The Uncle/Nephew/Niece Relationship

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 3 2015, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 12 (2106 views)
Shortcut
The Uncle/Nephew/Niece Relationship Can't Post

Just my ramble.

If you are familiar with Tolkien you may know he had a fascination with the Anglo-Saxon culture. He especially valued the relationship between maternal uncle/aunt and nephew/niece. We see examples of this in The Hobbit with Thorin, Fili, and Kili; and again in LOTR with Théoden, Éomer, and Éowyn.

So, what was the significance of the relationship between a man/woman and his/her's sister's children? I did a little digging and came across this little tidbit:

Sexual behavior was quite loose among early medieval peoples, and because a man could never know for sure if his wife's or concubine's children were his or another's, the strongest adult-child ties tended not to be parent-child, but uncle-nephew, nephew-aunt, aunt-niece, etc. A person could always count on his or her sister's children to be blood relatives; hence the most important relationships were usually sibling, aunt/uncle/niece/nephew, and cousin relationships.
http://homepages.bw.edu/...er/oldrieveintro.htm

I found this interesting, especially in regards to the book-verse deaths of Fili and Kili, who died defending Thorin, and Éowyn's stand against the Witch King to protect Théoden. For me, it adds that much more to those moments.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 8:52pm

Post #2 of 12 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, fascinating find. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking also of the JRRT's loss of his parents as a young boy and essentially being raised by a local priest. I know there were issues between his mother and her family due to her conversion to RCC (I believe they were Unitarian). Not sure if any uncles in his family played a role in his life.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 3 2015, 9:01pm

Post #3 of 12 (1957 views)
Shortcut
I did not know that... [In reply to] Can't Post

about Tolkien. Learn something new every day. Wink

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 9:28pm

Post #4 of 12 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Some background [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.catholicculture.org/...amp;CFTOKEN=27889192

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 9:38pm

Post #5 of 12 (1958 views)
Shortcut
One correction: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know there were issues between his mother and her family due to her conversion to RCC (I believe they were Unitarian).

They were Anglicans, not Unitarians. That was (and still is) the state church of England, head of a church with affiliates all over the world, especially in countries formerly associated with the British Empire. In the USA, it's the Episcopal Church.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 9:41pm

Post #6 of 12 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Another twist http://www.catholicauthors.com/tolkien.html [In reply to] Can't Post

"Her conversion incurred the immediate wrath of her family. Her father, who had been brought up Methodist but had since lapsed further from orthodoxy into Unitarianism, was outraged. Her brother-in-law withdrew the little financial help that he had provided since she had become a widow, plunging her and her children into poverty. She also met with considerable opposition from her late husband's family, many of whom were Baptists with strong anti-Catholic prejudices. The emotional strain affected her health adversely but, undaunted, she began to instruct her sons in the faith."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 9:43pm

Post #7 of 12 (1928 views)
Shortcut
J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography By Leslie Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

https://books.google.com/...nitarian&f=false

Not Anglican.

https://books.google.com/...nitarian&f=false

Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
By Verlyn Flieger

Unitarian, Methodist, Baptist

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 3 2015, 9:47pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 3 2015, 11:35pm

Post #8 of 12 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Hmm now, don't be hasty [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Carpenter's biography lists all these religions in various ways:

"Christianity had played an increasingly important part in Mabel Tolkien's life since her husband's death and each Sunday she had taken the boys on a long walk to a 'high' Anglican church. Then one Sunday Ronald and Hilary found that they were going by strange roads to....St. Anne's [a Roman Catholic church].

...Mabel had been thinking for some time about becoming a Catholic. Nor did she take this step alone. Her sister May Incledon...too had decided to become a Catholic...and in June [1900] they were received into the Church of Rome.

Immediately the wrath of their family fell upon them. Their father, John Suffield had been brought up at a Methodist school, and was now a Unitarian. ...May's husband...considered himself to be a pillar of his local Anglican church, and for May to associate with Rome was simply out of the question. ...he forbade her [May] to enter a Catholic church again, though for consolation (or was it revenge)--she turned to spiritualism.

...Mabel would have to face hostility from Walter [May's husband] and from other members of her family, not to mention the Tolkiens, many of whom were Baptists and strongly opposed to Catholicism."

So lots of strong anti-Catholic sentiment on both sides of the family, but lots of different churches represented on both sides as well.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 4 2015, 2:39am

Post #9 of 12 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Right. But I was referring to her family who were not Anglican. [In reply to] Can't Post

shadowdog
Rohan

Feb 4 2015, 5:00pm

Post #10 of 12 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps somebody can help me here [In reply to] Can't Post

I was raised a Catholic and went to Catholic elementary school being taught from the Catechism. I was struck when I first started studying Tolkien that his story of creation was identical in many respects to what I was taught. God created the angels and they started singing in his praise. They were all singing in concert when on angel who was starting to think of himself as superior to the other angels started creating his own song. At first they was confusion then some angels broke off and started singing the song he was creating. God got angry that his power was being challenged and cast the "angel" (Lucifer) and those who followed him out of heaven and down below.
I know this is not the biblical story of creation but is part of the Catholic "tradition" I was taught. Does anybody know where this story came from and how it got to be part of Catholic tradition and teaching. It would appear that Tolkien was exposed to it during his upbringing.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 4 2015, 6:28pm

Post #11 of 12 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Silmarillion is indeed a very similar creation story to Genesis. [In reply to] Can't Post

JRRT was Roman Catholic and included similar creation mytho / stories into his work as "sub-creation". It was not meant to be allegorical but similarities certainly present themselves.
Other cultural influences shaped the work as well...Nordic / Finnish elements.

There are many books available that discuss in detail the connections.

A quick online search found this discussion:
http://www.storiesofarda.com/...d=6603&cid=28581

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 4 2015, 6:33pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2015, 6:08am

Post #12 of 12 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it informed his depiction of the relationship between Theoden and Eowyn and Eomere completely. Theoden loved Theodred and was devastated when he died. He didn't favor Eomere or Eowyn over Theodred. But it does help explain why he feels especially close to Eowyn. I love my sister's kids almost like they were my own, but it doesn't seem like it's always been the case historically that an uncle would feel so paternal towards his sister's children.

Anyway, interesting. Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.