China box office update
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 6:06pm

Post #1 of 32 (2555 views)
Shortcut
China box office update Can't Post

I thought since the last thread has dropped well off the first page it would be worth starting a new one. It appears that fears that the precipitous drop in theater count this weekend due to four new opening films yesterday and one more today were overstated. Yesterday the film made 33 million yuan (2 million more than the original estimate), and the initial estimate for today is 50 million, considerably higher than some thought it would be given the theater drop. That brings the estimated total to 533 million yuan or $85.3 million. It should well exceed $90 million by the end of the weekend.
Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough to accurately predict what this might mean for the final total (although I think it is safe to say that it won't approach the totals necessary to bring $1 billion worldwide into play). But it certainly is doing well.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 6:29pm

Post #2 of 32 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, it appears to have almost disappeared from my local screens, with only 2D left (a remarkably short time given how long, say, the LotR films were shown). I've actually heard people remarking on the short running time in IMAX 3D several times when they were leaving the cinema, especially given that it was replaced by Taken, of all things.

There seems to have been a plethora of what seem to be fairly minor films released during the last couple of weeks (in the UK). Perhaps it is being removed to make way for them?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 6:45pm

Post #3 of 32 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that. So rumours of The Hobbit's demise may be unfounded.... Wink

It's not on anywhere near here now - I'm longing to get hold of the DVD/BluRay

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 7:12pm

Post #4 of 32 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Better than expected [In reply to] Can't Post

Still a steep drop, though. But that's par for the course in China.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 32 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindela (and anyone else interested), [In reply to] Can't Post

yesterday I saw BOTFA in 2D, as that was all that was available. It was my fourth viewing, and I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that I enjoyed it more in 2D than I had in 3D.
I had sort of got into the mindset that if it was available to view with all the bells and whistles I would go for it, especially as this is the last one. But there was something about the 2D I found more immersive. I spotted things in backgrounds that I had never noticed in 3D - it was crisper and clearer somehow, and more real to me. I could 'read' the characters' facial expressions so much more. It felt more like LOTR somehow. And even though 3D glasses don't really bother me, it was such a blessed relief to not be wearing them. Even though they are supposed to immerse us more in the film, I am starting to think they are actually a barrier (for me anyway). I really hope I get another chance to see it in 2D again before it disappears altogether (although I could do without seeing the trailer for that blasted Jupiter Ascending yet again).
I would be really interested to hear the thoughts of others who have seen it in both formats.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 32 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it will top DOS, it definitely deserves it! Smile Is there some estimate how it stands now, or if there is a chance for that?

I guess 1 billion mark is out of the question now...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 7:35pm

Post #7 of 32 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info., Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

On your recommendation, I'll try it in that format, too!Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 32 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Still [In reply to] Can't Post

The results for three films in quick succession, all topping $900 million, are not to be sneezed at.Smile Such results are only dreamed about by all but a few film-makers – especially given the current economic mess that is the Euro zone.

I shouldn't think PJ is worried about it, either, and I'm glad all his hard work and passion (and that of all the other creators) has paid off.

Now we'll wait and see how the DVD sales do. Can't wait to get my hands on the DVDs, especially the EE.Smile

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 8:05pm

Post #9 of 32 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost all others can only dream of numbers like that. Wink I only wish that BOFA scores better than DOS because all of the hate it got (and personally because I think it is better).Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 8:07pm

Post #10 of 32 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with you about DoS, although I really like AUJ, which is second for me after BoFA.Smile

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 8:54pm

Post #11 of 32 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Considerably more tickets will be sold for BotFA than DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if the total box office doesn't exceed it. DoS's final totals were $258,366,855 domestic and $702,000,000 international for a total of $960,366,855. BotFA probably won't exceed (or even match) any of those numbers. At this point the North American total is tracking close to where DoS was at this point, but just a little bit behind, so I am guessing it will finish at around $257 million, give or take. The international total is where it gets complicated, because of the terrible exchange rate. Even though far more tickets were sold in Europe and Russia, the box office totals are much less, so even though China will probably exceed the DoS total by $50 million or more, the total international number will be less than $700 million. BoFA will probably finish somewhere around $950 million, probably a little less.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Kim
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 8:57pm

