The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Rank Peter Jackson's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Movies

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 31 2015, 7:24pm

Post #1 of 25 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Rank Peter Jackson's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Movies Can't Post

As in the title, in this thread you can rank the 6 films Smile and discuss them. I'll list mine here first:
1.) ROTK
2.) FOTR
3.) TTT
4.) AUJ
5.) BOFA
6.) DOS
I hope you enjoy this, as I'm new and not sure if this topic has had a thread since BOFA came out.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 25 (1617 views)
Shortcut
My list... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) FOTR
2) ROTK
3) TT
4) BOTFA
5) DOS
6) AUJ

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 31 2015, 8:42pm

Post #3 of 25 (1603 views)
Shortcut
I'll try! =P [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Return of the King
2. The Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Two Towers
4. An Unexpected Journey
5. Battle of the Five Armies
6. Desolation of Smaug

We were completely the same! I totally did not mean for that!!!WinkSmile

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 25 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Here's what my list looks like today [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FOTR
2.-3. TTT & ROTK
4. AUJ
5. BOFA
6. DOS

Welcome to TORn, Earendil! Smile

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 31 2015, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 25 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I love all the movies, so it's cool to see other people's variant rankings.

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 31 2015, 9:15pm

Post #6 of 25 (1584 views)
Shortcut
awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that looks... perfect! Cool

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 31 2015, 9:21pm

Post #7 of 25 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks good, could easily have been my list. I hate putting TT behind FOTR and ROTK, but the ent scenes just weigh it down for me now (Last March of the Ents not included, that scene is amazing), although they are interesting the first time. Helm's Deep is possibly my favorite battle in the series, that's the biggest plus to TT for me.
Thank you! I'm glad to be here, it's fun to have a place to get out my inner Tolkien nerdiness; my family gets a little tired of it... Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 10:26pm

Post #8 of 25 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) FOTR
2) ROTK
3) TT
4) AUJ
5) ?
6) ?

Can you believe I haven't seen the last two? CrazyCrazy

Earendil: I told you so.
Welcome,
BG

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 10:27pm

Post #9 of 25 (1575 views)
Shortcut
I think they get better as they go along... [In reply to] Can't Post

... chronologically, of course.

1. The Return of the King
2. The Two Towers
3. The Fellowship of the Ring
4. The Battle of the Five Armies
5. The Desolation of Smaug
6. An Unexpected Journey

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 10:29pm

Post #10 of 25 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

The Two Towers
Return of the King
Fellowship of the Ring
Battle of the Five Armies
Desolation of Smaug
An Unexpected Journey

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 12:33am

Post #11 of 25 (1591 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR
AUJ
ROTK
DoS
BoFA
TTT

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 1:10am

Post #12 of 25 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Yup, like that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 1:58am

Post #13 of 25 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at my first choice and your last choice. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 2:55am

Post #14 of 25 (1544 views)
Shortcut
*high five, DI!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 2:59am

Post #15 of 25 (1553 views)
Shortcut
*groans* I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought of you instantly when I moved my titles about! Laugh

It may be at the bottom of this list yet I still do love it. So difficult to rank these in a straight numerical order: rankings in pairs or trios would be easier.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 3:06am

Post #16 of 25 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Next time you pop over [In reply to] Can't Post

we can watch FOTR - that will be a safe option. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 3:23am

Post #17 of 25 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Yes, plenty of common ground to enjoy [In reply to] Can't Post

But just for good measure I shall bring Legos

and cake.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 9:13am

Post #18 of 25 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Er... well..... my list goes [In reply to] Can't Post

1=. Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

'Cos to me they are genuinely one story and I can't separate them. One I have the BotFA DVDs there won't ever be a time when I watch one film and not the other five. My absolute favourite scenes and less favourite are spread through the series - I could rank scenes more than films, but that would be a very long list!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 3:13pm

Post #19 of 25 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Differentiating TE rankings from EE rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

The Theatricals so far in descending order:

ROTK-FOTR tie for first
BOTFA close second
DOS-TTT-AUJ tie for close third

I reserve the chance to amend those rankings after I have seen TH trilogy several more times.

The EE's in terms of how well the EE additions/changes enhanced or improved on the Theatrical version, in descending order:

1. TTT EE loved the added bits that fleshed out Boromir's character and his relationship with Faramir. also enjoyed the bit with Old Man Willow, the Ent-draught, and the coming of the Huorns at the end. The bit with Aragorn and Eowyn and her awful stew was cute, and it helped clarify his age for the movie adaptation story. loved the Legolas and Gimli bit with the "43"...."embedded in his nervous system" lines. Giving emphasis to Ring of Barahir was a nice nod for book-fans. Generally, drawing out the build-up makes the ending of TTT better IMO.

2. FOTR EE awesome extras, making one of my near-favorites even better. the "lembas commercial" by Legolas, followed by the Merry-Pippin punchline, had me in stitches. The expanded prologue, and the expanded beginning bits with Bilbo, set up everything better. It was necessary to have that added scene at the party with Bilbo and Frodo, otherwise they would have no scenes together until ending of ROTK.

3. AUJ EE great stuff! I love the bit with Bilbo's childhood, and the bit with Bilbo and Elrond. The dwarf comedy bits are ok.

