frozen

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 7:33pm

Post #1 of 16 (782 views)
Shortcut
frozen Can't Post

welcome to scenic Antarctica...

oh wait, it's just the Susquehanna River in southcentral PA...

a journey through Mirkwood....

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 8:17pm

Post #2 of 16 (686 views)
Shortcut
Great photos! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (694 views)
Shortcut
How disappointing! [In reply to] Can't Post

To travel all that way and not be allowed to swim. Frown

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 4:01pm

Post #4 of 16 (642 views)
Shortcut
JUST how many Sled Dogs do you OWN? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby can see you now...Bouncing over LOGs
Yelling "MUSH" & "Mush" some MORE..jus'
LIKE Radagast....

For awhile Bomby lived in "Penn's WOODS"
South of PITT's TOWN...
BUT?...

the Call of Wild in Colorado
FORCED bomby to Grow up skiing UP &
@ our Country's BirthPlace of Many Rivers..
The RIO GRANDE, The COLORADO, The ARKANSAS,
The NORTH & SOUTH PLATTE.. Even the GREEN RIVER?

Keep on MUSHING! SW...UNTIL you
CAN'T mush any more.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 16 (640 views)
Shortcut
jus' those two [In reply to] Can't Post

had four once

OK, 3 and a quarter

Number "quarter" was a 16 pound Schipperke (a little black Belgian spitz type) who joined us at about ten years old and was so enthusiastic I hooked him up with the other three Siberians. Of course we went at his pace (a nice brisk trot) and he got to ride in the rig or sled when he pooped out. he eventually succumbed to old age stuff and passed west, but what a force of nature!

I had driven four Siberians on my three wheeled (stable, brakes) rig (three of mine and a friend's) and that was fairly easy. Then I posted some pics on the local newspaper's photo sitet, and they called on the heels of a snowstorm and said, "are ...you... moooshing?"

"Um, yeah, if I can get the van into the trail head..."

So we loaded up my three and my friend's one and took off...

and the reporter wanted the iconic "all four dogs on one team shot".

Erp. A nice recreational team of two or three is easy to handle, sort of, and you still get "SQUIRREL!!!" and other distractions and tangles and things and stuffs. And one dog added to two is an exponential leap in power.

And I have no idea how they drive fargin 16 dogs in the Iditarod...

Four was like: "I'M GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...."

Fortunately the snow was deepish and the brakes were goodish and the dogs were biddableish and we got lost a bit but they found the trail back and the photog got great pics.

Wow, Colorado. Been through there once, stood on top of the Rockies. Wow. in July. Snowdrifts. Running through them barefoot. Freezing at night under everything warm I could find, tent parked on top of some sort of rodent village of little tunnels and ridges and stuff. Sky dark blue at noon. Gazillions of stars at night.

Skijoring is the sport where you tie a few sleddogs to your belt and ski after them. hopefully you're a good skier. Cause skiis have no brakes.

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 5:14pm

Post #6 of 16 (614 views)
Shortcut
Let it go, Let it Gooooooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Sorry, it's almost reflex now.

Beautiful pictures! We have a choice of a couple routes north from Maryland to Buffalo when we travel. We pick US Rt 15 because it goes along the Susquehanna River, making the trip a little more interesting. I love seeing the mountains rise out of the river valley. Such pretty scenery!

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 6:17pm

Post #7 of 16 (612 views)
Shortcut
I am going for a world record [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never heard that song in its entirety.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 16 (610 views)
Shortcut
awww that's too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually love that song. And the message my daughters took away from the movie was one that I fully endorse.

All-in-all, even though it has become ubiquitous, I still really enjoy the movie.

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 7:04pm

Post #9 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
Read this today and thought of you [In reply to] Can't Post

What makes a good sled dog?
Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 10:16pm

Post #10 of 16 (608 views)
Shortcut
When I hear a few seconds of that chorus, [In reply to] Can't Post

it literally sets my teeth on edge - I just can't bear the pitch. I have the same thing with Whitney Houston singing 'I will always love you'.
It's amazing I have managed to avoid the film, considering I work with children! I have nothing against it, I'm just not interested.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 7:20pm

Post #11 of 16 (593 views)
Shortcut
somewhere up there is a great little version [In reply to] Can't Post

of the statue of liberty, right in the middle of the river, you can paddle almost up to her...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 16 (588 views)
Shortcut
I actually LOVE Frozen [In reply to] Can't Post

Tangled, meh... (not sure why)

Frozen yeah!

I loved the soundtrack from the first "heeey yahh hey yah" moments of the ice-cutters song (maybe traditional Sami ?)

I do get the dislike of certain pitches. There are some kinds of high pitched voices that make me scream. And some kinds of fussy intellectual classical that make me cringe. And anything noisy and urban... bleargh!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 7:25pm

Post #13 of 16 (604 views)
Shortcut
love Natty Geo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to make a point that anyone with a dog can enjoy the fine art of (recreational) mushing. Most dogs love to run, and hooking them up to a bike in a good harness and hitting a safe trail is a fun, safe way to LET 'EM GO, LET 'EM GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 9:12pm

Post #14 of 16 (598 views)
Shortcut
it's the singing style [In reply to] Can't Post

apparently the big thing these days is singers who belt everything - sing even high notes in what is called chest voice. Gives it a raw quality. Great for singing the blues or rock-and-roll, and now it's spread to Broadway. A passing fad one hopes.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 3 2015, 6:08am

Post #15 of 16 (564 views)
Shortcut
On that side of the river, it's in the Marysville area with all the stonework at the road's edge.// // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2015, 6:51pm

Post #16 of 16 (565 views)
Shortcut
the White Lady [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.