Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
That moment when Gandalf tries to clean his pipe...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 30 2015, 6:52pm

Post #1 of 42 (3589 views)
Shortcut
That moment when Gandalf tries to clean his pipe... Can't Post

What did people think of this scene? I will confess that I, among others, was initially annoyed that Gandalf would think of smoking given everything that had just happened, particularly given his own absence from Ravenhill at the time...but having seen it subsequently I realized that it is one of his most tender moments across the course of the six films. I suppose even a wizard as wise as Gandy understands that sometimes words cannot offer comfort, hence he tries to bring a smile to Bilbo's face with his silly antics-it reminds me of his moment with Pippin in RotK: "There never was much hope-just a fool's hope!"

Really curious to know how people felt about this moment...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jan 30 2015, 6:52pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 42 (2590 views)
Shortcut
There is a thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

...About it already: The pipe scene - anyone else's favorite?

You can see some opinions there Smile But since it's dropped off the first page it's OK to start a new one, I think (?).

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jan 30 2015, 7:01pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2015, 7:50pm

Post #3 of 42 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Your considered reaction... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was my first impression. I thought Gandalf sat down next to Bilbo to provide companionship, and did the pipe cleaning really as a soet of subtle/gentle way to get Bilbo's attention, and also sort of say "life goes on". I think it is a great scene, and I love both actors in it.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 8:09pm

Post #4 of 42 (2506 views)
Shortcut
I already stated... [In reply to] Can't Post

in mentioned thread my disgust with this scene, and why I think it is totally inappropriate considering that Thorin has just died on Bilbo's arms. If someone close to me just died and somebody other tried to cheer me up with a stupid joke, I would think that he is out of his mind. I would never expect something like that from someone as wise as Gandalf. Mad

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 42 (2461 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the way Gandalf behaves in this scene is a perfect demonstration of his wisdom.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 30 2015, 8:36pm

Post #6 of 42 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Different people react differently but that doesn't mean it's wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this little exchange between Gandalf and Bilbo. Certainly eased my sorrow just a little bit. Having had 3 loved ones pass during the course of my life, not to mention beloved pets, I definitely would have welcomed Gandalf's silent companionship while carrying on...

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 8:40pm

Post #7 of 42 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Shows no emotion [In reply to] Can't Post

It'd make more sense if he was only trying to cheer up Bilbo, but he traveled with them all as well. He should be sad himself but he comes off as uncaring.

It wasn't really about Bilbo anyway, the scene was to try and cheer up the audience. Especially those who never read The Hobbit, after two movies of invincible Benny Hill action scenes, no one could have though there'd be three deaths rapid fire.

Also, Gandalf's arm should have been broken.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 8:44pm

Post #8 of 42 (2414 views)
Shortcut
Exactly this! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It'd make more sense if he was only trying to cheer up Bilbo, but he traveled with them all as well. He should be sad himself but he comes off as uncaring.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 42 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Occasionally, I feel a pang of sympathy for Jackson. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the porridge isn't too unsubtle, it's not unsubtle enough.

Very much a highlight for me. Rich, human, nuanced, realistic, sad, funny and warm - all without a word needed.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 9:39pm

Post #10 of 42 (2378 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I wonder if I have watched the same scene as other people.
There is such emotional truth in this scene. I think it stands as one of the greatest moments of all six films.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 10:25pm

Post #11 of 42 (2340 views)
Shortcut
It was a perfect scene and totally in character. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pipe smoking is a passion throughout both The Hobbit and The LOTR. After all, it is the small things in life that keep us rooted. What do people do at the end of a long hard day? Some have drink, others a smoke, and others a long walk etc. etc. These influences are directly from JRRT and the habits of the people he knew.

It was a gentle wake up for a stunned Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 30 2015, 10:26pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 10:30pm

Post #12 of 42 (2362 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Gandalf "decided" to have a smoke. [In reply to] Can't Post

The impression I got was that he sat down and his hands automatically went for his pipe because that's what they do. When he realized what he was doing he just went on with it and stayed there with Bilbo and they quietly shared a moment. After everything that had just happened, there were no adequate words, so they just stayed close and understood that they were there for each other. I thought it worked beautifully, and was a welcome less-is-more moment in a trilogy of too-much-is-not-enough moments.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 10:41pm

Post #13 of 42 (2352 views)
Shortcut
PJ's net worth [In reply to] Can't Post

$450 million dollars. I think he'll cope with some people hating all the stuff he chose to make up instead of following the book.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 10:54pm

Post #14 of 42 (2313 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure he will. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what that has to do with the scene in question.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2015, 11:19pm

Post #15 of 42 (2311 views)
Shortcut
no emotion? uncaring? [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene was just showing how emotionally exhausted they both were, and Gandalf naturally went for his pipe but couldn't manage to light it. I don't see how that scene comes across as him not caring...

