: far away perchance the sun twinkled on a pinnacle of the Tower of Guard. And further still, endlessly remote and yet a present threat, there was a tiny tongue of flame.
-The King of the Golden Hall

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2015, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 9 (1607 views)
Shortcut
so the flames of mount doom were visible above the mountains of mordor as in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 11 2015, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 9 (1602 views)
Shortcut
That's what the man says. [In reply to] Can't Post

He also says that you could see Minas Tirith from Edoras even though it'd be behind Mount Mindolluin.

If you can't trust Tolkien, then who can you trust?

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2015, 12:25pm

Post #9 of 9 (1605 views)
Shortcut
I have one big question, is there anyplace in internet where I can find images of... [In reply to] Can't Post

mountains in a precisely exact distance from where actually the walls of minas tirith from the walls of Mordor?

I mean, I always wondered what really aunduinīs valley would look like, in the movie mountains of the shadow are too close IMO, in the book they seem to be more distant, but who knows perhaps in the movie they are right placed and its a matter of perspective

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.