What happens to the Goblins anyways?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 3:43pm

Post #1 of 29 (1482 views)
Shortcut
What happens to the Goblins anyways? Can't Post

Any theories? In AUJ there are literally hundreds of them right behind the company after they crash land on the bridge, and then they just sort of disappear. Did they give up pursuit?

Merovech
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 29 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Sunlight [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't stand the sunlight, so they give up.

This of course is retconned in BoFA.

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 29 (1068 views)
Shortcut
I guess that's why I asked [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I thought BOTFA established that sunlight was not a problem.

Secondly, they are clearly on the brink of nightfall. So the Goblins could pick up the pursuit pretty quickly. I guess you could say they were running for a couple hours before Azog showed up, but it really doesn't feel this way in the film.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 29 (1059 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

the bats in the BOTFA did the same thing as in the book, which is covered the sun enough for any of the baddies.

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 4:53pm

Post #5 of 29 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that could be the intention [In reply to] Can't Post

But it clearly doesn't happen on screen in any tangible way.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 29 (1023 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I just went with what I knew about the events.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 29 2015, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 29 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Coffee Break. n/m [In reply to] Can't Post

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 5:04pm

Post #8 of 29 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Azog's arrival spooked them off?

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 5:05pm

Post #9 of 29 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I think if Jackson had gone for a more stormy look [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the entirety of the actual day of the battle was pretty challenging to capture, so Jackson went with one type of lighting and feel for the entire event. This was a sort of perma-dawn look to everything, from the very beginning of the day right through to the end. I often wonder what it might have been like if the battle was fought under a more dark and stormy canopy; this wouldn't logisticallyhave to be bats alone, but also just a darker sky. If you've ever seen a winter storm with lightning it can be pretty epic.

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 5:06pm

Post #10 of 29 (989 views)
Shortcut
heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 5:08pm

Post #11 of 29 (1003 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that's as plausible.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..given that they are clearly in cahoots with Azog. Isn't he there because the Goblin sent him word?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 29 (987 views)
Shortcut
Sure, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there's room for only so many at a banquet and it's the stronger who get the best seats.

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 5:30pm

Post #13 of 29 (984 views)
Shortcut
"I know your king was just killed and all, but I got this" [In reply to] Can't Post

-Azog

(This post was edited by Bishop on Jan 29 2015, 5:38pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 5:30pm

Post #14 of 29 (988 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

he could have gone with a darker tone and maybe he should have. Like I said I just use the bats as being the reason since that's what they were partially there for within the book.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 6:37pm

Post #15 of 29 (932 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mystery solved.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 10:17pm

Post #16 of 29 (893 views)
Shortcut
Problems organizing. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're an anarcho-syndicalist commune taking turns to act as an executive-Goblin-King-for-the-week but all the decisions of that King have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of external affairs (such as, say, pursuing a band of Dwarves outside the caverns), but after all the goblin deaths they were having quite a bit of a problem getting a quorum together.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 2:30am

Post #17 of 29 (855 views)
Shortcut
When the Goblin-King Crashed [In reply to] Can't Post

the REST of them were
DYING to EAT him..

The Best Meal they could have EVER Wished for.
Dwarves & Hobbits are jus' Snacks for them.

No one EVER..wantzzzz
to Talk...about... about
CANNIBALs. The most ghastly crime
against nature... there iszz..

YET? JRRT wrote about it.
ALOT

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 30 2015, 2:30am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 4:17am

Post #18 of 29 (823 views)
Shortcut
People just have different tastes. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bishop
Gondor

Jan 30 2015, 5:03am

Post #19 of 29 (821 views)
Shortcut
To each their own... [In reply to] Can't Post

So to speak.

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 30 2015, 1:10pm

Post #20 of 29 (790 views)
Shortcut
I think thats something that much easier to write than to film [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
he could have gone with a darker tone and maybe he should have. Like I said I just use the bats as being the reason since that's what they were partially there for within the book.

The idea of the sky being darkened by bats makes for evocative reading but in terms of actually showing it on film your talking bats in the millions or even billions. Granted todays CGI could probably handle it but if you go that route it would likely become the dominant feature of the entire battle.

Plus of course in Jacksons version of the story the Orcs at the BOT5A aren't the same as the Goblins we see in the Misty Mountains. Those Goblins look most similar to the Moria ones we see in FOTR where its mentioned they will only come out of Moria at nightfall.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 3:04pm

Post #21 of 29 (773 views)
Shortcut
Along with the bats... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps we could have seen a bank of dark, heavy clouds rolling in above the bats. The implication would be that Sauron or his servents were responsible. His arm is long.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 3:16pm

Post #22 of 29 (770 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have taken over and honestly would have been something else for people to pick at the film for.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 5:58pm

Post #23 of 29 (761 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Darkstone and Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

on the real reasons for the vanishment of Goblinkind...

also thundersnow would have been cool

and more bats

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 11:45pm

Post #24 of 29 (730 views)
Shortcut
I certainly would not have picked at that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have shown that Jackson was concerned about keeping continuity, which would have made me respect him as a storyteller more. As it stands, he should never have even bothered putting in lines about how Orcs/Goblins don't like to go out in the sun, because he completely disregards it on numerous occasions (in both LotR and TH). If anything, having Goblins out in daylight, after already stating that they won't go out in the sun in AUJ, is something to pick at the films for. Thrain's magically-reappearing eye is another example. To me, it's a weakness of Jackson's as a storyteller that he is so quick to throw continuity out the window just because he might think something looks really cool.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 1:13am

Post #25 of 29 (726 views)
Shortcut
Agree to disagree I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.