Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Does anyone know anything about Kili & Fili's father?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 10 2015, 3:56am

Post #51 of 55 (588 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

that is also a possibility Smile We can never really know for sure though Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 10 2015, 3:11pm

Post #52 of 55 (577 views)
Shortcut
But if you hadn't read the books, you wouldn't have known all this [In reply to] Can't Post

Just sayin'. Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Pandallo
Rivendell

Mar 11 2015, 5:10am

Post #53 of 55 (555 views)
Shortcut
Very reasonable. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now all of that makes a terrifically perfect amount of sense. I did not know anything of the Dwarves taking apprentices or being apprenticed but this would make sense that Gimli could still have been in that phase of his training.

That explanation is tacit and fits well with the world view. Thanks for the indepth surmising.

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 11 2015, 4:15pm

Post #54 of 55 (529 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

I have tried to read everything I could about dwarves and their society and culture (admittedly there isn't much to be had Frown) and that was a logical deduction based upon what information I did find out Smile

I write hobbit fan fiction, so I want to make sure that the world represented in my work is indeed Tolkien's (though obviously specific storylines/alterations/any original characters are mine), and not a "Disneyfied" facsimile with the same name (like most bad fan fictions end up being Crazy). So details like that, no matter how obscure, are relevant because it can affect how the dwarves view each other, as well as the overall view of the story and the world in general.

So for instance, if Gloin is having a conversation with someone who isn't aware of how the meetings in Ered Luin went, like perhaps Bilbo (in reference to the meetings that took place when Thorin selected the company), and Ori is describing that particular event to someone (having drawn it in his journal) and Bilbo asks why one dwarf he doesn't know is sulking in the corner and looking (in Middle-earth speak) pissed off, then an explanation such as the apprenticeship bond one would come up, because it would explain why Gimli is ticked and sulking in the corner and why he's not present for the quest Wink

It's the little details that help build Tolkien's world, and it's also those little details of culture and history and lore that help fan fictions become recognizable as Tolkien's world and not a foreign, unrecognizable version of a place also called Middle-earth but definitely NOT the same one as Tolkien's.

One of the things I love and adore about Tolkien's work is that the history, places, culture and (with exception to Khuzdul) languages have morphed over time. Elvish has transformed from the original tongue at Cuvienen to the common Sindarin spoken by the time of the Quest. Aragorn sings of Luthien and Beren, an ancient legend that took place in lands that are now buried under the sea. The Fellowship walks through the ruins of an ancient dwarf kingdom, and the stones in Hollin speak to Legolas of a time long ago when elves still walked in the land, and their presence has not been forgotten by the stone, but the trees have no memory of them. Sauron resides in an old abandoned elf fortress in a wood that used to be beautiful but has fallen into decay and ruin and infested with spiders. The dwarves have migrated across Middle-earth and founded and lost many kingdoms. The company and Frodo and Aragorn and the other hobbits all pass beneath the shadow of an old fortress, Weathertop, from a kingdom lost long ago to battle, and Frodo, Sam, and Gollum see the corpses of elves fallen during a battle that took place almost 3,000 years prior.

That depth, that history, that lore is crucial to making Middle-earth believable as a real world place, and not shallow and only present time. Therefore, I try to incorporate such details in the fan fiction as well (such as the apprenticeship detail, and the scene I mentioned above about the drawing? It wasn't explained to Bilbo (an original character) but that is a real scene in my story) because I believe it gives it that realistic, real world depth to it as well Smile

And if Tolkien doesn't happen to fill in specific details for us, then we have to extrapolate based upon what we have Smile And the apprenticeship theory is the one I can see as being the most plausible (though Otaku-sempai's theory that he wasn't emotionally ready to go or had an overprotective mother is also possible).

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 7:56pm

Post #55 of 55 (466 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe that Tolkien mentioned him... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe that Tolkien mentioned a TEENSY WEENY THING (unfortunately) about Kili and Fili's father. =( I have asked about that before but always came an answer in the negative....I guess that is our fate, to hang around with no knowledge!

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.