swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 6:06pm

Post #1 of 4 (285 views)
Shortcut
duck tape Can't Post

Unsure

Walked along the Susquehanna river yesterday and found this:

...a male mallard with a piece of duct tape stuck to his head. A lady in the parking lot had already tried to lure him close with bread and pull it off, to no avail. We tried, to no avail. The DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) had been there. The folks across the road at the outfitter's shop (Shank's Mare, kayaking, backpacking etc.) were told. When I came back from my hike, someone else, who had been there earlier, was still trying to catch the duck. We tried, tossing bits of ice (which got his attention, "Foood?") and doggie kibble, lying in wait with towels and blankets...

nope. He got on the nope train and flew north at warp 11.

His right eye is clear, he can fly, swim, eat, and hang out with his buddies. Hopefully, it will soak up and come off (maybe a buddy will help) or someone can catch him. It's sort of flappy, and he keeps trying to dislodge it.

I suspect he stuck his head somewhere with this bit of loose trash, which then stuck to him, I doubt anyone would have got close enough to actually stick it on him.

Just one more example of how the smallest bit of trash can have big consequences.

I've worked with wildlife rehabbers, and gone on actual wild goose chases (the geese in question could not fly, but did in fact outrun/outmaneuver a Coast Guard Auxilary boat). A goose tangled in fishing line, I ran into some shrubbery and caught, untangled and let loose. The duck with the fishing hook I chased in a kayak to the rehabber with a net. A horseshoe crab which had a fishook stuck in its mouth could not be helped. The deer, being illegally kept in a dog kennel (with two dogs) was stuffed in a kennel carrier by the game officer, loaded in our van and transported to a game preseve (the carrier would occasionally explode with rattling and bouncing, we looked at each other and said something like, "If that thing gets loose, we are screeching to a halt and diving out the doors.." a deer armed with four sets of sharp knives (hooves) would make the inside of a van rather like a blender....

I picked up several injured hawks and owls (easy, if they can't fly, you just throw a towel or blanket over them, and control the legs).

Sadly, nobody can help our duck until he doesn't fly.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 4 (223 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear. Poor thing. :-( // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

nandorin elf
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 5:24am

Post #3 of 4 (204 views)
Shortcut
Poor little guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to see animals suffer for the stupid things people do, like not taking a few minutes to take care of their trash.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 9:30am

Post #4 of 4 (205 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Bless his little heart! // [In reply to] Can't Post

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.