Post #12 of 32 (1447 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

That it can really vary depending on the theater and format. I saw it for the first 3 times in 3D IMAX HFR, the 4th in regular 2D, and the 5th in 3D HFR. The 3D IMAX HFR was really beautiful and I love the huge screen, but I did notice an extra something this time that wasn't there before, almost like a glare off of the glasses? Although I don't mind the 3D glasses much, I did appreciate not having to wear them in the 2D viewing, but that was mostly so I didn't have to fumble around them with the tissues. On the last viewing, it was in a smaller theater and the screen looked like it had dust on it, so there was kind of a distracting smudge on certain scenes when the camera panned. Plus they had the volume really low, which was kind of weird, especially when I compared it to my first viewing in the marathon. It's kind of amazing how many differences there were in the different theaters, screens and formats.

#OneLastTime

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 10:08pm

Post #13 of 32 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for your reply. That is a shame really. Unsure

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 1 2015, 2:06am

Post #14 of 32 (1370 views)
Shortcut
I prefer it in 2D as wel [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3D seemed almost blurry to me. IMAX is blurry and too dark for me. Yes, 2D is my greatly preferred presentation. It's my eyes actually - they don't work well together.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 3:06am

Post #15 of 32 (1336 views)
Shortcut
I don't like 3D at all.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 12:37pm

Post #16 of 32 (1277 views)
Shortcut
I think it may also depend on the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember watching AUJ in 3D HFR (my preferred format), then trying it in ordinary 3D and it appeared really dark. Once the film left my local cinema, I saw it in 3D in central London and it was really good.

As for BoFA, I saw it in 3D HFR first, but it very quickly disappeared in that format. I then decided to try IMAX 3D, which I've never tried before for any film, and that was fantastic.

I generally don't see films in 3D because I don't particularly like that format, but the Hobbit films work superbly in it, in my view.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 12:46pm

Post #17 of 32 (1262 views)
Shortcut
It most definitely depends on the cinema... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the quality of their equipment (an how well it is set up).

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 4:24pm

Post #18 of 32 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Another good day on Sunday, despite losing even more screens [In reply to] Can't Post

42 million yuan, brining the total to 576 million, or $92.2 million.

The Hall of Fire

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 5:43pm

Post #19 of 32 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Nice! Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just found out that I can catch it in 3D or 2D at the Odeon studios in central London, so that's where I'll go to see it during the week. (The studios are very nice, comfortable and small rooms.)

In Reply To
42 million yuan, brining the total to 576 million, or $92.2 million.

Elentari03
Rivendell

Feb 1 2015, 5:54pm

Post #20 of 32 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Question about BO totals [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume in the future cinemas will hold trilogy marathons (my local draft house has had one annually for LOTR). Also, any of the Hobbit movies may be played, a la LOTR, with live orchestras at (usually expensive) venues. How are the earnings from those showings calculated into box office receipts, or are they?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2015, 6:26pm

Post #21 of 32 (1229 views)
Shortcut
LOTR figures haven't changed since they left theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

So i assume those special screenings aren't counted. Earnings are so low, it doesn't really matter.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 7:22pm

Post #22 of 32 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Worldwide total has risen to $915,878,000 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/...n&id=hobbit3.htm

patrickk
Rohan

Feb 2 2015, 2:15pm

Post #23 of 32 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Think of it this way... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is $1b if the exchange rate was adjusted to what it was last year. Damn the strong US$!!!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 2 2015, 5:31pm

Post #24 of 32 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Variety reports [In reply to] Can't Post

http://variety.com/...orldwide-1201420956/

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 2 2015, 6:31pm

Post #25 of 32 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Another strong day (relatively) [In reply to] Can't Post

Monday: 17.8M/Cume: 595M($95.1M)
At this rate, it should pass $100 million maybe on Wednesday. Though these things tend to change quickly, it seems like a good bet to make to at least $125 million, which would somewhat exceed my prediction of $120 million.

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.