grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 22 (4046 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 22 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

January 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [While Gandalf deals with the Balrog in the mountain.]
(not from the appendices)
..."They remained some days in Lothlórien, so far as they could tell or remember.... ...The air was cool and soft, as if it were early spring, yet they felt about them the deep and thoughtful quiet of winter. It seemed to them that they did little but eat and drink and rest, and walk among the trees; and it was enough.
...They had not seen the Lord and Lady again, and they had little speech with any of the Elven-folk; for few of these spoke any but their own silvan tongue. Haldir had... ...gone back again to the fences of the North, where great watch was now kept since the tidings of Moria that the Company had brought. Legolas was away much among the Galadrim, and after the first night he did not sleep with the other companions, though he returned to eat and talk with them. Often he took Gimli with him when he went abroad in the land, and the others wondered at this change."

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 11:46am

Post #2 of 22 (3980 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. [As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
(from the appendices)
..."''Long time I fell... ...Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart... ...it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
...'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk... ...Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel....""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 11:06am

Post #3 of 22 (3978 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

January 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
[As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf continues to pursue the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
..."'Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair... ...it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.""

January 24, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Hobbiton is busy healing the hurts of Saruman.
..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 22 (3960 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf casts the Balrog from the mountain, but passes away afterwards. His body lies on the peak.
(from the appendices)
..."'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world... ...Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightening, they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire.... ...A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell...'"

[Gandalf does not return to "life" for 20 days. This part of the story continues on February 14.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 2:27pm

Post #5 of 22 (3956 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth to Modern World Conversions [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma? If you ever want to see when a date given for Middle-earth (at least in the Third Age) falls on our modern Gregorian calendar, here is a chart I developed. I started by placing Midyear's Day (also Midsummer Day) on June 21, the date that most often coincides with the Summer Solstice. Here is the chart:

Afteryule = December 22 to January 20
Solmath = January 21 to February 19
Rethe = February 20 to March 21*
Astron = March 22* to April 20*
Thrimidge = April 21* to May 20*
Forelithe = May 21* to June 19*
1 Lithe (Midsummer Eve) = June 20*
Midyear's Day = June 21*
Overlithe = June 21 (only on leap years)
2 Lithe = June 22
Winterfilth = September 21 to October 20
Blotmath = October 21 to November 19
Foreyule = November 20 to December 19
1 Yule = December 20
2 Yule = December 21

* Subtract one day from these dates on leap years (for example: TA 2940; 2944; 2952; 3000; 3004; 3016).

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 25 2015, 2:30pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 10:44am

Post #6 of 22 (3944 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

January 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]
..."Now as the companions sat or walked together they spoke of Gandalf, and all that each had known and seen of him came clear before their minds. As they were healed of hurt and weariness of body the grief of the loss grew more keen. Often they heard nearby Elvish voices singing, and knew that they were making songs of lamentation... ...for they caught his name among the sweet sad words that they could not understand.
...Mithrandir, Mithrandir sang the Elves, O Pilgrim Grey! For so they loved to call him. But if Legolas was with the Company, he would not interpret the songs for them, saying that he had not the skill, and that for him the grief was still too near, a matter for tears and not yet for song."

Lament for Gandalf
(featured in Lothlórien)
(Solo by Elizabeth Fraser)

(Sindarin)

In gwidh ristennin
i fae narc hannen
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwannen

Mithrandir, Mithrandir! A Randir Vithren!
U-reniathach i amar galen
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen

(Chorus in Quenya)

Ilfirin nairelma nauva i nauva
Ilfirin nairelma ar ullume nucuvalme
Nauva i nauva melme nóren sina naire lma

(Sindarin text)

'The bonds cut,
the spirit broken
The Flame of Anor has left this World'

Mithrandir, Mithrandir, O Pilgrim Grey!
No more will you wander the world green.
Your journey in darkness stopped.'

(Quenya text)

'Undying [is] our regret, [it] will be what will be [or 'What should be shall be']
Undying [is] our regret and yet we will cast all away,
[It] will be what will be, love for this land [is] our regret.'

