Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone wish that Dwalin had a one on one confrontation with Azog or Bolg?

boldog
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 6:25am

Post #1 of 17 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone wish that Dwalin had a one on one confrontation with Azog or Bolg? Can't Post

When I was watching the film for the first time, i was really getting excited when the four dwarves were heading for ravenhill. I knew that stuff was gonna go down here. I knew that Azog and Bolg were going to face these dwarves. And one conflict that I was really looking forward to seeing was Dwalin against one of these orcs.

I really would have loved to see how he would cope against these giant foes. Kili and Fili had no chance, and Thorin only won by quick thinking. But none of these three compare to Dwalin, who is a ruthless, warrior, orc killing machine. I wonder if he could have had an even match with the orcs? Also a confrontation would have given him something major to do in ravenhill, instead of fight a few orcs, and not be seen again. Whether he killed them or not, I still believe a confrontation, even if it was brief, would have been really good to see.

Could such a confrontation occur maybe in the EE???

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

(This post was edited by boldog on Feb 5 2015, 6:26am)

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Feb 5 2015, 6:30am

Post #2 of 17 (1084 views)
Shortcut
It would have been glorious [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would have been great to see Dwalin taking on Bolg, instead of Legolas, or maybe even them fighting against him together. Of course in perfect work we would have seen Legolas ready to die in hands of Bolg and then suddenly Beorn jumps on top of him from the back of flying eagle.

boldog
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 7:13am

Post #3 of 17 (1044 views)
Shortcut
That actually would have been perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin and Leggy both fighting against Bolg. Could have also been a good little nod to Gimli and Legolas later fighting alongside eachother

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 5 2015, 7:31am

Post #4 of 17 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Why he had... [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ. Conan Stevens' character is credited as Bolg.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 8:42am

Post #5 of 17 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Well no..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because given who they were that would almost certainly have meant that Dwalin would have been killed as well. He must have taken on a good few orcs - I'm sure nothing else would have kept him from helping Thorin - and it may be that there is more footage of Dwalin fighting, but it doesn't bother me that he didn't fight those two.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2015, 11:17am

Post #6 of 17 (1002 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

It may have been Bolg 1.0, but Dwalin definitely got the better of him at the Battle of Azanulbizar!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 5 2015, 12:29pm

Post #7 of 17 (982 views)
Shortcut
Not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

It never crossed my mind.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 1:44pm

Post #8 of 17 (938 views)
Shortcut
Never thought of it, [In reply to] Can't Post

but now that you mentioned it, it would have been nice to see Dwalin take on Bolg.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 2:05pm

Post #9 of 17 (949 views)
Shortcut
More screen time for all the dwarves would have been nice [In reply to] Can't Post

so having Dwalin fight Bolg would have been fine with me, and also it would be fun to see Dwalin highlighted in a big one-on-one fight. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think that's something we ever saw.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Noria
Gondor

Feb 5 2015, 2:45pm

Post #10 of 17 (922 views)
Shortcut
Not me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Dwalin might well have been killed. There is no surety that Dwalin would have beaten Bolg again.
Legolas killing Bolg was fine with me anyway. I was just glad somebody got rid of him.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 5 2015, 8:36pm

Post #11 of 17 (888 views)
Shortcut
My biggest fear [In reply to] Can't Post

was that Dwalin would get killed along with the other three, and I KNEW as loyal as he was to Thorin that he'd be up there with him. I'm really glad they didn't kill him off. But the only way I can see a fight between Dwalin and Bolg would be if: 1. Thorin actually killed Azog by drowning him in ice water, as in the movie; 2. an enraged Bolg then stabs Thorin; and 3. Dwalin, not Legolas, kills Bolg - but not in time to save ThorinUnsureHeart. Instead, I'm guessing that Dwalin had his hands full killing about 30 Orcs to defend an unconcious Bilbo, and maybe was somewhat rescued by the other Dwarves who finally showed up, again too late to save ThorinUnsureHeart I think it's possible that in the EE the Ravenhill fight will be as different as Gandalf's trek through Dol Goldur. That could include the ice chariot scene, which I was greatly looking forward to, and include some fighting with Balin & the other dwarves. I've seen an amusing behind-the-scenes thing somewhere (probably YouTube) with Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow and Adam Brown making jokes about some of the fight scenes before they finally got to join in, so SURELY there is film footage of the other dwarves fighting out there SOMEWHERE. Heck, they said there was enough footage of them running from the Wargs in AUJ to make a stand-alone movie, and I know that Helm's Deep in TTT was about 20 hours of film. PJ really goes overboard on that sort of thing.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Feb 5 2015, 9:12pm

Post #12 of 17 (874 views)
Shortcut
You do know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....that Dwalin doesn't die in the book, right? So having him die on Ravenhill in the movie would've been completely wrong. Say what you will about PJ's changes, but he generally follows the rule of killing the right characters (with a few exceptions, I realize - Azog, Mouth of Sauron, etc.)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2015, 12:53pm

Post #13 of 17 (770 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

The less Azog and Bolg, the better.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 6 2015, 5:04pm

Post #14 of 17 (756 views)
Shortcut
Well not in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

But really, ANYTHING could have happened in the movie. I'm glad he didn't die, but more than a few people complained about how Dwalin just disappeared on Ravenhill - there was a whole thread on that topic. I don't think it was handled very well in the TE, maybe PJ didn't think it was important but Dwalin fans sure do!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

iduna
Rivendell

Feb 7 2015, 9:15pm

Post #15 of 17 (694 views)
Shortcut
That would have been perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin and Leggy, both taking on Bolg! Well, it would have been fun, anyway. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, at least until the orc is killed.

However, I would have been equally satisfied to see Dwalin killing a hundred lesser orcs in order to keep them off the backs of Thorin, Kili and Fili. That would have made a lot of sense.

(This post was edited by iduna on Feb 7 2015, 9:18pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 7 2015, 9:55pm

Post #16 of 17 (693 views)
Shortcut
I can see your concern [In reply to] Can't Post

about the possibility of Dwalin dying if he fought Azog/Bolg, but I honestly think if PJ and company intended to kill him off too, it would have happened whether or not he fought Azog/Bolg or simply a random orc or two. I guess what I'm trying to say is if they wanted to kill him, they would have done it in one way or another.

And Dwalin's whole disappearing act, where did he go? I think it's probably one of the biggest - if not the biggest - mystery of the third film. Hopefully, we'll find out in the EE.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 7 2015, 10:10pm

Post #17 of 17 (698 views)
Shortcut
This is true... [In reply to] Can't Post

Say what you will about PJ's changes, but he generally follows the rule of killing the right characters (with a few exceptions, I realize - Azog, Mouth of Sauron, etc.)

especially in regards to hero characters. Aside from Haldir, I believe every hero character who died in the book had the same fate on screen. It may not have played out the same way as it did in the book, but the end result was still the same.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.