On characters and journeys.....
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 4 2015, 11:17pm

Post #1 of 54 (3066 views)
Shortcut
On characters and journeys..... Can't Post

You're setting off on a long journey through Wilderland, without the benefit of modern means of transport or communication. Which character from The Hobbit films will you take with you and why?

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 4 2015, 11:48pm

Post #2 of 54 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Neat question! [In reply to] Can't Post

All crush sorts of silly answers aside (*coughthorincough*) I think I would take Bard. He is clever, loyal, and a problem solver. Plus he seems to know the lay of the land pretty well.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2015, 11:51pm

Post #3 of 54 (2189 views)
Shortcut
dormouse, do we have an objective/goal/purpose [In reply to] Can't Post

for our journey? Or are we just going on an adventure? Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Bishop
Gondor

Feb 4 2015, 11:59pm

Post #4 of 54 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Hands down [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, if I could stand him running off to who knows where every now and then. I was going to say Galdriel, but it would take SO long to get anywhere.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 12:12am

Post #5 of 54 (2171 views)
Shortcut
I'd take Gandalf, but [In reply to] Can't Post

"he's not a tame lion"AngelicEvil and keeps disappearing.

Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmm. I was going to say Bilbo or Balin, but I think I'll pick Bard. Not the best company, but I think his sense of honor would keep him from walking off, even if I got annoying by constantly looking at the bright side or trying to converse too muchSly. And owing to (my lack of) size and prowess with weapons, I'd need someone who can shoot. I can climb the trees and hills and large rocks and whatnot to check on where we're going and to serve as lookout (climbing of that nature is my forte).

Great question!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2015, 12:26am

Post #6 of 54 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

because I doubt a Ranger would ever starve in the wilds. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2015, 12:27am

Post #7 of 54 (2135 views)
Shortcut
What a fun question [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought was to just take an eagle and skip all that Wilderland stuff. Tongue

But if we're talking about people type characters, I wouldn't mind having Radagast as my chauffeur/traveling companion on the bunny sleigh. He would know all about the plants and wildlife and could teach me how to talk to animals and I'll bet he has some good stories about Gandalf, too. What a great road trip. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 5 2015, 12:30am

Post #8 of 54 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Bombur! Bet he can find the chow :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 12:32am

Post #9 of 54 (2142 views)
Shortcut
That Strider fella. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard questionable things about them Rangers, but I've got a good feelin' about him.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 12:48am

Post #10 of 54 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question!

I think I will say Gandalf. Having a wizard with me is a comforting thought, to be sure.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Feb 5 2015, 3:17am

Post #11 of 54 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, never thought about that before. I would say Radagast or Beorn. Radagast because of his knowledge of the wild and bonds with animals such as the eagles which could prove extremely helpful, they always seem to show up to save the day. Beorn would be nice, since he would be my friend as a travel companion. I can't easily think of a villain from the hobbit who could take on the might of the shape-changer, with the exception of Smaug and the stone giants (maybe some other ultra-powerful creature I'm forgetting).

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2015, 3:21am

Post #12 of 54 (2111 views)
Shortcut
Eeny meeny miny.... [In reply to] Can't Post

We are talking about a long journey with just one other companion. That could be either a long-lasting bonding experience, or a chance to learn how annoying your companion can be.

So I'd be looking for not only someone who could hold their own in a tight spot, someone trustworthy and reliable for positive contributions, but also someone who won't drive me away with annoying mannerisms or off-putting personality traits, someone I could stand to be around over a long duration. That would exclude characters like Beorn, who would be great in a fight but not necessarily the most pleasant to be around. Thranduil? No thanks (his Thralls can have him, sorry). Thorin? Not as bad as the first two but still not my first choice.

I'd consider between Gandalf, Radagast, Legolas, Tauriel, Aragorn, Bilbo, Balin, Bofur, and Bard. Any of the above would be stalwart, able companions whom I would trust to watch my back, and would make for pleasant company for the most part.

So if I were to pick just one...

OK who am I kidding? I'd go with Tauriel. She's skilled and ferocious in a pinch, and in case I were to become inflicted with a morgul wound, she could heal that. There could be no better guide through Mirkwood, which takes up most of Wilderland. Besides, I admire her down-to-earth nature, her lack of an Elf-superiority complex, and her concern and compassion for others and for the wide world. I don't get the feeling that she would be judgmental, as opposed to Legolas who might be, and so I'd feel comfortable asking her about the stars, and other wondrous things that fascinate her. I imagine she's probably got a decent ear for song and music, and might be open to singing two-part harmony duets to pass the time during quiet stretches.

I'm sure it now sounds like I have a crush. Well, if so, that would be no coincidence. If I were choosing an entire fellowship for my journey, I would want to include those gents I mentioned above, but to choose just one sole companion for a long journey, I find it similar to choosing a spouse, marriage being a kind of long journey. It's literally a no-brainer; for that kind of choice, I say it's best to listen to your heart / instinct.

He was born of mortal frailty mixed with Elven fallen realm,
Comin’ home to a land he’d never been before.
Arvernian behind him, sailed the seas of Middle-earth,
You might say he didn’t know what lay in store.

When his wife came out to find him she'd been turned into a bird,
Upon her breast there shone a shining star,
So he took her to his bosom, and by morn her form returned,
And he shifted West to find the high Valar.

And in Valinor he went before the high,
In doing so, resigned himself to die.
Take up arms against the Shadow, asked he of the high,
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 7:14am

Post #13 of 54 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Alas... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we can only take characters from The Hobbit films. Strider was mentioned, although I'm not sure that counts.

