The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien's Tree!

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 6:21pm

Post #1 of 8 (667 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Tree! Can't Post

Hi all! I've just heard some terrible news -- Tolkien's favourite tree has been cut down because its branches are blocking the telephone poles. I know Tolkien would be crying...=( This is so sad. Frown

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 8 (586 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that's quite right - the reason given, anyway.

The tree is (or was) a black pine in the Botanic Garden in Oxford and it was announced last summer that it would have to be cut down because it was breaking up. Large branches were falling which could have injured someone. The Botanic Garden didn't want to do it - they're about preserving plants, after all - but they had to. They said they were going to propgate from it. It is very sad and I'm sure Tolkien would have felt it too, but it was something that couldn't be helped. Trees do die.

I don't know if this will work for you, it's the news as it was announced on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/...oxfordshire-28582199

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 8:01pm

Post #3 of 8 (560 views)
Shortcut
Everything is on youtube these days - [In reply to] Can't Post

- there's a video of the Black Pine's demise here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB24n_Wy5ag

It's odd how these Chinese whispers get around - I hadn't heard before now of the notion that the tree had been cut down because of telephone lines.

It's sad that the pine has gone; it was planted in 1800 and it was a fine old tree. Me and my family visited the gardens only a couple of weeks before the event; I had been walking round it holding our grandson's hand, and telling him how it was the favourite of the man who'd written The Hobbit (we've been reading the graphic novel together - he doesn't think much of the trolls' bad language).

How do we know it was Tolkien's favourite tree? That's known, at least. Priscilla Tolkien said so, in a note which was sold as part of a lot at Bonham's some years ago - I saw these, and others, on one of the viewing days.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16199/lot/61/

ooh, there's a mistake there (apart from the fact that the photo can no longer be seen) - the blurb says that Michael is Priscilla's son; in fact, he's Priscilla's nephew, being the son of JRR's second son, also called Michael.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 29 2015, 8:06pm)

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 2:45am

Post #4 of 8 (539 views)
Shortcut
The black pine and the White Tree [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sad but its wonderful to think of it being propogated. It makes me think of when Gandalf took Aragorn to Mount Mindolluin and they found the sapling that was a descended from the White Tree which Isildur(or was it Elendil?) planted from the fruit of the tree in Numenor that was grown from the fruit of Telperion, Eldest of Trees.

I hope they make lots of little Tolkien trees from the one JRRT loved so much. I bet that would make him smile!

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 1:44pm

Post #5 of 8 (513 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I only just realised that what you said is all too true...it comforts me definitely! Yes, that will make Tolkien happy if that's what happens.

It also reminds me of the Tree made out of the apple Digory picked to save his mother; it fell down in a storm and he made it into the wardrobe. Also of The Return of the King, the finding of the last sapling!

I think it was Isildur. Positive!

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 11:39am

Post #6 of 8 (486 views)
Shortcut
we've got one or two pine-cones from that tree - // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 31 2015, 1:22pm

Post #7 of 8 (473 views)
Shortcut
The Iliad... [In reply to] Can't Post

I also found that The Iliad, however intriguing most of it was, has some terribly bloody battle scenes. =(

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 31 2015, 1:22pm

Post #8 of 8 (496 views)
Shortcut
Lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm envious now!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.