Lothlórien
(performed by Elizabeth Frazer)

A Olórin i yaresse… (Olórin who once was…)
Mentaner i Numeherui (Sent by the Lords of the West)
Tírien i Rómenóri… (To guard the Lands of the East…)
Maiaron i Oiosaila, (Wisest of all Maiar,)
Manan elye etevanne (What drove you to leave)
Nórie i malanelye? (That which you loved?)
Ú-reniathach (No more will you wander)
I amar galen (The green fields of this earth)
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen (Your journey has ended in darkness.)
In gwidh ristennin, (the bonds are sundered,)
i fae narchannen (the spirit is broken)
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwennen. (The flame of Anor has left this world.)
Calad veleg, ethuiannen. (A great light, has gone out.)

(Choir text)

Melme nóren sina (Our love for this land)
núra ala (Is deeper that the deeps)
Eäro. (of the sea)
Ilfirin nairelma (Our regret is undying)
ullume nucuvalme. (Yet we will cast all away, rather than submit)
Nauva i nauva... (What should be shall be.)

[Credit for these lyrics and notes goes to TheOneRing.net; Language in The Lord of the Rings Movie by Galadhorn – elvish.org which is linked through TheOneRing.net; an article in Music from the Movies, number 42; Warner Brothers sheet music; Lord of the Rings Soundtrack inserts; and various sites I've visited over the past 5 years but cannot remember their names! Anything music-oriented that you could possibly be curious about can be found at Magpie's Nest.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 10:51am

Post #7 of 22 (3946 views)
Shortcut
Wow! This is wonderful :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll go in and look at my Gregorian Calendar comparisons :D I'll add these to the existing calendar... and seriously consider adjusting my calendar... but I'll admit I'm not real anxious to do that ;) I find great comfort relating to the events with my everyday. I've always wanted to have a clear calendar/date Shire Reckoning, so I'm SO EXCITED to have this!

*high five* Thank you! I'll let you know what this number-challenged fuzzy ol' head braves to do! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 26 2015, 2:55pm

Post #8 of 22 (3944 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never expected that you would use the conversion chart on a regular basis, but I thouight it might be useful for special occasions. I developed it while trying to determine an accurate date for when Durin's Day should have fallen in The Hobbit. It also proved useful for determining the date of the dwarves' New Year on our modern calendar (along with using a calendar of lunar phases). My best guess is that it would fall the day following the last new moon before the start of Blotmath (the hobbits' November), between our September 23 and October 20.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 26 2015, 3:02pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 10:20am

Post #9 of 22 (3932 views)
Shortcut
You know what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I will ABSOLUTELY use it for those huge event days... like Durin's Day and Mid-summer's Day. They've always been a curiosity for me. I've never been content with others' "definitive" answers, but I trust your determinations explicitly!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 10:25am

Post #10 of 22 (3941 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler for our very own Quickbeam... Happy Birthday, Oh Hasty One... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Two Towers

..."'Hm, hoom, here I am again,' said Treebeard. 'Are you getting weary, or feeling impatient, hmm, eh? Well, I am afraid that you must not get impatient yet. We have finished the first stage now… ...I have brought you a companion. He has an ent-house nearby. Bregalad is his Elvish name. He says he has already made up his mind and does not need to remain at the Moot. Hm, hm, he is the nearest thing among us to a hasty Ent. You ought to get on together...' ...Treebeard turned and left them.
...Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and legs; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. He could bend and sway like a slender tree in the wind. At last he spoke, and his voice though resonant was higher and clearer than Treebeard's.
...'Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!' he said. 'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname... ...They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!'
...He reached down two shapely arms and gave a long-fingered hand to each of the hobbits. All that day they walked about in the woods with him, singing, and laughing; for Quickbeam often laughed. He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring... ...he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27 2015, 2:57pm

Post #11 of 22 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Aw, many happy returns of the day, Quickbeam! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 3:41pm

Post #12 of 22 (3935 views)
Shortcut
Okay, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I will ABSOLUTELY use it for those huge event days... like Durin's Day and Mid-summer's Day. They've always been a curiosity for me. I've never been content with others' "definitive" answers, but I trust your determinations explicitly!

I would still advise taking some of my estimates with a grain of salt. I went through a lot of trial and error before I compiled that conversion table. I first tried using December 21 for the Winter Solstice before I realized that that would throw off also using June 21 for the Summer Solstice, which I felt was vital in accordance with Tolkien's notes in Appendix D. I actually took last year's The Hobbit 2014 calendar and converted the dates by hand along with this Moon Phases Calendar to get the correct dates.

