Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 9:37pm

Post #1 of 89 (1738 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 89 (1336 views)
Shortcut
I just finished "The Great Race" for the umpty-millionth time [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched this movie since I was a child. It's outrageously silly, with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood, Peter Falk and a host of other well-known actors. The Great Race is set in the early 1900's where the Great Leslie (Tony Curtis, who sparkles occasionally) is winning all kinds of skill contests, while his arch-rival Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon) fails time after time. Fate dedicates himself to beating Leslie, and engineers a New York to Paris auto race. Improbable, and geographically challenging, but they figure it out. Natalie Wood is Maggie DuBois, a suffragist who is not hindered by a woman's role in those times, and is pursued by both Fate and Leslie. The movie includes the most memorable pie fight ever put on film. Who will get the girl? Who will win the race? Is there any doubt???

I don't like silly movies, as a rule, but I can watch this one again and again. So many great lines, and great performances by the cast.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 10:29pm

Post #3 of 89 (1333 views)
Shortcut
The Blues Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the first time I've seen it, and HOW had I not watched it sooner? Anarchic fun from start to finish - the early scenes with the nun were brilliant. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 10:36pm

Post #4 of 89 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Most of that was filmed in Chicago, [In reply to] Can't Post

so it's fun for me to watch the movie now. I remember when Chicago looked that way, and it's so different now. Although I think Lower Wacker Drive is the same.

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 10:42pm

Post #5 of 89 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Entmaiden, have you seen [In reply to] Can't Post

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines? It's the same silly story as The Great Race, but with old airplanes instead of cars, not as much fun overall, but one of my all time favorite theme songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2015, 11:00pm

Post #6 of 89 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Song of the Sea [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a brilliant, fabulously rendered full length animated Irish film. I think it's the best (in terms of my own visual enjoyment of course) animation I've seen aside from Hayao Miyazaki's films.The scenes are beautiful artistically and wonderfully creative.

The story is about a little girl, Saoirse (pronounced Seer-sha), and her older brother Ben who live with their father at a lighthouse. Saorise, who is mute from birth, turns out to be a selkyie - one of those mythical creatures who live as a seal in the ocean and as a human on land. She finds a magical shell flute and a special coat that her mother left behind. (Her mother was a selkie also, who returned to the sea while giving birth to Saoirse.) Ben and his sister are taken away from their beloved lighthouse to live with their very proper grandmother. Together they try to journey back to the lighthouse, and along the way are helped or hindered by magical creatures - some fairies, some not so nice owls. They discover that Saoirse has the ability, with the help of the magic flute and coat, to bring their mother's stories to life and to free those who had been turned to stone. The story also gives us a little lesson about freeing your feelings (as exemplified by the wicked owl-lady who keeps jars full of different feelings and emotions).

This is a visually beautiful film, with an enchanting story drawn from Irish and Scottish legends, and some really lovely Celtic music. It's been nominated for an Oscar this year for Best Animated Feature Film.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 1 2015, 11:03pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 11:04pm

Post #7 of 89 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree it's not as funny, but a wacky, funny movie. I think part of my attachment to The Great Race is because we watched it with our dad, along with all the Peter Sellers/Inspector Clouseau movies. I think I know all of them by heart.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 89 (1317 views)
Shortcut
I recognised Lower Wacker. :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 11:34pm

Post #9 of 89 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I think we did a part of Lower Wacker on the way to Soldier Field. [In reply to] Can't Post

and possibly on that interminable journey from the Chicago Steel Works back home. Remember that biker? I hope he made it to safety.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 2 2015, 12:22am

Post #10 of 89 (1333 views)
Shortcut
I'm from the UK and trying desperately to find a way to watch this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

But all fruitless efforts unfortunately. (It's not out until July here) I can't even find it from the naughty sources, which I generally avoid unless I'm particularly desperate. I think I'm going to have to wait for the Blu-ray. Hopefully they'll do a twin pack with Secret of Kells.