4. ROTK EE The theatrical version was already my favorite. The changes in EE made it somewhat worse. The added bits with the King of the Dead took away some suspense that was in the TE. I'm not sure that the Crossroads, the Gothmog chases Eowyn bit, Aragorn facing Sauron via palantir, and the Orc-disguise scenes in Mordor, really enhanced it much.

5. DOS EE this one is ranked last mostly due to the Wilhelm scream in the Thrain bit. That sound effect did not fit the tone of the scene. I seriousy think it would have been jarring, even if I hadn't been familiar with the history of that sound effect. I enjoyed seeing more Beorn, but because Beorn wasn't really a big part of the adaptation trilogy, I didn't feel like they added much to overall enjoyment.

I can only hope that BOTFA EE takes the number 1 spot from TTT EE. We'll see....

He was born of mortal frailty mixed with Elven fallen realm,
Comin’ home to a land he’d never been before.
Arvernian behind him, sailed the seas of Middle-earth,
You might say he didn’t know what lay in store.

When his wife came out to find him she'd been turned into a bird,
Upon her breast there shone a shining star,
So he took her to his bosom, and by morn her form returned,
And he shifted West to find the high Valar.

And in Valinor he went before the high,
In doing so, resigned himself to die.
Take up arms against the Shadow, asked he of the high,
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 2:43am

Post #20 of 25 (1508 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to copy off you. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the order I thought of, but it's easier to let you type it :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Misto
Lorien

Feb 2 2015, 1:19pm

Post #21 of 25 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Here's mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) TTT
2.) ROTK
3.) FOTR
4.) AUJ
5.) DOS
6.) BOFTA

TTT might lack the epic supersized battle, but I really like how it takes its time to develop characters and still keeps the momentum going, whereas ROTK is better in terms of photography but the story just isn't quite perfect for the big screen. I'm aware that is a "fault" of the book, but the climax is just very early (Battle of Pellinor) and it just can't really keep you on the edge of your seat afterwards. That's nobody's fault, really but an example of why what works in a book doesn't necessarily work in a film.
FOTR is great in its closeness to the book, but that's also the drawback: it isn't exactly super exciting and feels longer than the other two films. The same can be said about AUJ. It's great in terms of closeness to the book but I only discovered that I liked it, after I saw part 2 and 3. At first viewing I found it slightly boring and stretched and it is, in a way. Then again, I didn't know that it was going to get worse.
Actually, I liked DOS better than AUJ on first viewing because, if you ignore the book, it works as an action film. But the more I think about it, the less happy I'm with PJ's choices. I don't really mind the additional parts to beef up the story, but could we please at least keep the original story (there's little enough) before we come up with additions?
BOFTA had great entertaining value and that's all I can say about it. And with "entertaining" I mean it was so unbelievably ridiculous I nearly burst out laughing in cinema. What it has got to do with the Hobbit - I don't know. And unlike DOS I can't even say that it worked as an action film because even those need something of a central theme to keep them going. BOFTA was just a picture overload with a few paltry attempts at getting some (not even the original) story into it.

(This post was edited by Misto on Feb 2 2015, 1:21pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2015, 3:28pm

Post #22 of 25 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Rather reversed for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. TTT
2./3. FOTR/ ROTK
4. DOS
5. BOFA
6. AUJ

I think both middle installments had the most interesting things to say.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 5 2015, 3:54am

Post #23 of 25 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

TE's
1. Return of the King
2. Fellowship of the Ring
3. An Unexpected Journey
4. The Two Towers
5. The Desolation of Smaug
6. The Battle of the Five Armies

EE's
1. Fellowship of the Ring
2. Return of the King
3. An Unexpected Journey
4. The Desolation of Smaug (with my fan-edit it would be above AUJ)
5. The Two Towers

I'm actually planning to do some editing on ROTK and BOFA as well so that may alter my rankings. There are just some things I would have done differently, but really, it's because I've gotten addicted to editing stuff! It's so much fun! Lol.

All in all, 6 great movies though.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2015, 1:14am

Post #24 of 25 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I think I flunked this one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love everyone of these moves so much, it's hard to break them down like this. Here's my attempt.

1.) FotR: I love Bag End and the discovery of the characters. To see the Fellowship form and journey together is my favourite part of the books, too.

2.) RotK: It's such an emotional time when all the stories are resolved and the characters come together again. But just hearing the Shire music and the Grey Havens music puts me into tears every time.

3.) AUJ: Again, it's the discovery of the characters and the story; but it's impacted even more because of the long, tremulous journey to get The Hobbit movies made at all. Being in Bag End and seeing Gandalf is like coming home and embracing old friends. Then... there's Riddles in the Dark. Perfection!

4.) DOS: LOVE LOVE LOVE Bilbo and Smaug... and then the Dwarves fighting that Worm for their home is fantastic!

5.) BotFA: The end of an era. Not only for Durin's sons, but the Jackson's storytelling of Middle-earth. Going home with Bilbo and ending in Bag End is incredibly emotional for me.

6.) TT: Even though it's last on the list, I don't love it any less than the others. The buildup to all the reconciliations happens here, and it creates the perfect momentum to complete the journeys of the Fellowship, the Ents, Rohan and Gondor.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2015, 5:14pm

Post #25 of 25 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR - 10/10 - the only one that is near enough perfect to me.
ROTK - 9/10
TTT - 8/10

AUJ - 6/10
BOFA - 4/10
DOS - 3/10

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.