First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:37am

Post #51 of 59 (685 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 8:31am

Post #52 of 59 (680 views)
Shortcut
My cousin had a fall in the bathroom in November [In reply to] Can't Post

He was unwell, with a high fever, felt dizzy and slipped, hitting his head on the sink. He was in hospital for a few weeks with bleeding on the brain, they have had to operate twice. He has not yet fully recovered.

It is scary to think how a simple slip at home can become so serious.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:53pm

Post #53 of 59 (669 views)
Shortcut
the resistance! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother broke her hip some years ago, and since then she shuffles rather than walks. If she used a cane, she walked more freely, but she didn't like it because it made her "look old." (She was in her late 80s at the time). I told her that when she used the cane, she looked like she didn't need it, and vice versa, but to no avail.

And of course she wouldn't keep up her exercises once the PT stopped visiting. She's finally started using a walker because she's so unsteady on her pins.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:59pm

Post #54 of 59 (668 views)
Shortcut
floaters & flashers [In reply to] Can't Post

that started happening to me a few years ago, and of course I was very worried - my mom's had a detached retina. I went to the ER and the doc there didn't know what it was; he thought it was some kind of migraine variant. So the next day I went to the eye doctor who was all "oh yes, the vitreous is detaching, it happens to everyone sooner or later, it's not a big deal really." Then I found out that yes, it had happened to a lot of my friends in their 50s (and earlier to friends who had bumped their heads). My question was: if this is a normal thing that happens to us all sooner or later, why don't we know about it? Why didn't the frigging ER doc know?

Anyway: definitely get checked out, but you may just be having one of those "normal aging" events. Mine calmed down in a few months; I hardly ever get flashes any more, and I'm so used to the one big floater I rarely "see" it.

https://www.nei.nih.gov/...th/vitreous/vitreous

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2015, 9:51pm

Post #55 of 59 (667 views)
Shortcut
It worked! [In reply to] Can't Post

We only got a light drizzle a time or two. Now it's bucketing down out there, and we badly need it. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2015, 3:25am

Post #56 of 59 (654 views)
Shortcut
:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 12:48am

Post #57 of 59 (656 views)
Shortcut
*zoooommmmm... screeeech!* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! I can't catch up with myself!

But I wanted to say HOWDY to everyone! *waves frantically*

Thanks for taking good care of us Evey!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 11:32pm

Post #58 of 59 (638 views)
Shortcut
I told Uncle Baggins about your friend's daughter [In reply to] Can't Post

and he's been repeating the story to everyone he tells his own story to. So I think he'll be very cautious in the future.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2015, 3:30am

Post #59 of 59 (641 views)
Shortcut
Good to know! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.