Breakfast
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 42 (696 views)
Shortcut
Breakfast Can't Post

#BreakfastWeek, raising awareness of child hunger, ends today. Looking at all the different breakfasts people tweeted, it got me wondering... what do TORn folks eat for breakfast?

Here's a picture from England (Lloyd Maunder ran a contest) that made me think of Samwise and his favorites - tomatoes, mushrooms, nice ham (instead of bacon)...

What is your favorite breakfast?

Eggs?

Cereal?

Just toast, can't be bothered with breakfast...?

Something regional?

Should your morning coffee mug look like this?

Mine is beef hash (made from leftovers), eggs over easy, rye bread toast and fruit salad. And coffee... must have coffee.

What about you?

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

smtfhw
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 5:23pm

Post #2 of 42 (587 views)
Shortcut
OK - I'm In [In reply to] Can't Post

On days when I go to the office, it's porridge made with skimmed milk with linseeds and some fruit, often blueberries.

On days when I work from home, it's muesli with yogurt, linseeds and stewed apple.

Now and then at weekend, there will be a bacon sandwich.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 5:30pm

Post #3 of 42 (583 views)
Shortcut
My favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

is scrambled eggs or egg whites with really good sausage (turkey sausage an option). Of course, this isn't something you should have every day, so I don't have it often. Runner up is a really good fresh French Toast as a nice treat on vacation.

I usually just have a wheat bagel thin at my desk at work. I have the early shift and my desk isn't always clear when I come in (I start in time to relieve London staff when he goes to lunch), so I don't have time for anything elaborate.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 5:45pm

Post #4 of 42 (584 views)
Shortcut
Eggs Benedict is my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I love hollandaise sauce!

Once a month or so I have breakfast at a little place in town that makes Eggs Benedict with crispy bacon and avocado instead of ham. YUM! As I'm intolerant to American genetically modified wheat, I omit the muffin.

At home, however, I usually start the day with a smoothie of almond or coconut milk, half a banana, frozen berries, and pea protein powder. On rush days I content myself with a piece of gluten-free toast slathered with peanut butter.

I always have a cup of Earl Grey tea. Eledhwen tells me that's an afternoon tea, but for me, it's how I start the day. I think the oil of bergamot has addictive qualities.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 5:55pm

Post #5 of 42 (586 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... homemade blue cheese muffins with parsley and paprika. And a big cup of tea, a breakfast must-have.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 42 (574 views)
Shortcut
Different things [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not much for cooking by myself when I'm sleepy and cranky so on weekdays, I have fruit salad that I prepared the night before and I drink oolong tea with orange juice. If I don't have fruit I'll just eat Honey-nut Cheerios.

On weekends, however, my mom is home for breakfast and she and I like to find all sorts of different breakfast recipes, from sweet to savory, to make alongside our usual eggs and bacon. And I still drink the oolong tea with orange juice because it has just enough caffeine to wake me up.

"Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name.

God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied"

-"Multiplied" by Needtobreathe

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:01pm

Post #7 of 42 (563 views)
Shortcut
How do you make your porridge? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've talked to many different people who call very different things "porridge" and all of them sound really good! I've heard it made with steel-cut oats, quick cooking oats (in the US think Quaker Oats), buckwheat groats, and a mixture of different grains (kind of like this) as well as something in the US called Cream of Wheat (or Rice).

I like the mixed grain cereals the most, followed by steel-cut oats.

I also love muesli. In fact, I just had some this morning!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:05pm

Post #8 of 42 (561 views)
Shortcut
French toast was a treat when we were little [In reply to] Can't Post

Those were the mornings when we were going to be out for a long time playing in the snow. My grandma made the best French Toast.