I didn't read your summary for fear of spoilers, but you seemed to enjoy it, so that's a cool sign Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 2 2015, 12:26am)

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 2 2015, 12:27am

Post #11 of 89 (1319 views)
Shortcut
I'll put this on my list! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks so much for recommending it -- and for teaching me how to pronounce the lovely name of Saoirse! I found excellent reviews on Amazon, plus a few screen caps from one Irish reviewer. You're so right -- it looks like a breathtakingly beautiful film. Hope it wins.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2015, 12:29am

Post #12 of 89 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I have thought about him occasionally. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Remember that biker? I hope he made it to safety.

He was a tough guy. That wind might have stopped him but it wasn't going to beat him!

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 12:41am

Post #13 of 89 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Push the button, Max! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this movie. The pie fight always makes me hungry!

Have you seen Lemmon & Curtis in "Some Like It Hot"? Zowie!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 12:46am

Post #14 of 89 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Here are some US showings [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...ww.facebook.com%252F

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 12:47am

Post #15 of 89 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Because of that movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Everytime I see a show with military repelling down the side of a building... I have to holler "HUT, HUT, HUT, HUT, HUT...!!"

Did you notice that the County worker they pay is Steven Spielberg? :D

"We're getting the band back together!"

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 2 2015, 12:48am

Post #16 of 89 (1333 views)
Shortcut
It would be amazing if it wins... [In reply to] Can't Post

..Although I haven't seen it, I'd be really happy if it won, it'd restore my faith in the Academy. But I've been studying animation for years and, despite not seeing either of these films, I can tell you that Big Hero 6 will win simply because Disney. It's quite depressing but it's an unfortunate fact in animation that Disney wins because, well, Disney. Mad

Big Hero 6 just got released in the UK yesterday, if you're wondering why someone who studies animation hasn't seen it yet Laugh. We're so behind over here. I'd also love for The Tale of Princess Kaguya to win, but again, not going to happen. - Add that to your list if you haven't already. Amazing film.

The other contender, The Boxtrolls, while not the best movie ever, it is coming from a studio (Laika) that I am the biggest fan of. I have huge expectations of this studio's future. They're an immensely talented team and given the right project (which is only a matter of time) they will eventually create a true groundbreaking masterpiece. I had hopes going in that The Boxtrolls was going to be the one - but not yet, not yet. Maybe next time. (Kubo and the Two Strings is their next project, so look out for that)

Big Hero 6 or MAYBE How to Train Your Dragon 2 will take the Oscar.

(sorry, you mention animation and what was meant to be a short reply turns into an essay for me Unsure)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2015, 12:56am

Post #17 of 89 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's a great movie, [In reply to] Can't Post

but The Great Race is my favorite. Rise and Shine? You Rise! You Shine! Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2015, 1:55am

Post #18 of 89 (1310 views)
Shortcut
No I didn't! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've recorded the film so I'll take another look.

Ataahua's stories

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 2 2015, 2:04am

Post #19 of 89 (1309 views)
Shortcut
And I'm grateful for your 'essay'! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've given me several more films to investigate and look forward to! Now I'm excited about The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which I haven't seen yet -- although from what I've read, it sounds exquisite. And the Laika Studio projects look like great fun too.

Sadly, I expect you're right about the Oscar chances of either of these films ('Song' or 'Tale'), but wouldn't it be nice to be surprised!

So thanks to your essay, I have hours of truly wonderful animated films on my list -- and great expectations!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 2 2015, 2:09am

Post #20 of 89 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Boyhood, BOTFA viewing #4, Finding Vivian Maier [In reply to] Can't Post

Still plugging away at my attempt to see all Oscar nominees for once in my life!