Taking into account variations in times regarding moonrises and such, the Dwarven New Year could fall anywhere between September 21 and October 20 on our Gregorian calendar, with the first sliver of the last waxing moon of Autumn (before the start of Blotmath on our October 21), The moon phases of our year 2017 bear this out. That would equate to any day in the month of Winterfilth in Middle-earth (although I would think that it would be exceptionally rare for the dwarves' New Year to fall on 1 Winterfilth; if we take into account the idea that the lunar cycle would have been slightly shorter 6000 years ago then it might be impossible).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 27 2015, 3:48pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 5:26pm

Post #13 of 22 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven New Year in the Common Era [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves' New Year would fall in the range of September 21 to October 20 on our modern Gregorian Calendar. Check moonrise/moonset and sunrises/sunset times to determine if a year includes a Durin's Day.

2015: October 14
2016: October 2
2017: September 21
2018: October 10
2019: September 29
2020: October 17
2021: October 7
2022: September 27
2023: October 16
2024: October 4
2025: September 23

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 27 2015, 5:28pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 10:30am

Post #14 of 22 (3914 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 465-465 FotR: Lord of the Rings]
..."It was Frodo who first put something of his sorrow into halting words. He was seldom moved to make song or rhyme; even in Rivendell he had listened and had not sung himself, though his memory was stored with many things that others had made before him. But now as he sat beside the fountain in Lórien and heard about him the voices of the Elves, his thought took shape in a song that seemed fair to him; yet when he tried to repeat it to Sam only snatches remained, faded as a handful of withered leaves.

When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to Western shore,
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
and Fire and Shadow both defied;
is staff was broken on the stone,
in Khazad-dûm his wisdom died.

...'Why, you'll be beating Mr. Bilbo next!' said Sam.
...'No, I am afraid not,' said Frodo. 'But that is the best I can do yet.'
...'Well, Mr. Frodo, if you do have another go, I hope you'll say a word about his fireworks,' said Sam. 'Something like this:

The finest rockets ever seen:
they burst in stars of blue and green,
or after thunder golden showers
came falling like a rain of flowers.

Though that doesn't do them justice by a long road.'
...'No, I'll leave that to you, Sam. Or perhaps to Bilbo. But—well, I can't talk of it any more. I can't bear to think of bringing the news to him.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 10:37am

Post #15 of 22 (3924 views)
Shortcut
*stagger, swoon* I'm so impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously! I love puzzles, and you've really scoured through these dates and broken them down to their bones! I'll admit, I'm going to have to study this step-by-step because I really want to embrace this (finally) and understand how it all works. Even with your warning ;) I believe this is as accurate as we can hope for... including the adjustments you've mentioned elsewhere. *takes serious notes*

And THANK YOU for the yearly breakdown! *bows deeply* I've got some work to do on my Calendar!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 28 2015, 10:39am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 1:38pm

Post #16 of 22 (3914 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did discover one more significant point that I missed in my conversions. Tolkien himself, in LotR Apendix D, equates our New Year's Day ("more or less") with January 9 on the Shire calendar. That throws my conversions off by two days; although it does not effect the dates for the Dwarven New Year in modern times.

I was tempted to ignor the issue because it is in conflict with Tolkien's other statement that the hobbit's Mid-year's Day was as close as possible to the summer solstice. However, we can resolve this by assuming that the short-comings of the Shire Reckoning have amounted to a difference of two days over time. I will just have to suck it up and revise my table. Also, Tolkien noted that leap years do not occur in the year at the end of a century. He discussed a millenial deficit in the Numenorian calendar (called King's Reckoning) caused by the deduction of one day from the last year of a century.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 22 (3933 views)
Shortcut
Slight Adjustment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The dwarves' New Year would fall in the range of September 21 to October 20 on our modern Gregorian Calendar. Check moonrise/moonset and sunrises/sunset times to determine if a year includes a Durin's Day.