I've tried the oven versions, using stale bread (sometimes a mixture of whatever is in my cupboard including hotdog buns!) and letting it soak over night with mixed results. The best overnight-soakers were the heavier breads like brioche. Oh man, then it was really good!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:06pm

Post #9 of 42 (562 views)
Shortcut
Those muffins sounds heavenly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love that recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:08pm

Post #10 of 42 (563 views)
Shortcut
Oolong tea and orange juice [In reply to] Can't Post

Silly question, but do you mix them? I've had oolong tea but I'm trying to remember what it was like. My go-to tea is Earl Gray. I like the floral notes.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 8:47pm

Post #11 of 42 (561 views)
Shortcut
And taste even better! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the recipe -- here you go:

You'll need...
300 g of sour cream
3 eggses
200 g of blue cheese
250 g of wheat flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
0,5 tsp of salt
1 tsp of paprika powder
50 g of melted butter
some parsley

Mix all the ingredients together, fill the muffin tray and bake twelve minutes at 200 degrees. Then devour! Laugh

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 9:09pm

Post #12 of 42 (554 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to make those this week!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 9:17pm

Post #13 of 42 (546 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Be sure to let me know how they turn out. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 9:22pm

Post #14 of 42 (549 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it might sound a little strange, I don't have any clue what other people put in their oolong tea other than sugar, but I do mix the orange juice into it.

The brand of oolong tea that I drink comes in glass bottles that hold two one-cup size servings. I use a liquid measuring cup to measure out exactly one cup (sometimes a little less) of orange juice, pour the bottle of oolong into it and then divide the whole thing in half and drink one half for breakfast and one half as a pick-me-up around 4pm or so.

I first started drinking oolong because my doctor said I needed to loose some weight and along with making some diet changes, I heard oolong is supposed to be good for your metabolism. I don't know if the oolong has actually helped or not, but I have been loosing weight since then and my doctor is happy. I mix the orange juice with it because it actually doesn't taste that good by itself. I've even seen some people say that it "smells like death and tastes worse." I never thought it was quite THAT bad, but yeah, I had to do something to make it more palatable and sugar wasn't working.Crazy It took some trial and error, but eventually I found that having orange juice mixed in makes it very refreshing, IMHO.

Anyway, like I mentioned in my first post, oolong has enough caffeine in it to give me a boost so whether or not it helps with my weight, I'm kinda addicted now.Evil

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 9:55pm

Post #15 of 42 (542 views)
Shortcut
back in the 70s a concoction called 'Russian Tea' was popular [In reply to] Can't Post

It was essentially instant tea powder and Tang.

I see that some recipes call for spices (which I don't know if we added or not) and powdered lemonade mix (which we didn't) and (yikes) more sugar (Tang and lemonade mixes have sugar but perhaps some people need the 'tea' portion sweetened, too). lol.

My aunt used to drink hot Tang for sore throats and I've done the same thing (with real orange juice) when I just wanted a hot drink that wasn't tea, coffee, or cocoa.

So mixing oolong and orange juice doesn't sound that far off from Russian Tea (I have no idea where that name came from).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 10:03pm

Post #16 of 42 (538 views)
Shortcut
I love Russian Tea [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year one of my first grade Sunday school kids gave quart-sized Ziploc bags full of homemade Russian Tea powder to me and all the other teachers for Christmas and it was very good. My mom and I have made it too, but you can't really find Tang around here anymore and I can't remember what we used in place of it. I think we did use a bunch of spices though.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 10:10pm

Post #17 of 42 (554 views)
Shortcut
my regular breakfast or what I like best [In reply to] Can't Post

My go to breakfast for abt 360 days a year: toast with peanut butter and some sort of sweetener (jam/jelly, brown sugar, cinnamon sugar) and a glass of milk.

I have cereal if I'm out of bread (English Muffin loaf) and put peanut butter on it. I really need the protein and (I believe) some fat to keep me from getting hypoglycemic.

Favorite breakfasts:

eating in - popovers that are fairly custardy in the middle (and not overly crispy on the outside) with honey and butter. I open up all I'm going to eat and slather the butter and honey on each while their hot so it melts the butter. If you wait, they get too cold to melt the butter and then it's sad.

eating out - Eggs Benedict (or some variation). I don't cook this at home so I love to eat it out. Variations include ham instead of Canadian Bacon and hash browns instead of English Muffins (ham dinger at Curran's Restaurant)... and mushrooms, spinach, artichoke hearts, asparagus and tomatoes instead of meat (Veggie Benedict at The Egg & I).

