Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
with wich king of Rohan had Thranduil best relations?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2015, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 4 (601 views)
Shortcut
with wich king of Rohan had Thranduil best relations? Can't Post

Elfwyne. AH!Laugh

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 11 2015, 3:32am

Post #2 of 4 (483 views)
Shortcut
Did any king of Rohan have a relationship with Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at my maps of Middle Earth, it looks like there is a lot of geography in between Rohan and northern Mirkwood. Was there a relationship between the wood elves and the people of Rohan? If so, was it in the UT story of Cirion and Eorl? I'd be interested to hear about it.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 11 2015, 4:43am

Post #3 of 4 (491 views)
Shortcut
Possibly not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan was quite a long way from Mirkwood, and neither the Rohirrim nor the Mirkwood Elves traveled much. I don't recall any writings that had both in the same story.

Felagund
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 10:56pm

Post #4 of 4 (437 views)
Shortcut
relations between Rohan and the Elves (next to zero) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only find two instances of the Elves having anything much to do with the Rohirrim, and neither relate to Thranduil or the Woodland Ream.

Both examples relate to the Battle of the Field of the Celebrant in III.2510. As Eorl leads the Éothéod down the Vales of Anduin in response to Cirion's pleas for aid, the power of Lorien (presumably Galadriel) drives off shadows pouring forth from Dol Guldur. This serves to aid the passage of the Éothéod, and enables them to save the day at the Celebrant. Eorl and his people seem none the wiser as to who is behind this aid, so it's a passive experience.

The second concerns a snippet from HoMe XII, which describes the sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, as leading the charge of the Éothéod against the Balchoth and Orc armies. This didn't make it into the final cut of the LotR Appendices, so we're none the wiser as to what Tolkien may have had in mind. It seems to have more to do with Elladan and Elrohir's pursuit of vengeance against Orcs, following the abduction of their mother, Celebrían a year earlier (III.2509).

Apart from these, the LotR tells us that the Rohirrim were otherwise fearful of Lorien ('Dwimordene' in Rohirric) and the 'Sorceress of the Golden Wood'. Other Northmen, kin of the Rohirrim such as the Woodmen of Mirkwood, the Men of the Vales of Anduin, the Beornings, the Men of Dale and the Men of Esgaroth are all better candidates for having relations with the Elves of Mirkwood.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.