Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
will someone please explain the stone statue!

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 2:19pm

Post #1 of 16 (1543 views)
Shortcut
will someone please explain the stone statue! Can't Post

ok, lets get this sorted, what was the stone statue thing when radagast first enters dol guldor.

and then what is that nazgul doing there!

it makes no sense to the rest of the film, does it?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2015, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut
What is it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that you do not understand?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 2:28pm

Post #3 of 16 (982 views)
Shortcut
It's just a statue [In reply to] Can't Post

Like all the others we see dotted around Middle Earth in various states of repair, as a visible reminder of the long cultural history Tolkien gave his world.

The Nazgul is at Dol Guldur because - in the film's story - the Necromancer has called them from their tombs in Rhudaur. So they're hanging around there. Radagast wanders in and is attacked - implication being, I suspect, that this is how anyone who goes there is dealt with, to protect the place and its secrets. Only Radagast, being a wizard, can deal with it and escapes to tell the tale, and so the White Council is alerted to what's happening.

How does this make no sense in the context of the rest of the film? Seems to me it makes perfect sense.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 2:35pm

Post #4 of 16 (984 views)
Shortcut
first [In reply to] Can't Post

why the stone statue moves?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2015, 2:38pm

Post #5 of 16 (951 views)
Shortcut
It's witchcraft! A Dark and Powerful Magic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the Witch King's, in this instance.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 2:39pm

Post #6 of 16 (918 views)
Shortcut
Illusion maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the vines which Thrain thinks are preventing him from leaving. The place is supposed to be thick with magic - spells of concealment and such.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 4:37pm

Post #7 of 16 (834 views)
Shortcut
I agree, dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes perfect sense in the context!Wink

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 5:42pm

Post #8 of 16 (824 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

but i dont think that nazgul looks like any of the nazgul in BOT5A? and its more like a ghost.

i understand that statues exist in middle earth, but this one was dressed like a ringwraithe and its moves, seems possessed, its so unlike any other motif weve seen, i just dont get the thought behind it. i suppose i should be more accepting.

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 31 2015, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 16 (806 views)
Shortcut
Less powerful perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but i dont think that nazgul looks like any of the nazgul in BOT5A? and its more like a ghost.

i understand that statues exist in middle earth, but this one was dressed like a ringwraithe and its moves, seems possessed, its so unlike any other motif weve seen, i just dont get the thought behind it. i suppose i should be more accepting.

The movement may as some has suggested not actually be real and more an illusion to spook anyone nosing around just as the vines keep Thrain trapped although really I don't think its beyond the powers of Sauron to have such a thing actually happen.

As far as the look of the Nazgul goes in AUJ I would say what Jackson was aiming for is that Ragabast is facing a less powerful entity that those we see in BOT5A, either because the Nazgul has only recently been risen by Sauron and are gaining in power or because he's feeding them more power in BOT5A knowing the greater threat his enemies pose.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Jan 31 2015, 6:04pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:54pm

Post #10 of 16 (750 views)
Shortcut
A statue that moves or a statue that screams [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure why we would accept one as an example of dark magic but kit the other.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2015, 11:26pm

Post #11 of 16 (686 views)
Shortcut
nitpicking [In reply to] Can't Post

When Tolkien's magic is vague and strange everyone accepts it. But when PJ invents his own vague and strange magic, suddenly it makes no sense or is considered a plot hole.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 3:27am

Post #12 of 16 (653 views)
Shortcut
Weeping Angel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 1 2015, 3:53am

Post #13 of 16 (662 views)
Shortcut
Ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't blink!

#OneLastTime

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 1 2015, 6:31pm

Post #14 of 16 (583 views)
Shortcut
Really Don't Blink... [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 2 2015, 12:49am

Post #15 of 16 (555 views)
Shortcut
Best of the additions to the series for years, in my view [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't blink!

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Feb 2 2015, 5:42pm

Post #16 of 16 (493 views)
Shortcut
The Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen the movie 83 times now and I am sure that we can and may consider it just a very very long trailer for the Extended Edition
Nothing more.. nothing less..

Be patience and you will see all later this year

All will be explained to you

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.