The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Our deepest condolences to Royd and the rest of the Tolkien Family

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 29 2015, 10:21pm

Post #1 of 19 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Our deepest condolences to Royd and the rest of the Tolkien Family Can't Post

We've just heard the sad news of the passing of Royd's brother Mike who has been battling ALS (Motor Neurone Disease).

Royd posted this moving tribute to his brother on his Facebook page.

On Wednesday morning, my loving, handsome, devoted brother, Mike, peacefully passed away.
From the moment he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease/ALS he faced it head on, clenched his fists and battled. He took my breath away every single day with his strength and courage.
For 4 years I've been strong while silently weeping, now I've lost the comfortable feeling that he'll be around forever and I'm heartbroken.
Every part of me, everything around me, anything I ever did and will ever do is connected to him and I desperately miss him. I've lost my friend and my reason and I will never be whole again.
I was privileged to have the honour of being his brother.
From everyone here at theonering.net, our love, prayers and best wishes are with you.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 30 2015, 4:00am)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 3:56am

Post #2 of 19 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

May I add my condolences to the Tolkien family on their loss.

#OneLastTime

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 4:14am

Post #3 of 19 (1178 views)
Shortcut
So very sad. :( [In reply to] Can't Post

If by chance there are any members of the family reading this, you all have my condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. Unsure

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2015, 4:57am

Post #4 of 19 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news indeed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Farficom
Rivendell

Jan 30 2015, 6:50am

Post #5 of 19 (1167 views)
Shortcut
My condolences to the entire Tolkien family. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always tough when you lose someone, but perhaps doubly so when it is a family remember. May he rest in peace... and bask in the love of his loved ones on the other side.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 10:23am

Post #6 of 19 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Such sad news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll add my condolences to his family and friends.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 19 (1138 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so unhappy...I will pray for his soul!

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 1:53pm

Post #8 of 19 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Peace to him and condolences to the family... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and what a beautiful tribute that is from a brother.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 1:55pm

Post #9 of 19 (1139 views)
Shortcut
So sorry to hear about Mike [In reply to] Can't Post

My sincere sympathy goes out to the Tolkien family. May they receive comfort.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 19 (1157 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. Michael George Tolkien (1943-2015) [In reply to] Can't Post

Our own condolences also go out to Michael Tolkien's family, friends and colleagues.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2015, 4:48pm

Post #11 of 19 (1135 views)
Shortcut
So very, very sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was several months ago that I first heard that Mike had ALS, and it grieved me that any descendant of Tolkien would be stricken by this terrible disease. He's been often in my thoughts.

My condolences, prayers, and gentle "hugs" to all his family and friends, and especially Royd - it is a difficult time, when someone you love must sail West!

Can anyone confirm, if this is him sitting next to Royd, starting at the 0:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlRbrB_Gnc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 5:22pm

Post #12 of 19 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Oh no.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been so moved by the devotion between these extraordinary brothers. I pray for Peace for them now.

I'm so sorry....

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observations List draft #4

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Me85
Rivendell

Jan 30 2015, 5:36pm

Post #13 of 19 (1121 views)
Shortcut
so sad [In reply to] Can't Post

RIP Mike.
For anyone who hasn't seen the ALS ice bucket challange of Royd and Mike..the ending is so cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-t1djx8T8

Me85
Rivendell

Jan 30 2015, 5:39pm

Post #14 of 19 (1128 views)
Shortcut
i dont think the year is correct [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Mike younger than Royd and he's about 40 I think.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 5:43pm

Post #15 of 19 (1127 views)
Shortcut
oh dear - [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael George is the son of JRR's second son, Michael Hilary Tolkien. I'm glad to say that Michael George is still with us.

Royd's beloved brother was born in 1975.

My heart goes out to his family.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 5:59pm

Post #16 of 19 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Correction! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
R.I.P. Michael George Tolkien (1943-2015).

Michael Tolkien, born 1975. My apologies for the mistake.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 7:17pm

Post #17 of 19 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sad to hear this news. I remember when Royd did the Ice Bucket challenge, how he did all these extra silly things like wearing a dress and eating chilli peppers because Mike had asked him to and he knew it would make him happy. You could feel the love between them in that video. I'm so sorry Mike has passed away, but I'm comforted that he isn't suffering anymore. I pray for peace and healing for Royd and his family. Mike will be missed.Frown

"Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name.

God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied"

-"Multiplied" by Needtobreathe

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 12:37am

Post #18 of 19 (1058 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 4 2015, 5:59pm

Post #19 of 19 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Condolences, and wishing peace to the entire family. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.