"Also, Gandalf's arm should have been broken."

Ooooh, so that's why it's a bad scene. How could you, PJ?!?!?Laugh

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2015, 11:21pm

Post #16 of 42 (2304 views)
Shortcut
joke? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who says it was supposed to be a joke? I think Gandalf was just exhausted and was genuinely struggling to light his pipe.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 11:32pm

Post #17 of 42 (2296 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see this at all. I actually thought Gandalf looked very sad, and somewhat at a loss as to what to say to Bilbo to console him, so he just sat there with him in companionship. In my view the scene worked very well indeed, without being over the top.

In Reply To

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 11:32pm

Post #18 of 42 (2308 views)
Shortcut
I have mixed feelings about this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

For a variety of reasons.

It did seem a little callous, considering that Bilbo had just suffered the traumatic, violent death of a friend. It just seemed to soon for levity.

It was also annoying because he kept digging and scratching at it, until I wanted to yell at the screen "Oh shut up already!" GAH!

But it did kind of break up the intensity and horror of what had just happened, and perhaps that was a good thing. (Although, IMO, the emotion of Thorin's death scene had already been destroyed by the untimely intrusion of yet another pointless Tauriel/Kili scene.)

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2015, 12:32am

Post #19 of 42 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Yes, once a thread has moved off the front page, [In reply to] Can't Post

it is OK to start a new thread on the same topic. Our message board software does not "bump" threads back to the top, so starting a new thread keeps the conversation going.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:12am

Post #20 of 42 (2246 views)
Shortcut
This is one of my favourite scenes of all [In reply to] Can't Post

In its simplicity and warmth.

Bilbo has been through so much during this Quest. He was already staggering in shock seeing Fili killed, and he just suffered a serious injury... but Thorin's death broke him, finally, into tears. As the Dwarves gather around their fallen King, Bilbo has gone off and sits alone in shock.

Gandalf, I'm sured, searched for him and saw the state he was in. He approached Bilbo in a way a Hobbit would be the most comfortable with. Quietly, simply sitting with him and ... as he watched Bilbo carefully out of the corner of his eye ... began doing the most mundane and common task that would slowly bring Bilbo back at his own pace, but in clear friendship and concern. It works. Bilbo doesn't respond at first... then registers the sounds... then the task... then the Wizard... and they smile at each other.

If you've ever been tramautized to your soul and are fortunate enough to have someone who understandsyou and guides you softly back ... it helps you find your way without more distress.

This is the one scene I wait for each time I see this film... and it still moves me... and makes me smile with them.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 4:37am

Post #21 of 42 (2263 views)
Shortcut
This was one of my favorite scenes and I felt Gandalf's quiet presence [In reply to] Can't Post

was exactly what Bilbo needed at the moment. I think that when people are grieving, a quiet presence is more often what they need. I'm surprised at the negative reactions and will watch closely next time to see if I can understand it better.

I genuinely would like to know--how do you think Gandalf(and PJ) should have handled that moment?

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 4:55am

Post #22 of 42 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And for me, the scene can be viewed as a very necessary moment for Gandalf, too. He's gone through quite a journey in these films, too!

The character appears very shaken in this scene. Not necessarily from one singular moment--I think he's coping with the fact that the battle (as well as so many of the bad things that happen in the films) took place.

He's jittery, and needs a smoke to settle himself down. Not all grief appears as openly sobbing; Gandalf may very well be in agony on the inside here.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Farficom
Rivendell

Jan 31 2015, 6:53am

Post #23 of 42 (2214 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you. It ranks up there as one of my favorite moments too. [In reply to] Can't Post

No words needed to be spoken here, and yet it was at this moment that I stated to cry. Partially because because it was so wonderfully done, and brought the right amount of levity to a tough situation... but also because it dawned on me that we may never see Middle-earth, or any of these beloved characters in a movie ever again.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 31 2015, 12:05pm

Post #24 of 42 (2170 views)
Shortcut
Without the [In reply to] Can't Post

cleaning of the pipe. If they just sat there in quiet it would be fitting. Or if he wanted to do it like that, place it much after the death and parting scene. This way it is too soon, and everybody in the theatre laughed out loud when he started to clean it. This happened every time I watched it (5 times), which annoyed me very much since it is just after Thorin's death, very inappropriate time to laugh if you ask me.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 12:25pm

Post #25 of 42 (2137 views)
Shortcut
oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

...ever again... *tearing* I love your icon pic. Just what we were talking about :) *sigh*

Thank you :)

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.