The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Mithril and Shelob

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2015, 11:41am

Post #1 of 14 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Mithril and Shelob Can't Post

I was watchin ROTK and Shelob just pierces Frodo´s mithril like nothing, a bit of incongruence isnt? I dont remember if in the book there is this "mistake" aswell

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 2 2015, 1:39pm

Post #2 of 14 (3870 views)
Shortcut
In the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Frodo is stung in the back of his neck.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2015, 10:46pm

Post #3 of 14 (3792 views)
Shortcut
v-neck [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed it was because of that darn v-neck.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 10:50pm

Post #4 of 14 (3795 views)
Shortcut
And by that time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Frodo was so starved and skinny that the front of the shirt drooped lower.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 3 2015, 3:58am

Post #5 of 14 (3795 views)
Shortcut
Here’s the quote…. [In reply to] Can't Post

-TT, Choices of Master Samwise

’Garn!” said Shagrat. ‘She’s got more than one poison. When she’s hunting, she just gives ‘em a dab in the neck and they go as limp as boned fish, and then she has her way with them.”

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2015, 5:35pm

Post #6 of 14 (3873 views)
Shortcut
ok , nek is consistent, thats why books still best than movies [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 11 2015, 9:43am

Post #7 of 14 (3617 views)
Shortcut
thats right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

all this stupid movie armour including the ridiculous lace up at the front maille shirts that the dwarves wore in the hobbit, absolute rubbish.

shelob hit him above the mithril shirts gaping collar in the upper chest

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Feb 11 2015, 9:47am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 12 2015, 1:50am

Post #8 of 14 (3611 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this is just a retcon on my part, but I think that the mithril shirt [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

all this stupid movie armour including the ridiculous lace up at the front maille shirts that the dwarves wore in the hobbit, absolute rubbish.

was made as a ceremonial garment for a child, not as real battlefield armor, so the maker put more effort into making it pretty and comfortable than into making it protective.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 12 2015, 3:07am

Post #9 of 14 (3602 views)
Shortcut
"A diversion"!!! Spectacular!! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2015, 3:16am

Post #10 of 14 (3618 views)
Shortcut
Could it have been meant [In reply to] Can't Post

to be worn with a gorget of some kind, do you think? Or perhaps a matching mithril mail hood which would cover that area?

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 13 2015, 12:16am

Post #11 of 14 (3582 views)
Shortcut
that would be a waste of the rarest material of note in Arda [In reply to] Can't Post

and Thorin does note it's practical value when gifting it to Bilbo. It is not the only design that suffers from a flaw of this type, specifically in the Hobbit movie some of the dwarves shirt are noticeably weak at the front.

Niniachel
The Shire

Feb 13 2015, 7:48pm

Post #12 of 14 (3564 views)
Shortcut
very confused here [In reply to] Can't Post

so how much was this shirt drooping?

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 3:03am

Post #13 of 14 (3566 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

also... wouldn't the gall-injury (to frodo's chest, because the ring was rested against it) be more in the center, not on his right side?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

banaili
Bree

Feb 26 2015, 3:55pm

Post #14 of 14 (3492 views)
Shortcut
Poison! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always just assumed that even if her stinger didn't get through the mithril completely, her poison would be able to--and that's what got him ultimately. But just a fan's guess! :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.