The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Roosevelt Oscar RSVPs

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 4 2015, 11:55pm

Post #1 of 16 (7466 views)
Shortcut
Roosevelt Oscar RSVPs Can't Post

The restaurant at the Roosevelt Hotel is having an Oscar viewing party on Sunday evening. The cost is $125 per person. Dinner is included. As of this evening they have space for up to 100 of us. If you can firmly commit to attend please reply here with the number in your party. Then, private message me with your contact information.

Let's get this party going! Wink

Janet

Pleiadeez7

(This post was edited by pleiadeez7 on Feb 5 2015, 12:03am)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 3:10am

Post #2 of 16 (7368 views)
Shortcut
how much time do we have to decide? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am thinking about it. It is THE Roosevelt Hotel right opposite the Dolby?

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 5 2015, 3:45am

Post #3 of 16 (7375 views)
Shortcut
The Roosevelt [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it is "the" Roosevelt. Smile

Pleiadeez7

Niniachel
The Shire

Feb 5 2015, 6:12pm

Post #4 of 16 (7349 views)
Shortcut
Roosevelt Oscar RSVPs [In reply to] Can't Post

pretty sure you can count me in :)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 5 2015, 10:25pm

Post #5 of 16 (7324 views)
Shortcut
very much like to go [In reply to] Can't Post

Gonna have to live on bread and water for several weeks but, yes, I want to go!
Just little ole me so, number in my party, ONE.

lessthn3

Feb 5 2015, 11:22pm

Post #6 of 16 (7332 views)
Shortcut
Roosevelt Oscar RSVP [In reply to] Can't Post

Count me in! Just me in my party as well. I'll send you my info.

Elisael

Feb 6 2015, 5:03am

Post #7 of 16 (7335 views)
Shortcut
Can't resist [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanna be there, it seems like a once in the lifetime opportunity to me. So count me in too, one person.
Do you know at what time it will start?
I'll PM my info. Is anybody coming from Best Western? We could share a taxi or walk together.

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 6 2015, 1:42pm

Post #8 of 16 (7314 views)
Shortcut
Best Western [In reply to] Can't Post

My party of two is staying at the BW so we can all go together. :)

Pleiadeez7

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 6 2015, 1:52pm

Post #9 of 16 (7343 views)
Shortcut
Roosevelt Oscar Update [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm waiting for the hotel manager to call me with specific details. All I "tentatively" believe is that the event begins at 5 PM and that attendees are encouraged to "dress up" (which is subjective to say the least). My loose understanding is that the menu is pre-defined and you choose from a small selection; and that there will be some type of buffet for grazing during the broadcast which will take place in the lobby on a 15 foot screen.

Again, the information provided here is NOT definitive. It is merely information that I have cobbled together from the internet and my brief conversation with Carmen at the hotel restaurant.

I look forward to speaking with the manager who can hopefully provide me with some written information that I can distribute to everyone. I'll post another update as soon as I have more information. If I don't hear from anyone by mid-day today I'll call them.

Meanwhile, keep the RSVPs coming. I'm sure they will be asking about the level of interest and how many have committed.

Janet

Pleiadeez7

lessthn3

Feb 6 2015, 4:33pm

Post #10 of 16 (7294 views)
Shortcut
Meeting at BW [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm staying with a friend while in town, but I'm a bit leery of taking a cab all the way to the event since I have no idea where things are blocked off, where traffic might be bad, etc. So if it's cool with you guys, I'll meet you at the Best Western and we can all go together from there. :)

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 6 2015, 5:41pm

Post #11 of 16 (7325 views)
Shortcut
Best Western Meetup [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fine. Anyone who wants to hook up at the BW and ride/walk together is welcome to do so. :)

Pleiadeez7

Garfeimao
Rohan

Feb 7 2015, 4:55pm

Post #12 of 16 (7263 views)
Shortcut
Road Closures on Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to walk from the Best Western to the Roosevelt on the afternoon of the Oscars will be an exercise in futility. The BW is up Highland, equivalent to the Northeast corner of the Oscar perimeter while the Roosevelt is on the Southwest corner of the perimeter. If you walk, you may want to leave about 2-3 hours earlier than you anticipated.

Driving or taking a taxi is going to need some originality in the route, because Highland will be closed off south of the BW, so turning East on Franklin to Cahuenga, heading South, down to Sunset, then West, then up Orange to the Roosevelt could work. And while that would probably be just under a mile of driving, it could well take 30-60 minutes on Oscar Sunday afternoon.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 7 2015, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 16 (7281 views)
Shortcut
Road closures Oscar Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the great information! Maybe we'll meet earlier in the afternoon closer to the Roosevelt for a pre party cocktail so we'll be in the right area.

Appreciate the heads up! :)

Janet

Pleiadeez7

Elisael

Feb 8 2015, 7:01am

Post #14 of 16 (7266 views)
Shortcut
If we won't find a way, no one will [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there will be more information about the roadblocks in Oscar webpages / local media before the event. Last year it was like this (if this is correct)
http://www.scpr.org/blogs/news/2014/02/23/15915/oscars-2014-hollywood-street-sidewalk-closures-go/

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 8 2015, 3:08pm

Post #15 of 16 (7302 views)
Shortcut
just ask nicely [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for "2015 oscar road closures map". I wound up at Oscars,org and they have a map of the roads closed day of event and more info about each closure (i.e., "8 foot pedestrian access") but, in the end, it says "at the discretion of LAPD" which means to me, if we show up walking, in our gowns, and ask a policeman nicely "how can we get to the Roosevelt?", (s)he will likely direct us/let us through. Maybe I am naive but I like to think the best of our folks in uniform to use their discretion. *crosses fingers*

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Feb 10 2015, 6:02pm

Post #16 of 16 (7336 views)
Shortcut
Roosevelt Oscar reservations [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the skinny on the Roosevelt Oscar viewing party for those who missed the deadline for the group reservation.

No advance ticket sales, only dinner reservations made through Public Restaurant & Bar. The cost is $125 to be paid when you arrive & includes 2 appetizers, 1 entree & dessert. Drinks are on your own dime. Party starts at 5 P.M. & ends when the broadcast is over. High end cocktail or better attire is recommended but NOT required. The party will be held in the hotel lobby with the broadcast shown on 15' TV screen. Due to road closures they suggest using the entrance at Hawthorne & Orange. Note, parties of 10 or more must pay on one check. 323-769-8888 for reservations.

If other "Ringers" decide to attend ask to be seated near the J. Foster party so we can all sit together. :-)

Pleiadeez7

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.