The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"Dark shapes in the woods"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 2 2015, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 16 (2049 views)
Shortcut
"Dark shapes in the woods" Can't Post

In LOTR, when the hobbits are passing through Bree on their way home, Barliman Butterbur tells them that times have changed in Bree-land. Among other things he says the following:

'You see, we're not used to such troubles; and the Rangers have all gone away, folk tell me. I don't think we've rightly understood till now what they did for us. For there's been worse than robbers about. Wolves were howling round the fences last winter. And there's dark shapes in the woods, dreadful things that it makes the blood run cold to think of. It's been very disturbing, if you understand me.' (my emphasis)
- Homeward Bound, ROTK

Who or what do the "dark shapes in the woods" refer to? What do you think?

sador
Half-elven

Feb 2 2015, 6:30pm

Post #2 of 16 (1844 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, but [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a clear reference to Aragorn's contemptuous words regarding Butterbur at the Council of Elrond.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 2 2015, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Goblins, in the more original mythological sense, I think; or else trolls. [In reply to] Can't Post

Several times we hear of how the northern folk have heard of the creatures of the Dark Lord in tales that make the blood run cold, to use a cliche that Tolkien is not (ahem) afraid to use.

Butterbur mentions wolves, so the shapes aren't wolves. I can't think of other "shapes" within the lore of the story at this point that would terrify without reference to existing knowledge. The trolls, we know, were already on the borders of the wild in Bilbo's time, and had gotten cleverer (according to the Prologue) by this time. But first and foremost, after learning as much as we do about orcs and the half-orcs of Isengard during the hobbits' southern adventure, and knowing that Isengard and the southerners had been interested in Bree even when Frodo first passed through, I think we are supposed to understand that Butterbur is warning us that orcs are now at the very thresholds of the small towns and villages of the northlands - because of the lack of Rangers.

I put my answer in the "mythological" sense, though, because I should think that any Breelander who saw a "dark shape in the woods" that was an orc would have seen his last dark shape ever. Why would the orcs that we've read about in the story hesitate to come forward at that point and do their nightmarish worst? So instead, I'll think of them as "goblins", the original more legendary "things that go bump in the night", and let the contradiction stand because Butterbur and Bree wouldn't still be there to receive the returnees otherwise.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 2 2015, 9:34pm

Post #4 of 16 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe old Barley saw Bigfoot or Sasquatch lurking around.
But, alas, no camera, no video; so the mystery remains. Tongue

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Feb 3 2015, 4:17am

Post #5 of 16 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Is the lack of Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post

due to Halbarad and 30 of his kin having left the North to join Aragorn (and an un-named number of them perishing in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields) or was it due to a different reason I'm missing?

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

squire
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 4:48am

Post #6 of 16 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Good catch [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very unclear in the story: how the departure of 30 Rangers for the War in the south ("all of our kindred that could be gathered in haste") could result in the complete abandonment of the (presumably) remaining Rangers' guardianship of the northlands!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2015, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 16 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Half-goblins like the Southerner in the Pony, only these took more after the Goblin side? Feral beasts? Some strange animals from the Southron lands?

I think it is there to invade our sense of safety out of the Shire (Though that has been wrecked already...) and increase the implicit peril.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 16 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Yes I think - fear of the unknown, and sometimes ruffians, and sometimes just rumour [In reply to] Can't Post

The worthies of Bree have seen their comfort and safety decline - enough to be a genuine trial for them no doubt, but our heroes returning from outright war might find it difficult to take such minor trials seriously.

I suppose that this contrast - " I have seen all kinds of gruesome battlefield and campaign horrors and yet I am listening politely to you going on about some minor trouble or inconvenience on the home front" - might have been a familiar situation for many people of Tolkien's generation.

I'm not of Tolkien's generation, but that was the effect for me as a reader, at least.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Feb 3 2015, 5:14pm)

Faramir74
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 10:27pm

Post #9 of 16 (1761 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

It could have been several things:

Black Riders
Trolls
Half - goblins / corrupted Southerners / Dunlendings or Bree folk.

And don't forget the Enemy had many birds and beasts in his service.

In fact, I have often wondered how Longbottom Leaf found it's way to Isengard...

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 3 2015, 10:37pm

Post #10 of 16 (1762 views)
Shortcut
No Black Riders by this time. [In reply to] Can't Post

By the time the Hobbits are on their way home they've all been destroyed, as has the principal Enemy. All the others are possible, though.

I'm guessing it's "ruffians", which could include both Southerners and Dunlendings.

nandorin elf
Bree

Feb 6 2015, 1:14am

Post #11 of 16 (1718 views)
Shortcut
A theory on where the Rangers are [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed they moved south to Gondor soon after the war ended. I imagine they would want to see their chieftain crowned if they could. By the time Gandalf and the four hobbits arrived in Bree, most of the Rangers would have been in the South for months.
Does Butternut specify when the Breelanders started seeing these dark shaped?

squire
Half-elven

Feb 6 2015, 2:52am

Post #12 of 16 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he does. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems irrelevant, given that the travelers have returned and the King will soon come again, but the loquacious old bumboat innkeeper gets quite specific about the date, for some reason:
'For there’s been worse than robbers about. Wolves were howling round the fences last winter. And there’s dark shapes in the woods, dreadful things that it makes the blood run cold to think of. Natty Mistletoe, it was, as first saw one on the seventh of Afteryule, but others have since as well, they say.And it's not just old Butternut as says, "Black sheep dwell in every fold; All that glitters is not gold." It’s been very disturbing, if you understand me.’ - JRRT, LotR VI.7

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 3:47pm

Post #13 of 16 (1705 views)
Shortcut
The Watch on the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

The Watch on the Shire was probably called off after the Council of Elrond. Some of the shapes in the woods were doubtless agents of Saruman.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 5:08pm

Post #14 of 16 (1706 views)
Shortcut
"...dead faces in the water..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are dead things, dead faces in the water," he said with horror. "Dead faces! '
-The Passage of the Marshes

Odd how the two phrases echo each other. (At least to me.)

Perhaps the dark shapes were spirits liberated by Sauron's death?

NOTICE: Any reply to this post must contain at least 10 smilies.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Feb 6 2015, 9:00pm

Post #15 of 16 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the Barrow-wights [In reply to] Can't Post

... were getting bolder and roaming further. In Tolkien's poem "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", one of them actually got into Tom's house; he sent it packing, of course, but it does suggest they can leave the vicinity of their barrows if they wish.
Or perhaps they started getting edgy after Tom sorted out the one that tangled with Frodo & co, and went looking for pastures new where the neighbours were less feisty. If they fancied the idea of Deadman's Dike and the old ruins at Fornost, they would pass through the Breeland on their way there.

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 7 2015, 10:54pm

Post #16 of 16 (1716 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Sarn Ford [In reply to] Can't Post

There were apparently a number of Rangers guarding Sarn Ford, who were attacked by the Black Riders on Sept. 22 (Frodo's birthday, and the day before he leaves Bag End). But the ToY in Appendix B says the Black Riders drove off a "guard of Rangers"--how many there were and how many casualties we don't know. But it's clear that even a handful of casualties depleted the Rangers. Even if most of those guards were not slain or injured, they were probably affected by the Black Breath.
Also, we are told that the Rangers who came south were "as many as could be gathered at need"; that makes me think that many Rangers were isolated and far from being able to get news.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.