The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Too close to the book(s)?

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 3:43pm

Post #1 of 14 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Too close to the book(s)? Can't Post

A post in a thread below about not showing the bats blotting out the sun got me thinking...

Have we seen many (any?) complaints where The Hobbit movies (or even LoTR movies) stuck TOO CLOSE to the book?

I can think of non-book-reading critics griping about Bilbo's house scenes perhaps moving too slow [I disagree] ... anything else?

Has anyone who likes the books ever complained about the movies sticking too close to book events?

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 14 (732 views)
Shortcut
There is one instance I can think of off the top of my head [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the end of RotK, with the longggg good-bye. I remember there were loads of complaints about that.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 5:38pm

Post #3 of 14 (567 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, good one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although some of the complaints may have been with the mechanics of how it was portrayed:

FadeoutIntoLight[okay, it's over]-->FadeoutIntoLight[okay that was it)-->FadeoutIntoLight[another one!]-->FadeoutIntoLight...

It wasn't quite as ambiguous in the books.Laugh

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 14 (547 views)
Shortcut
But most of the "good bye's" weren' very close to the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sailing was, but everything else was much compressed and changed. That said, I mostly liked it, especially the scene in the Green Dragon where we saw, with no words, just how changed our Hobbits were.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 6:22pm

Post #5 of 14 (594 views)
Shortcut
The critics hated the first part of AUJ for this reason [In reply to] Can't Post

...but that was one of my favorite sections of all the movies. The entire Hobbiton section of AUJ was perfect, in my opinion.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 8:11pm

Post #6 of 14 (529 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that most people didn't like Goblin King's song from AUJ EE. I personally liked it very much.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 8:14pm

Post #7 of 14 (486 views)
Shortcut
IMO, the people who complained about the long goodbye weren't adequately invested in the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 8:25pm

Post #8 of 14 (528 views)
Shortcut
I could have done without [In reply to] Can't Post

the singing at Bag End.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 11:25pm

Post #9 of 14 (424 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was very invested in the films [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have to say that RotK did drag in parts – more so than either FotR and TTT.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 11:28pm

Post #10 of 14 (443 views)
Shortcut
I could have done without the burping [In reply to] Can't Post

And also without Gothmog and his OTT facial make-up in RotK.

One can find many nits to pick in all the films. But what I personally like far outweighs what I dislike.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 14 (441 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt like an anachronism, especially with the fist-pump at the end. I appreciated that Jackson tried to throw a bone to the book fans, but it was just too "Disney" for my tastes. The trek through Goblin-town was one of the darker sections of the book, but Jackson made it into a complete cheesefest.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 11:41pm

Post #12 of 14 (446 views)
Shortcut
I liked [In reply to] Can't Post

the melody they came up for that song, and think the Goblin-town suits the movie as AUJ was supposed to be the lightest of all 3.

Imladris18
Lorien

Feb 3 2015, 12:39am

Post #13 of 14 (261 views)
Shortcut
I was referring more specifically to the actual endings, not RotK as a whole. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I don't necessarily agree with your comment either :P

Pandallo
Rivendell

Feb 3 2015, 4:11am

Post #14 of 14 (273 views)
Shortcut
The Trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen some complaints about the Troll scene in AUJ being too close in tone with the book and not meshing well with the darker makeup of the rest of the movies also some felt the Unexpected Party went on a bit too long (heaven forbid we have characters acting a bit free!).

That's pretty much the only complaints of it sticking too close to the source material though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.