Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 3:49pm

Post #1 of 81 (2374 views)
Shortcut
just a wee reminder Can't Post

that hilarity is yet ensuing on The River of Denial

grab a kayak, a floaty chair, a fruity (cough) healthful drink

and jump on in...

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=831404;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mưl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 31 2015, 5:48pm

Post #2 of 81 (1658 views)
Shortcut
pssssst... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone can just re-start the thread on page 1 since it's dropped off. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 7:48pm

Post #3 of 81 (1602 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

Paddlers in the River are pulling up to a handy Mirkwood TOURIST TRAP, to buy their souvenir bottles
of genuine elven FAIRY dust. And lots of chocolate. And ICE. Because, yah know, Valentine's Day is
coming - a day we CELEBRATE with the ones we love BEST. Cool

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Cool

Kim
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 8:48pm

Post #4 of 81 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking of renting a houseboat [In reply to] Can't Post

to float down the River of Denial in comfort. It'll be one of those with bunks & kitchen on the lower deck, and the open party deck up top, complete with hot tub and mini-bar. Anybody want to go in on this with me? There's a slide off the back too. Think I may just live here through the summer.

#OneLastTime

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 9:49pm

Post #5 of 81 (1518 views)
Shortcut
And a working bathroom? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to float down the River of Denial in comfort. It'll be one of those with bunks & kitchen on the lower deck, and the open party deck up top, complete with hot tub and mini-bar. Anybody want to go in on this with me? There's a slide off the back too. Think I may just live here through the summer.

If so, count me in! I'll bring munchies and TP!Tongue

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 9:51pm

Post #6 of 81 (1533 views)
Shortcut
That's adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and chocolate - how can you go wrong?HeartHeartHeartEvil

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kim
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 10:09pm

Post #7 of 81 (1512 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have all the amenities, except perhaps a dishwasher, so just write your name on your red solo cup so we know whose drink is who's.

#OneLastTime

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 11:08pm

Post #8 of 81 (1521 views)
Shortcut
it's just simple math, really [In reply to] Can't Post

For sure TongueTongueTongueHeartHeartHeart

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 11:13pm

Post #9 of 81 (1508 views)
Shortcut
That's a bad combination around me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin and chocolate - how can you go wrong?HeartHeartHeartEvil

so I'm not sure if I'll be able to control myself. I still find it amazing how many of us Thorin admirers are also chocoholics. Coincidence? I think not! And come Valentine's Day, I'll have been a Thorin fan for two years! I count it from this day, and no, I didn't first see AUJ on Valentine's Day, that was shortly after the seventh time, but the last time I saw AUJ in 3D (since I still can't afford to upgrade to Blu-ray yet, so the theater is the only place I can view any of the movies in 3D). And since there's only a 9:45 p.m. showing, I'll have to wait until BoFA moves to our cheapest theater to see it again. Seen it five times already; once in HFR 3D, twice in RealD 3D, and twice in 3D, so much like AUJ, I've seen BoFA is all three formats, and this is the first trilogy where I've seen all three movies in theaters, since I usually miss one, most often the first one.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 11:44pm

Post #10 of 81 (1485 views)
Shortcut
And I've found my new footer // [In reply to] Can't Post

#OneLastTime

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 12:43am

Post #11 of 81 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Nice boats Kim! Count me in for half. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very good idea. I'll bring an extra blender so we have a backup. I have a feeling we are gonna go through a LOT of blender motors.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 1:30am

Post #12 of 81 (1480 views)
Shortcut
Can I build my blanket fort in a corner of your Houseboat? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got loads of blankets. I was thinking of just living in my blanket fort for awhile. Like this:

Cool

In fact, my new motto is:

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Feb 1 2015, 1:32am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 1:38am

Post #13 of 81 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll definitely need more than one blender, maybe we should look into getting some industrial strength ones to handle the volume.

#OneLastTime

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 1:38am

Post #14 of 81 (1471 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little worried... [In reply to] Can't Post

*whispers* You know how Dwarves are with plumbing... PirateWink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 1:41am

Post #15 of 81 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

We can set that up in the corner of the living area on the main deck, so it doesn't get blown over in the winds that always follow Thorin around. Can you make it big enough for others to take a turn?

Excellent motto! Cool

#OneLastTime

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 1:48am

Post #16 of 81 (1465 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got enough blankets for everyone. We may need a few more pillows though...

Kim
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 1:54am

Post #17 of 81 (1468 views)
Shortcut
I've got plenty [In reply to] Can't Post

of blankets and pillows to contribute, so I think we'll be just fine.

(one of them might be a Seahawks blanket - just sayin' Wink)

#OneLastTime

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 1 2015, 2:01am

Post #18 of 81 (1474 views)
Shortcut
I'm primarily [In reply to] Can't Post

A lurker here but it's worth it to log in and say that I thoroughly enjoyed the original of this thread and all it's derivatives including the links to fan fiction.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 2:07am

Post #19 of 81 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Let's try to keep this on topic to the Hobbit movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise it's fine to start a thread in Off Topic. Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 2:51am

Post #20 of 81 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

How nice! Happy you are enjoying the tumbling MADNESS and all the fruit drinks!Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 3:07am

Post #21 of 81 (1467 views)
Shortcut
We need a theory to cover that Majestic Breeze, you know. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We can set that up in the corner of the living area on the main deck, so it doesn't get blown over in the winds that always follow Thorin around.

I think it attached to the hair and Thorin himself. Ro brought this up last week so I have thought upon it. A hair cut from the Majestic Scalp falls motionless, I think.

So, why? Maybe Thorin working shirtless at the forge swished from peril a tiny Air elemental drawn in too close by the danger of the fire and his shirtlessness, and thus she is attached to him for life.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 3:27am

Post #22 of 81 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Thorin has been spotted at Literary Starbucks [In reply to] Can't Post

Here

I believe it's a stop along the river.

Now we know how he likes his coffee... or do we...?

(PS it's a great blog for those who love literature.)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 3:29am

Post #23 of 81 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Those folks are so clever. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 3:53am

Post #24 of 81 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Rough weather ahead [In reply to] Can't Post

Weather Channel says the next storm is named Linus. Good thing we've got all these blankets! Laugh

And back on topic...

Will this new storm system affect the wafting of ebony locks? Crazy

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 7:02pm

Post #25 of 81 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Inquiring minds want to know? Tolkien dwarves, boats and water [In reply to] Can't Post

Re a quick search on the Tolkien gateway I found this:

Dwarves generally lived far from the sea and avoided getting on boats, as they disliked the sound of the ocean and were afraid of it.[5]

But on Cliiff Notes I found this:

Bilbo and the dwarves begin to go through the dark and dreadful forest of Mirkwood. They come to the enchanted stream Beorn warned about, and Bilbo sees a boat on the other side. With great difficulty, they use iron hooks from their packs to pull the boat toward them. They have just disembarked on the other side when they are startled by a deer leaping the stream. Thorin fires an arrow at him, as they need the meat, and in the confusion Bombur sets the boat adrift and falls into the stream. When they pull him out, he is asleep — enchanted by the waters of the stream.

Hmph. My own thinking would be that anyone who mines, and builds, is well aware of the power and uses of water - and even NEED for it in working metals, and that as we see, both book and film, that the dwarves have no particular FEAR of water...

And that much like the Hobbits that live near rivers, any dwarf that lived near a coast would eventually make use of the seas - at least within sight of the coast - for transportation and sustenance. Perhaps in sturdy coracle-type boats.

I can't think of dwarves not making use of rivers. And it goes without saying that our Hobbit dwarves would make a fine crew of merry pirates.Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.