He'd have been my first choice, too. With the current restrictions, I'll go with Bard.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 8:18am

Post #14 of 54 (2097 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't really narrowed it down..... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be tempting to say 'to regain a homeland and slay a dragon' but that's an even taller order for two than it is for thirteen-and-a-half. Let's just say it's serious, potentially dangerous, but you feel you have to attempt it. If you'd like to specify your own adventure, feel free!

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 8:37am

Post #15 of 54 (2106 views)
Shortcut
I love some of these ideas.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The question was going through my head foor no particular reason yesterday (well, probably because I'd been watching AUJ again) and I thought, who would I take.... Gandalf? he's capable in a crisis, reassuring, and probably interesting if I could persuade him to talk at all. But he'd keep disappearing at vital moments and that would be a bit unnerving.

Thorin is, as we know, majestic in the extreme, but he'd be rather dour as a sole companion - much better in a group. Besides, I reckoned he'd be overbooked (it's intriguing to see that he isn't).

Bilbo's very resourceful and good company but I think I'd like someone with more experience of the outside world. Besides, I do not know the way and I doubt if he does either. Beorn would be interesting but too unpredictable.

I like the idea of Bard, and Tauriel, but in the end I think I'd choose Elrond. He's powerful in a quiet way - we know he can handle a sword. He's been around long enough to have seen most of the nasties that inhabit Middle Earth. But best of all, with a memory like his he'd have some wonderful stories to tell on the way. (I did think about Galadriel for the same reason - imagine being able to talk to somone who remembered the light of the Trees - but those frocks are very impractical for travelling) And if Elrond comes might even get to look around his library before we left....

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 11:52am

Post #16 of 54 (2072 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Might not be the best company, but if we got into any trouble he could definitely handle it.

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2015, 2:22pm

Post #17 of 54 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Well, if it's serious [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I can't hitch a ride with the fleet on the River of Denial, which flows directly through Wilderland, I'm certain... Angelic

Initially I was tempted to say Smaug, because I would be his beloved traveling companion and he surely wouldn't flambe me and have me with ketchup. (Surely not, right? Shocked) He would be indisputably excellent protection. He would be good for witty repartee and I'm sure I could put up with his enormous ego for two or three miles. Plus we could fly when necessary and take a load off the ol' feet, and I'm positive he wouldn't dump me off midair, turn and roast me, and then gobble me up without even a side of relish. (Um, right? Unsure) But then I got to thinking that maybe although he would not want to do any harm to his friend (beloved, right? Unimpressed), he might not be so generous to any other chance-met person, place, or thing, and I would hate to see the Carrock doused in flames and/or young and adorable hedgehogs of the former Greenwood dying a second death on my account. So, Smaug stays in the mountain.

I think I would take Gandalf. I know he has that habit of running off, but he's awfully handy in a pinch if he, you know, happens to be around. (Maybe I could stipulate that I am the keeper of the pipe-weed supply, and if he wants to stay happy he's got to stick with me... Hmm. Could work.) But even if he does disappear, he tends to come back in a burst of eucatastrophe, so I think I'd be okay. It would be fascinating to pry stories out of him (when he's not crabby) and find out about the peoples he knows and the travels he's been on. (Does he remember the time before he was a Wizard? I want to know!) Plus, it might be kind of fun to be mistaken for a vagabond once in a while. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Feb 5 2015, 2:27pm)

Noria
Gondor

Feb 5 2015, 2:50pm

Post #18 of 54 (2053 views)
Shortcut
A wizard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf if it was a serious journey.
Radagast if it was for fun.

But Elrond is a good idea too.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 3:46pm

Post #19 of 54 (2044 views)
Shortcut
I should take.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast. He is loyal, he have a sled, animals, he can much about nature, and can take me to many places.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 54 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn? “Let’s find the highest point in this enemy filled area and light a bonfire!” (Er, no.)

Gandalf? “Looks like a trap. Let’s go see!” (I’d rather not.)

Legolas? “Let’s head northeast!” (Northeast is that-a-way, Dan’l Boone.)

Tauriel? “Oooo!! Another cute Dwarf!! Let’s stop and say ‘Hi’!” (Third one today…)

Elrond? “Stop and rest after only 16 straight hours of walking? Men are weak and their mothers dress them funny!” (This is getting really old really fast…)

Radagast? “These are Rhosgobel rabbits! Sit back and enjoy the ride!” (Oh, yeah!!)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 5:13pm

Post #21 of 54 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

Why walk when you can ride on a sleigh? Angelic

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2015, 5:37pm

Post #22 of 54 (2031 views)
Shortcut
From the Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably Gandalf. As well as being handy if it gets cold, I bet he'd also have good stories.

But from the whole of Middle-earth, Aragorn, "the greatest traveller of this Age". Plus, easy on the eye. Wink

Storm clouds

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2015, 7:04pm

Post #23 of 54 (2013 views)
Shortcut
RADDY, the Hippie Radical is JUS' Bomzz Kinda guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only could we cover Great Distances
He would probably NOT be TOO Shy to
TEACH Bomby, Spells & Incantations..
{VERY much like Merlin, taught Wort as a Kid..}

Maybe even allow Bom to take OVER his Duties
to SERVE MiddleEARTH's Flora & Fauna on the WeekENDS?

Another Thingie..He might know the Whereabouts
of the TWO Blue Wizards..?

Bom hazz ALWAYS wondered what their "Specialties" might be...?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 8:02pm

Post #24 of 54 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got fine feathered friends!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2015, 9:15pm

Post #25 of 54 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Whoops - didn't see that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas then, as bodyguard extraordinaire.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.