Boyhood. The unique way this was filmed, same cast over a span of 12 years, allows us to see the characters age naturally and see the main protagonist age from 7 to 19 in just under 3 hours. It is an interesting conceit but, I'm afraid, I did not like this movie at all. Other than watching a life unfold, there really wasn't a plot. And while I do not need big explosions or complex storylines, I generally DO want SOMETHING to happen. I really just found myself watching the scenes change and just looking to see how the boy looked older now (Oh, look! His hair is longer!). It is a LONG movie so I found it particularly tiresome. I seem to be in the minority so can anyone explain to me what is so great about this film?

Finding Vivian Maier. Nominee for Best Documentary. Really excellent story of a reclusive, difficult woman who was a nanny but took lots of photos throughout her life. A young man buys a box of old negatives at an auction (he is writing a book and needs old pics of Chicago and hopes to find some in this mountain of negatives). He discovers a cache of REALLY good photos and starts searching for the woman who took these photographs. Fascinating person behind the lens,

Viewing #4 of BOTFA. Took my mom who is a BIG fan of LOTR (but not a book reader). She did not particularly like the first 2 Hobbit films. Also, between AUJ and DOS, she got into a terrible car accident (fell asleep behind the wheel) and permanently damaged her ear so loud sounds hurt her. She wears earplugs but still she gasps in pain during loud sound bursts. I felt bad for her and watched her to see of she was okay. She also has a bad back. At the end, around the sad parts, I noticed her sitting forward in her seat. Was she uncomfortable? Or was she literally "on the edge of her seat"? At Thorin's death, I wasn't sure but I offered her a tissue anyway and she chokingly accepted and I knew all was right with the world. She really liked the movie and thought it the best of all 3 Hobbit films. Trying to get my brother (a book reader) to see it before it leaves theatres, which will be soon Mad

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 2 2015, 2:31am

Post #21 of 89 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Sons of Liberty [In reply to] Can't Post

On History Channel.

Not perfectly historically accurate but interesting and entertaining.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 2:48am

Post #22 of 89 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Song of the Sea is by the same people who did Book of Kells [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a number of screenshots from both movies on my desktop (I have a slide show setting for my desktop wallpapers) although I haven't seen Song of the Sea yet.

I just loved the artwork so much for Book of Kells.

And if you haven't seen Caroline and/or ParaNorman, those are by the people who did Box Trolls.

I haven't seen Box Trolls yet, either. Dec and Jan were kind of lost months for me. I plan to rent it, though.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 2:56am

Post #23 of 89 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Marco Polo and ep 2 of Grantchester [In reply to] Can't Post

I just caught up episode 2 of Grantchester online since I missed it last week. Just in time for ep 3 which starts in 10 minutes on TV. It's a very enjoyable show.

I also put on the Netflix produced show, Marco Polo. I wasn't an exemplary show, by any means. And I'm sure it's not historically accurate. It's a Game of Thrones inspired show.

I liked it well enough to watch all 10 episodes but somehow, the last 4 minutes which set up 'the next season' kind of put me off. I wanted stronger stories and more of a 'wrap up' of whatever stronger story they might have come up with. I'd have to be pretty bored to watch another season should one appear.

It did have Lawrence Makoare as a eunuch and, how dang geeky am I that I recognized the name of the master armorer, Matt Appleton. I can't verify that's it's the same person as worked on the LOTR films (and appeared as an elf at the Council of Elrond) but I suspect it is.

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 2 2015, 3:29am

Post #24 of 89 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Secret of Kells should be available to me through Amazon Prime. Thanks!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2015, 4:15am

Post #25 of 89 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Wow, it's great that you study animation! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure because of that you have a much greater appreciation of the technical achievements of the movies we see on screen. I haven't seen Big Hero 6 nor How To Train Your Dragon 2....actually I don't intend to. Somehow those types of commercial animated films don't interest me as much (although there are a few I have really enjoyed in the past).

I think you'd really like Song of the Sea, and hope you get to watch it, preferably on a big screen, some time soon. It's just so visually breathtaking! And the story is beautiful too. But you are probably right...."Disney wins because, well, Disney". Sigh.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.