Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Major Orc In The Films Was Your Favorite?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which Major Orc In The Films Was Your Favorite?
The Great Goblin
Bolg
Azog
Lurtz
Gothmog
View Results (45 votes)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 2:30am

Post #1 of 30 (1685 views)
Shortcut
Which Major Orc In The Films Was Your Favorite? Can't Post

Which of the Orcs who had more significant roles in the films was your favorite?

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 5 2015, 3:18am

Post #2 of 30 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the knife-licking that made him stand out.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 4:37am

Post #3 of 30 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about him was great. I liked his overall look, scary, but with those blue eyes and twisted almost-good-looks he also hinted at Elf origins for the Orcs (a theory I find interesting). I liked his backstory, and that he seemed to have his own agenda along with Sauron's. I liked the way he was shown to possess generalship, planning out the way to get his army in place secretly, using the signals, and so on. Finally, his CGI was great, I liked the improvement of Orcs having changing facial expressions.

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 11:50am

Post #4 of 30 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved that character.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 3:53pm

Post #5 of 30 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz was the only possibility for me [In reply to] Can't Post

because I hate that Azog & Bolg were ever in the movies - just a huge distraction, and it made no sense to me that there were uber-Orcs back then, 60 years before Saruman invented them.

In the books Grishnakh always stood out for me.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 30 (1473 views)
Shortcut
But, Bolg was in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
because I hate that Azog & Bolg were ever in the movies - just a huge distraction, and it made no sense to me that there were uber-Orcs back then, 60 years before Saruman invented them.

In the books Grishnakh always stood out for me.

And even Tolkien made him fairly impressive in the little time he got. What is wrong with the idea that Bolg (and his father Azog) represented a strain of Orc that the Uruk-hai might have been developed from?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 5:06pm

Post #7 of 30 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got both the brawn and the brains.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 6:53pm

Post #8 of 30 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Question [In reply to] Can't Post

So you're mad that Bolg (who was in the book) and Azog (who is canon) were in the movies, but you are OK with inventing Lurtz from scratch? Not trying to provoke, just kinda confused.

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Feb 5 2015, 6:53pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 6:56pm

Post #9 of 30 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

The design was awesome, he was a fantastic fighter, and as seen by the ambush on Legolas in DOS, a good strategist. Pretty much exactly how he was in the book. I may have disliked the choice for who killed him (the book purist part of me) and him being kinda randomly subbed in for Azog in DOS (it felt awkward to me), but the character itself was great.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 5 2015, 8:28pm

Post #10 of 30 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurtz has always been my favourite, if favourite you can call an Orc...MadPirateUnimpressedEvil

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 8:26am

Post #11 of 30 (1438 views)
Shortcut
I am the only than vote on .... [In reply to] Can't Post

The fat Golbing king ....Ps I wonder who was king in the Golbing town after him?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 10:38am

Post #12 of 30 (1437 views)
Shortcut
His son, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

The Goblin Scribe.

In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicle, the Goblin Scribe is described as the Great Goblin's son from some marriage he'd prefer to forget, so he gave him an administrative job away from the throne.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 10:39am

Post #13 of 30 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Is that freaking golbin his son? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked ?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 10:44am

Post #14 of 30 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't you see the resemblance? Laugh

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 10:46am

Post #15 of 30 (1430 views)
Shortcut
And how golbing female looks like? [In reply to] Can't Post

And......

This is a bad thing with Middle Earth, for example, Thorin Who is he, mother? And should not kili and fili's father have a name.!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 10:49am

Post #16 of 30 (1423 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I want to venture there [In reply to] Can't Post

Some things are better left be.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 6 2015, 10:51am

Post #17 of 30 (1425 views)
Shortcut
resemblance? [In reply to] Can't Post

resemblance?

it is a malformed Gobling / gorilla and a malformed golbing / hamster, Can you see the similarities between a knain and a choice?

(This post was edited by Konrad S on Feb 6 2015, 10:53am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 1:36pm

Post #18 of 30 (1416 views)
Shortcut
I always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

the goblin scribe went to work at Gringotts after the king was killed ;-)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 2:57pm

Post #19 of 30 (1422 views)
Shortcut
The New Great Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The fat Golbing king ....Ps I wonder who was king in the Golbing town after him?

The One Ring Roleplaying Game (playing off of Tolkien's legendarium) posits a possible answer to your question in the sourcebook, The Heart of the Wild:

The New Great Goblin is actually the third Great Goblin in recent years -- the second Great Goblin died at the Battle of Five Armies, torn apart by Beorn's claws...The New Great Goblin (or, as he styles himself, the Greatest Goblin, with his predecessor being the Greater Goblin) is fat, lazy and cowardly, so he's always on the look-out for evil schemes that will bring him power and wealth without having to actually do any work or lead an army into battle.

The book also gives Bolg a potential successor:

Gorgol, son of Bolg
Bolg, son of Azog, ruled the Orcs of the Mountains from his capital of Gundabad for many years, until Beorn slew him at the Battle of Five Armies. Now many warlords contend for Bolg's throne, and there is civil war and treachery beneath the ground. One likely heir is Bolg's eldest son, Gorgol. He fought in the battle, but fled when Beorn charged. Gorgol and his followers were driven east by the Eagles, and forced to retreat into the Withered Heath. It took him six years to return home to Gundabad, and by then he had few remaining followers and could not force his claim to his father's throne.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 3:05pm

Post #20 of 30 (1405 views)
Shortcut
This was very tough! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I just adore (in a repulsed way, thank you!) the Great Goblin. But Lurtz always makes me watch him closely, the way he moves is so...graceful, yet lethal. He's very compelling. So I have to go with him.

I agree on the knife-licking: really characterizes him.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 3:51pm

Post #21 of 30 (1394 views)
Shortcut
*snort* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 4:01pm

Post #22 of 30 (1390 views)
Shortcut
yes he was invented [In reply to] Can't Post

but we knew Saruman had made Uruk-hai and he did send them after the Fellowship, they captured Merry and killed Boromir - none of that was made up. Show me in "The Hobbit" where uber-Orcs pursue the dwarves on their journey because of a personal vendetta and two of them bring down Thorin, Fili, and Kili? If Bolg had ONLY shown up at the Battle, and Beorn killed him, that would have been okay. (But he wouldn't be my choice even so.)

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 6 2015, 4:03pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 6 2015, 4:17pm

Post #23 of 30 (1378 views)
Shortcut
You are entitled to your opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

just wanted to understand what you were saying better. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 4:43pm

Post #24 of 30 (1386 views)
Shortcut
One part was made-up [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but we knew Saruman had made Uruk-hai and he did send them after the Fellowship, they captured Merry and killed Boromir - none of that was made up. Show me in "The Hobbit" where uber-Orcs pursue the dwarves on their journey because of a personal vendetta and two of them bring down Thorin, Fili, and Kili? If Bolg had ONLY shown up at the Battle, and Beorn killed him, that would have been okay. (But he wouldn't be my choice even so.)

Saruman used Uruk-hai in Tolkien's legenarium, but the Half-orcs that he bred were something else. Sauron developed the Uruk-hai.

Jackson combined the two into a single Orc-breed.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 7 2015, 5:08pm

Post #25 of 30 (1362 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

but they weren't in The Hobbit. And that's the root of my objection.

I just found in general that whenever PJ added something to the storyline it added nothing of value and in fact often detracted from it. The entire "being chased by Uber-Orcs" bit to me took the attention away from the actual quest and the story of Bilbo's transformation. It became all about fights instead of inner heroism. Basically, PJ Michael Bay'd the movies.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.