It's the still-Tuesday Reading Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 6:18pm

Post #26 of 53 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Hi Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so ice to see you around here. Good luck with your audio books. I'm sure people around here will have plenty of good recommendations, should you need any.
Keep resting up. x

Ginger
Rohan

Jan 28 2015, 6:34pm

Post #27 of 53 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Nice that you could pop in [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad you are doing well and that you can come here for at least short periods of time. I was a few days late reading the last reading thread. I wanted to wish you well with your surgeries. My husband had eye surgeries in December, not nearly as serious as yours (he could drive after a day). His eyesight is much improved, to the point where I wonder if he should have been driving before it.

I find I cannot concentrate on audio books. I like having the book itself in my hands.

I wish you well with your recovery and next surgery.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 6:47pm

Post #28 of 53 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Hi Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry it was traumatic for you, but glad to hear you're on the mend! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

#OneLastTime

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 7:03pm

Post #29 of 53 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Many years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I started listening to a version of LotR (I couldn't tell you which one) and I got so impatient I put the audio away and just picked up the books for yet another reading! I keep thinking I should invest in an unabridged version to keep around, just in case.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's good wishes. The doctor doesn't start the follow-up procedures until next week, so I'll say again, so far so good. Cool

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 7:05pm

Post #30 of 53 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Henry Tilney is mine [In reply to] Can't Post

(but I also hated him when I was a youngster. I'm realizing I was pretty violent in my reactions to my reading in the old days! Tongue)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Theodora
The Shire

Jan 28 2015, 7:27pm

Post #31 of 53 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Augustus by John Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished a book by John Williams called Augustus. Williams uses (fictional) letters written by people around Augustus, the emperor who succeeded Julius Caesar, to describe the man and his life and it is truly a beautiful book. His motives, his ambitions, the politics and intrigues in ancient Rome and how they affect Augustus, his daughter, his friends and enemies, almost become visible in this book. I finished reading it in a day, I couldn’t put it down.
Williams also wrote Stoner, which is equally beautiful.
Next on my list is Butcher’s Crossing. It is set in a completely different time and place and hopefully it is as good.
John Williams is an American author and his books Stoner, Augustus and Butcher’s Crossing are very popular in my country. Williams was discovered by a publisher who bought the rights to the books and decided to publish them without knowing beforehand if the books would sell a lot of copies. But they sold extremely well. This made me wonder if the books were as popular in America.
Does anyone know?

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 7:51pm

Post #32 of 53 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Glad it has gone well so far! [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers -

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 7:54pm

Post #33 of 53 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I wish I could forget about his illness when reading [In reply to] Can't Post

I do find myself analyzing things and thinking "did I miss something, or is he a bit off there?" And since Pratchett is so clever (and subtle at times) there are plenty of occasions for this (which I'm sure are 100% explained by "Notta is just not clever enough!")

But overall, yes, the book is great and so apparently/hopefully is the author.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 7:58pm

Post #34 of 53 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Was the movie any good? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised to find it had been made into a film, which I had gotten curious about as I rounded the final curve in reading the book. I viewed the trailer online, and it kind of put me off. The cinematography was pure technicolor when the story is essentially a rain-soaked grey, the announcer's tone was upbeat like the film was a Western starring a cutely heroic pioneer family, and the casting of Paul Newman and Henry Fonda as Hank and Henry Stampler really puzzled me. So I guessed somehow the book had sold well enough that it was perceived by Hollywood as a star vehicle, but they had decided that the material itself was way too dark to film it as it was written. I think they even added a subtitle, "Never Give An Inch!" and promoted the film with it, playing down the more enigmatic main title.

But... as I said... my speculations on the trailer aside, did you like the movie? I'd love to know. I'd consider trying to find it, if it's on DVD, if word of mouth is good.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 11:38pm

Post #35 of 53 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you could pop in.

Audio books take some getting used to, but I've adapted while driving. I do miss bits when my mind wanders; when I'm reading in print I can go back and re-read.

Crossing fingers and toes for a complete recovery for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 11:50pm

Post #36 of 53 (1441 views)
Shortcut
Hope your recovery is speedy and comfortable! [In reply to] Can't Post

I adore audiobooks, but it totally depends on the quality of the narrator. A bad narrator can ruin a good book, and a terrific narrator can rescue a "so-so" book.

