The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Tauriel Needle-Felted Wool Sculpture

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Feb 3 2015, 1:56pm

Post #1 of 12 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel Needle-Felted Wool Sculpture Can't Post

Hi! I was posting pictures of this on my blog and thought that maybe some of you here would like to see this. I've been needle-felting (as a hobby) for over five years, and I really like to make "dolls" or "wool sculptures". They are purely decorative, but I like being able to make any character that I think of. Well, with the Hobbit movies my sister asked if I would make some of her favorite characters. This is the latest one and based on Tauriel in her "travelling costume". She stands 9-1/2" high, weighs about 2 ounces and took approximately 57 hours of felting to complete. My sister made the belt and cuirass (chest armour) out of real leather for me, and she used a reenacting lace on the front of the cuirass. Her necklace is another of my sister's fabulous jewelry creations. She has a silver chain holding her trademark pendant. Tauriel's pendant is made from silver-tone jewelry wire and a crytal stud. To add a finishing touch to her beautiful hair (made of mohair), Tauriel has a silver-wire wound band on her braid. If you would like to see more photos of her, I've posted them on my website here: http://sarahbethonline.com/fogleberries/tauriel.html

I have also made Elrond and Beorn, so I'll have to post photos of that. Thorin is "in the works" right now!
Regards,
Sarah

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 3 2015, 2:53pm

Post #2 of 12 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Very nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine that the hardest part is keeping visiting children away from the wool sculpture. I must confess that this is the first time that I've encountered that term.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2015, 4:57pm

Post #3 of 12 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

She's beautiful and that is wonderful workmanship. I've done a little needle felting and my hat's off to you. What an amazing job.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Feb 3 2015, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 12 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making her! The hair was difficult and took two evenings to work out, but it ended up how I wanted it.

Yes, these are not very "child friendly", but I think that the harder enemy is . . . cats! We have several, and some really love wool. ;)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2015, 12:34am

Post #5 of 12 (1022 views)
Shortcut
I love the "movement" [In reply to] Can't Post

in the skirts of the back of her coat, as if she's really walking! Great workmanship! Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 4 2015, 1:56am

Post #6 of 12 (1007 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful! Would love to see the other characters too! [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Feb 4 2015, 2:38am

Post #7 of 12 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Will Post Them Tomorrow! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot! I'll post photos of the others tomorrow. :) I've been working on Thorin this evening . . .

Sarah

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 4 2015, 3:56am

Post #8 of 12 (1017 views)
Shortcut
I just googled needle felting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never heard of this before. What an interesting and potentially infinitely creative hobby!

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Feb 4 2015, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 12 (1000 views)
Shortcut
More Pics Posted of the Other Dolls [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, again! I've just posted photos of the dolls. I started another thread for all the Hobbit dolls that I've made. That way I can add as the next ones are finished. Here's the link to that (hope this works!):
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=833734;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Needle-felting is a fabulous hobby. The possibilities are endless, as there are no patterns or "rules". You can really make anything that you can think of. :)

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 4:24am

Post #10 of 12 (964 views)
Shortcut
these are +wonderful+! [In reply to] Can't Post

these are +wonderful+!

i have been interested in needle felting for some time, but don't know where to start re instructions and resources. could you point me in the right direction?

thanks and cheers (and -- again -- thanks so much for sharing your work!) --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Feb 16 2015, 1:14pm

Post #11 of 12 (965 views)
Shortcut
Needle-Felting: Where to Start [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Thanks! I'm glad that people are enjoying the dolls. I just love to make them.

I would be more than happy to e-mail you with info about needle-felting, how to start and where to get supplies. This could prove a little lengthy, though, so I'm going to send a Private Message to you! :)

Sarah

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 1:28pm

Post #12 of 12 (973 views)
Shortcut
done! : ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.