Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... The Easterlings Costumes?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 25 2008, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 14 (10626 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... The Easterlings Costumes? Can't Post

The Easterlings are only on screen for a couple of scenes in the trilogy. Even so, their costumes are still a lot of fun. While most of the gowns and fabric pieces were designed by Ngila Dickson and her team, the WETA Workshop had an equal if not more daunting task designing armor to go over that fabric. Here we have lots of spikes with carvings of the eye and inscriptions in a modified Tengwar. The fabrics appear to be lightweight silks and I have no idea what the armor is made of. Presumably fiberglass or some other modern material.

According to an Easterling extra: "The Easterling costume was one of the more comfortable costumes I wore, apart from the "Mk. 1" breastplates which had a sharp point at the end which could be hazardous if you sat down too quickly. "Mk. 2" breastplates changed this so that the sharp point was "hinged" on a piece of leather. The costume was loose and layered, so it kept you cool when it was hot and warm when it was cold. The helmet provided good visibility, and was much better than the Uruk Hai mask/helmet setup, which was terrible - you could only see directly in front of you as an Uruk Hai. The armour moved freely and provided good protection (getting hit with prop weapons hurts :^P). It was also very easy to eat in."

There are more pictures at the AlleyCatScratch site, though they don't have many details for these costumes.

So, any thoughts?

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
Screencap of the Day Schedule for March

Heading for Japan: April 4-April 15!!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2008, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (8608 views)
Shortcut
The Samurai of Middle-Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

These costumes are always good to look at. They really remind me of a sort of Samurai style. What also adds to that idea is the excellent make-up. Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one that we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 26 2008, 12:09am

Post #3 of 14 (8568 views)
Shortcut
"It was also very easy to eat in..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are some great quotes from that Easterling extra -- you know, he could probably do well at the Easterling Men's Clothing Store...

I really liked the look of these guys, and it was a shame that they couldn't show much actual human-vs.-human fighting we we could have seen them in action more. But maybe these are costumes that are better seen than fought in..I could see them getting their spears stuck on those things on the top of their helmets if they weren't careful...!

Weaver

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2008, 12:35am

Post #4 of 14 (8574 views)
Shortcut
I think they do an excellent job of.. [In reply to] Can't Post

making the Easterlings appear more foreign, and therefore more difficult to relate to (or sympathize with) in the films, and while I think that the costumes agree with the book, it also think that people who have only seen the movies will spend less time wondering about where the Easterlings came from, and who they are since the costumes look so different to all the others; they are almost simply the "bad guys."

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 26 2008, 7:23am

Post #5 of 14 (8540 views)
Shortcut
Especially good [In reply to] Can't Post

To see that close-up of the armour, which I have never really appreciated - thanks.
I still think they look pretty '80's (not that there's anything wrong with that) Wink

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2008, 8:35am

Post #6 of 14 (8618 views)
Shortcut
The Easterling... [In reply to] Can't Post

were my favorite bad guys. They certainly looked menacing marching up to the black gates. I also wish we could have seen them fighting, at least at the Pelennor Fields.

Thank you for giving us an up-close view of these costumes.

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2008, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 14 (8531 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could find someone to make me an Easterling costume... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to wear that to DragonCon. Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 26 2008, 6:35pm

Post #8 of 14 (8536 views)
Shortcut
But ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... then you have to hope that no Elf or Ranger or Shieldmaid there is carrying a sword or bow ;-)

Anyway, these costumes are the most inventive armour I've ever seen, I think - particularly around the heads. They're usually a bit more conventional, like these from Rohan e.g.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2008, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 14 (8485 views)
Shortcut
It think their costumes are gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a cross between function, artwork, flamboyance, and style! When they're marching together like this, I get the same impression as I do when I see the Elves reaching Helm's Deep. Their unified look makes them powerful looking, an army to contend with... well disciplined, trained, in control. DON'T MESS WITH US! The Uruk-hai did it to a degree as they arrived at Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith... but they're U.G.L.Y. *thumbs down* Impressive because of their size, not their style ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 27 2008, 9:49pm

Post #10 of 14 (8505 views)
Shortcut
Did you ever notice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... their eye makeup ;-)?

I liked that part about the 'hazardous to your health' pointy breastplates! I knew stuntwork was dangerous, but I never imagined the costumes could be too!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 31 2008, 4:35am

Post #11 of 14 (8531 views)
Shortcut
How Come? [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the Easterling's look & was disapointed that they weren't in the Battle of Pelannor Fields.....

Enough pleasantries.

Has anyone ever brought up the fact that the EASTerlings were marching in from the SOUTHWEST side, i.e., the HARAD side, or up from Ithilien, not from the side that leads from Rhun, where the Easterlings hail from?

You can even see it in the top picture posted here......

What gives?

(This post was edited by Tolkien Forever on Mar 31 2008, 4:38am)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 31 2008, 4:41am

Post #12 of 14 (8511 views)
Shortcut
Some people say they're not the EASTERLINGS! YAY! at all - for the reason you mention [In reply to] Can't Post

I never really got who those guys were.

I suppose they are called the Easterlings on the commentaries, or in one of the spin-off costume&armor books. But like you say, since the films (sometimes to their own discomfiture) tried to stick to Tolkien's geography, then here the geography does not lie. No Easterlings would have been marching north to the Black Gate.

Who are those guys?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 31 2008, 4:51am

Post #13 of 14 (8561 views)
Shortcut
The Book Says.... [In reply to] Can't Post

At this part, 'Men out of the wide Eastlands'.......

Besides, they seem to have on a little too much clothing to be from even Near Harad - although I guess I see how Arabs dress, so scratch that.

I wonder if perhaps there just wasn't any 'roadway' built to the other side of the 'gate'?
I never really looked......

_V_
Lorien

Apr 1 2008, 11:09pm

Post #14 of 14 (8493 views)
Shortcut
one of the most fun costumes in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they'd used them more

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.