The Rob Inglis-narrated LOTR is excellent. Smile

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 11:53pm

Post #37 of 53 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Mine, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Popularly, I would guess Mr. Darcy is the favorite, but I have a feeling that Colin Firth has a *little* bit to do with that.

(For the record, Mr. Darcy isn't even my second favorite. That would be Colonel Brandon. And not entirely because of Alan Rickman. Laugh)

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 12:24am

Post #38 of 53 (1449 views)
Shortcut
'Grumpy old man' [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny you say that, because, for whatever reason, I can't get Lee Pace out of my head as Mr. Knightley. Something about him, I guess. Clearly we have different images running through our minds! Laugh

Of course, I'm sure you wouldn't bat an eye at the idea of LP in that role. Wink

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 29 2015, 12:24am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 12:56am

Post #39 of 53 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Probably as a teen [In reply to] Can't Post

I would still have thought of Mr. Knightley as a grumpy old man even if I had pictured Lee Pace as he is now (practically middle-aged!!)...but you know, age brings such wisdom that we can see the folly of our youthful impressions. I really would have no objections whatsoever to him playing that role these days. Richard Armitage--even better. WinkCool

In Reply To
Funny you say that, because, for whatever reason, I can't get Lee Pace out of my head as Mr. Knightley. Something about him, I guess. Clearly we have different images running through our minds! Laugh

Of course, I'm sure you wouldn't bat an eye at the idea of LP in that role. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 1:01am

Post #40 of 53 (1436 views)
Shortcut
When he walks in to Marianne playing...that look. *Oh* my. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(For the record, Mr. Darcy isn't even my second favorite. That would be Colonel Brandon. And not entirely because of Alan Rickman. Laugh)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2015, 4:52am

Post #41 of 53 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Lovely to see you, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very glad to hear you're in the recovery phase of round one.

Audio books are a good compromise for the moment!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 12:25pm

Post #42 of 53 (1428 views)
Shortcut
extra reading! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lily, glad you "reported in"! Heart

I consider audio books to be "extra reading" I can cram in when reading a text is just not possible, such as commutes to and from office, etc. There are good and not so good readers, but once I relax into the story, it's a good option. Hope you find it so, as well.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 5:27pm

Post #43 of 53 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow... it's gotta be so scary! It'll be so worth it, though... because you WILL HAVE A COMPLETE HEALING!!

*massive hug*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 7:07pm

Post #44 of 53 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I never liked Mr. Darcy that much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he's shy and all, but honestly, he's so rude to Lizzie at the first ball. I still loved the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, though.

Col. Brandon is pretty sweet, though it bothers me that he seems to fall in love with Marianne solely because she looks like his lost love, at least at first. Oh, well. Alan Rickman was lovely in that role.

I don't really care for any other other Austen heroes that much. But Mr. Knightley (dang, I spelled his name wrong before) is wonderfully snarky and intelligent and funny. In fact, he reminds me a bit of book-Aragorn.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Annael
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 10:31pm

Post #45 of 53 (1426 views)
Shortcut
I still laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

when I recall that time several of us ladies were gushing about Mr. Darcy, and someone's husband finally had enough and said "but the book never mentions his terrible dental problem."

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 1:14am

Post #46 of 53 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Errol Flynn had bad breath :-D

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 4:20am

Post #47 of 53 (1405 views)
Shortcut
So happy everything went well! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like the worst kind of neglectful person, because I missed your post last week where you announced your surgery. Frown But I am so glad to hear that it went like clockwork. Smile

Enjoy those audiobooks (as best you can Tongue) and fear not - you'll be back to turning those pages before you know it! Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 4:29am

Post #48 of 53 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Falling Sky [In reply to] Can't Post

first novel by Rajan Khanna. Post zombie-apocalypse adventure story with dark and gritty protagonists who fly blimps and scavenge the dead remains of civilization for food. You can tell they're dark and gritty cuz they use the f-bomb a lot. Meh.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 9:37am

Post #49 of 53 (1399 views)
Shortcut
You are braver than I am! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't even stand the little air puff test they do in routine eye exams. Glad to hear that recovery is going well. Take care!

BTW, I love just about anything by Bill Bryson. Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 10:33pm

Post #50 of 53 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Well, it was a long time ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, although I don't really remember much about it, but not having read the book I can't compare it, and often that changes things. The thing that stuck in my head (apart from the tragedy which would probably be a spoiler if I named it) was that the wife had no idea how to properly hang clothes on a clothesline!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.