Due to issues discussed elsewhere, change the range from September 19 to October 18. I was a couple of days off.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 10:52am

Post #18 of 22 (3906 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of a merry gathering... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Road to Isengard

..."...in the light of a fair morning King Théoden and Gandalf the White Rider met again upon the green grass beside the Deeping Stream... ...also Aragorn son of Arathorn, and Legolas and Elf, and Erkenbrand of Westfold, and the lords of the Golden House. About them were gathered the Rohirrim, the Riders of the Mark....
... ...Suddenly there was a great shout, and down from the Dike came those who had been driven back into the Deep. There came Gamling the Old, and Éomer son of Éomund, and beside them walked Gimli the dwarf. He had no helm, and about his head was a linen band stained with blood; but his voice was loud and strong.
... 'Forty-two, Master Legolas!' he cried. 'Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?'
... 'You have passed my score by one... ...But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!'
... 'Welcome, Éomer, sister-son!' said Théoden. 'Now that I see you safe, I am glad indeed.'
... 'Hail, Lord of the Mark!' said Éomer. 'The dark night has passed, and day has come again. But the day has brought strange tidings.' He turned and gazed in wonder... ...at Gandalf. 'Once more you come in the hour of need, unlooked-for,' he said.
... 'Unlooked-for?' said Gandalf. 'I said that I would return and meet you here.'
... 'But you did not name the hour, nor foretell the manner of your coming. Strange help you bring. You are mighty in wizardry, Gandalf the White!'
... 'That may be. But if so, I have not shown it yet. I have but given good counsel in peril, and made use of the speed of Shadowfax. Your own valour has done more, and the stout legs of the Westfoldmen marching through the night.'
... Then they all gazed at Gandalf with still greater wonder."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 5:25pm

Post #19 of 22 (3899 views)
Shortcut
*scribbles notes* CHECK! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so cool!!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 5:29pm

Post #20 of 22 (3901 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

As you can see, I decided to ignore the desrepency regarding New Year's Day. I think that Professor Tolkien simply had not worked out his conversion in complete detail and just muffed his estimate.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 11:43am

Post #21 of 22 (3898 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler of a scene used in Jackson's movie, An Unexpected Journey... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Over Hill and Under Hill: The Hobbit

""Who are these miserable persons?" said the Great Goblin.
'Dwarves…" …said one of the drivers…. "…We found them sheltering in our Front Porch."
"What do you mean by it?" said the Great Goblin turning to Thorin. "Up to no good, I'll warrant! Spying on the private business of my people… …Thieves, I shouldn't be surprised to learn! Murderers and friends of Elves, not unlikely! Come! What have you got to say?"
"Thorin the dwarf at your service!" he replied—it was merely a polite nothing. "Of the things which you suspect and imagine we had no idea at all. We sheltered from a storm in what seemed a convenient cave and unused; nothing was further from our thoughts than inconveniencing goblins in any way whatever…."
"…Um!" said the Great Goblin. "So you say! Might I ask what you were doing up in the mountains at all, and where you were coming from, and where you were going to? In fact I should like to know all about you. Not that it will do you much good, Thorin Oakenshield, I know too much about your folk already; but let's have the truth, or I will prepare something particularly uncomfortable for you!"
"We were on a journey to visit our relatives, our nephews and nieces, and first, second, and third cousins, and the other descendants of our grandfathers, who live on the East side of these truly hospitable mountains," said Thorin…
"…He is a liar, O truly tremendous one!" said one of the drivers. "Several of our people were struck by lightning in the cave, when we invited these creatures to come below; and they are as dead as stones. Also he has not explained this!" He held out the sword which Thorin had worn, the sword which came from the Trolls' lair.
The Great Goblin gave a truly awful howl of rage when he looked at it, and all his soldiers… …clashed their shields, and stamped. They knew the sword at once. It had killed hundreds of goblins in its time, when the fair elves of Gondolin hunted them in the hills or did battle before their walls. They had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter. They hated it and hated worse any one that carried it.
"Murderers and elf-friends!" the Great Goblin shouted. "Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! …Take them away to dark holes full of snakes, and never let them see the light again!" He was in such a rage that he jumped off his seat and himself rushed at Thorin with his mouth open. Just at that moment all the lights in the cavern went out, and the great fire went off poof! into a tower of blue glowing smoke, right up the roof, that scattered piercing white sparks all among the goblins."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 2:42pm

Post #22 of 22 (3908 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one thing about the Great Goblin of TH:AUJ. It is one thing for him to know Thorin Oakenshield's name. But it is quite another for him to recognize Thorin on sight (unless he was guessing).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.