I will order other things when we eat out for breakfast (which is like 5 times a year) but it's most likely Eggs Benedict.

and as an aside, I had some killer hash browns at a small restaurant called The Prancing Pony when I first moved to this town. They never replicated the quality in repeat visits and it went out of business not long after.

The Mister loves waffles and I have a funny waffle story I've told in the past here

Hot coffee is a given. Hot. I drink it lukewarm and I drink it room temp but I love it hot. Hot or iced. But never iced for breakfast.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 31 2015, 10:11pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 10:15pm

Post #18 of 42 (538 views)
Shortcut
I remember that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Used to make it.

These days my favorite thing when I'm coming down a cold is to heat up a mixture of lemonade & orange juice with ginger grated into it.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 10:18pm

Post #19 of 42 (539 views)
Shortcut
you know what beverage we were reminiscing about just this morning? [In reply to] Can't Post

Postum.

Postum is a powdered roasted-grain beverage coffee substitute (caffeine free). It was created by Postum Cereal Company founder C. W. Post in 1895 and marketed as a healthful alternative to coffee. The Postum Cereal Company became Post Cereal and then became General Foods, which was bought by Kraft Foods.

My husband likes Postum and just finished the last of the jar we had before it was discontinued by Kraft.

Production was resumed by another company but it's like $10 for a jar (we probably paid $3 for it previously).

I grew up in Battle Creek (Cereal City), the home of Post and Kellogg cereal companies and the smell of roasting grains was prevalent through the areas of the city. I also played in the Post Community Band during a few summers. You showed up on Wed for a rehearsal and then Thur in some park for a concert. Grape Nuts is still my favorite cereal.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 10:22pm

Post #20 of 42 (535 views)
Shortcut
I like hot ginger 'tea' [In reply to] Can't Post

Just hot water with some slices of ginger and some sugar. I had a nasty cold mid fall and I was craving hot drinks for my stuffed up head but I got tired of tea. When I ran out of ginger tea in bags, I just got out my knob of ginger root.

I don't like brewing with grated ginger, though, because I don't really like getting the grated ginger in my mouth. So I just slice it really thin and it's easier to keep in the water.

Yogi Ginger Tea is pretty good and is easier to brew. Not that slicing ginger is hard but one has to have it on hand and then do some minimal cutting (or grating).

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 10:24pm

Post #21 of 42 (534 views)
Shortcut
I've seen Postum [In reply to] Can't Post

in catalogs like Vermont Country Store but it's upwards of $17 there. It's too bad. Some of those older brands were really good. I miss Garibaldi Biscuits. My grandma used to have those with her tea. VCS carries them but they are expensive too.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 10:28pm

Post #22 of 42 (533 views)
Shortcut
Popovers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I love popovers! My son has become the resident expert and manages to get them to pop every time. I have a mixed track record, probably because I try to rush them. I love them with plenty of butter and just a touch of cherry butter (It's like apple butter but made with cherries).

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 10:31pm

Post #23 of 42 (531 views)
Shortcut
It does sound good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I will try this too! Smile

Hmmm... this thread is working out nicely. I'm getting all kinds of good ideas!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 10:39pm

Post #24 of 42 (530 views)
Shortcut
That sounds the same as Inka, [In reply to] Can't Post

which was what a lot of 'alternative' people were drinking in the 80's. I never tried it because it had a bad reputation for being quite revolting!
There was also chicory grown here which was mixed with coffee essence and was popular before instant coffee (invented by a New Zealander) became available. There's a bit of history about it here. Incidentally the place in that link is where I got married.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 12:30am

Post #25 of 42 (525 views)
Shortcut
I love cherry everything so that sounds divine [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband has the process down to a science. I think he heats the milk up a little so it's not cold when it's mixed in.

We also make ours in a muffin tin and not popover tins. We just had the muffin tin and used it and it worked. Later, I found a popover tin at the thrift store and bought it but they turn out more crispy and not as custardy and I love the custardy insides.

We do keep that muffin tin for use only with popovers. If we cook anything else in it, the popovers stick. It's a well seasoned pan.

Similar items are: pannekoeken, clafouti, and the savory Yorkshire pudding.

lol... I was just searching with google to see if anyone else was comparing these dishes and guess what I got up:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=621953#621953

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.