The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Translate name to quenya and/or Kudzdul

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 7:51pm

Post #1 of 18 (2882 views)
Shortcut
Translate name to quenya and/or Kudzdul Can't Post

Someone know where u can translate your name to Quena (Elf language) and/or Kuzdul (Dwarf language) I want see what konrad is on these languages. Can u only wright konrad in the tranlate, or i need take what konrad mean( konrad mean bold decision) and soon see what that mean?

Grateful for answers

ps sorry for bad english

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 18 (2787 views)
Shortcut
This is a fun Hobbit/Elvish site, Konrad [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris Wetherell Elf/Hobbit names

I don't know of any Khuzdul ones that generate automatically. But here is an Orc one:

Mordor, The Land of Shadow Orc Name Generator

FUN! Cool Both these sites base the answer on your actual name, versus random generated names.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 5 2015, 8:19pm)

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 8:25pm

Post #3 of 18 (2769 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

One the first i got.... Aerandir Séregon

And the other i get ??? Darűk, the rat - Uruk of Mordor

The rat? i like animals but ..... i dont think some orc was named, the rat, the dog ,the chicken or the FREAKING Owl

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 8:38pm

Post #4 of 18 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Those Orc names are very ... colorful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is Sadaauk, the bleeder.

And take heart - I am sure 'rat' is a highly thought of totem animal in Orcish culture. Cool

acheron
Gondor

Feb 5 2015, 9:23pm

Post #5 of 18 (2769 views)
Shortcut
Quenya Lapseparma [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

Uses the etymology of your name and translates it to Quenya. You may need to poke around a bit to find the right name if they don't have yours exactly -- I didn't see "Konrad" with either a K or a C, so I don't know if they'll have it, but it's a fun site anyway.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 18 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Chris Wetherell is random... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in a sense, I mean it generates names based on the letters you put in, but these names are not translations.

Put in the entire Roman Alphabet, for example, and it will generate a name!

Someone already suggested Ales Bican's Quenya Lapseparma, but if Conrad isn't there... there might not be a Quenya word available... or nobody asked Ales for a suggestion for Conrad... or we now have the Quenya words available, but didn't when Ales made his list.

Unhelpful as that is Smile

I'm guessing we have something like "bold" in Elvish... but I can't recall right now if a word for "decision" (or something close) has been attested yet.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Feb 5 2015, 10:47pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 10:45pm

Post #7 of 18 (2753 views)
Shortcut
You can write the name Conrad... [In reply to] Can't Post

... using the Elvish letters, even if we don't have the available Quenya words to translate the name. I'm still not sure if we do or don't, but maybe someone else has an easy list.

I would guess we have "bold" at least, in Sindarin or Quenya. I think in Sindarin beren "bold" or similar, if I recall correctly

The names from Chris Wetherell's site aren't really based on meaning, as illustrated by the names it suggested, which mean very different things than what you noted Conrad meant.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 10:58pm

Post #8 of 18 (2757 views)
Shortcut
Ales Bican noted in Quenya [In reply to] Can't Post

BALDRIC (m.) - Old Ger. 'bold + ruler'; verya "bold"; -tur "ruler", thus Veryatur

So there's the Quenya for one part! I'm so lazy!

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 11:18pm

Post #9 of 18 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Aoplogies; in my case, it seemed more accurate than random [In reply to] Can't Post

as my name in Latin is 'Queen'; and Weatherall's site gave me 'Tari' as a name, which I had read was Quenya for 'queen' as well (not sure where. Sorry) So I thought there was a word for word going on....oops. I figured the Orcish one was just for fun.

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong! (*Paddles back to River thread...*)Laugh

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 5:16am

Post #10 of 18 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

To the first thing never call me Conrad :( !!!!!!

And i want a on Kuzdul can someone find one one kuzdul!

I dont need more quenya site i think only there i can tranlate bold decision. And can i tranlate it to one word u think?

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2015, 12:51pm

Post #11 of 18 (2718 views)
Shortcut
No problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I started testing it one day to see if I could find a pattern, but in any case Chris Wetherell explained about his Hobbit name generator

http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/about.php

Q: How's it work? A: Compared to some of the other name generators out there, the algorithm is simple. It takes the first and last letter of each name then, based on a character set, expresses those letters as a two-digit key which maps to the index of a particular Hobbit name.

And it seems basically the same for the Elvish name generator (although what do I know about computer stuff? basically nothing). But if the same, considering that and considering Tolkien's Elentári "Star-queen"...

... your case seems quite the coincidence.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Feb 6 2015, 1:00pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 3:02pm

Post #12 of 18 (2716 views)
Shortcut
Excellent to know the way it works! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the due diligence, Elthir! I had not tested it, per se...other sites were random as far as generation, yet that 'Tari' translation on his site got my attention! I did put in different last names last night after reading your post, with the same first, and got 'Tari of....' differing locations.

Interesting coincidence! (A bit OT, name-wise my name was a burden taking a few years of Latin: having the name 'Regina' in a Latin class REALLY singles you out for waaaaay too much attention from the professor!)Laugh

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2015, 11:34pm

Post #13 of 18 (2678 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to remember that Brethil. You'll also get Tari (diacritics aside) for Rebecca or Rolanda, or even if you are the Sun God Ra... but still.

Smile

But you had no reason to check other names after Regina, so totally understandable!

That's a fun detail!

(This post was edited by Elthir on Feb 6 2015, 11:45pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 11:36pm

Post #14 of 18 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Being called Tim in an Ancient Greek class was the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

As the standard (feminine...) noun in Greek is τιμη, pronounced Timeh Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 7 2015, 1:32am

Post #15 of 18 (2685 views)
Shortcut
*snert* I can see how that would be uncomfortable... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you were stronger in Greek than I was in Latin. I didn't want extra attention.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 7 2015, 9:35am

Post #16 of 18 (2665 views)
Shortcut
Regina? latin? [In reply to] Can't Post

First and last letter in the name? i dont understand

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2015, 3:33pm

Post #17 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut
it's just the way this name generator seems to work... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that is, Chris Wetherell's generator doesn't really translate the names you type in, but given that (as it seems) for names beginning with r- and ending in -a (or just type in ra itself), at least in the "female first name" box anyway, it generates Quenya Tari (again diacritics aside), in the case of the name Regina you actually get a translation!

Tolkien's Elentari means "Star-queen"...

Regina is a fem. proper name, from Latin for "queen;" related to rex (genitive regis) "king"

(This post was edited by Elthir on Feb 7 2015, 3:40pm)

Nissa

Feb 7 2015, 11:35pm

Post #18 of 18 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Council of Elrond name generator [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm a lurker. But one of my friends showed me this website for elvish names a while back, and I had to share it:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/elvishname/
(I'm not sure how to make that clickable)
You can search either by you name (choose "term" on the dropdown menu), or by definition.

(This post was edited by Nissa on Feb 7 2015, 11:46pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.