Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Aragorn Legolas Gimli vs. Faramir Haldir Dain (Iron Hills)

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 28 2015, 2:31am

Post #1 of 12 (14096 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn Legolas Gimli vs. Faramir Haldir Dain (Iron Hills) Can't Post

This is a free-for-all brawl between the two teams, each with a man and elf and a dwarf. I tried to make these teams reasonably fair, I hope you guys agree. I'll list their stats below.

Aragorn: Dunedain man, heir of Isildur, fights with Anduril, Blade of the West reforged from the shards of Narsil.
Legolas: Sindarin elf, son of King Thranduil of the Woodland Realm, fights with a bow of the Galadhrim and two knives.
Gimli: Dwarf of Durin's line, Son of Gloin, fights with a battleaxe (most dwarves carry additional miscellaneous weapons such as knives).

Faramir: Man of Gondor, son of Denethor Steward of Gondor, fights with bow and sword.
Haldir: Silvan Marchwarden of the Galdhrim in Lothlorien, unknown heritage, fights with a bow of the Galadhrim and sword.
Dain: Dwarf of Durin's line, King Under the Mountain in Erebor, son of King Nain, fights with a battleaxe (most dwarves carry additional miscellaneous weapons such as knives).

Go by Tolkien's literature. Ex.) Dain killed Azog, not Thorin (ROTK Appendices), and Faramir unlike his brother, displays the power of Westernesse (ROTK).

Fight to the death!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 12 (13941 views)
Shortcut
Ah, a tri-for-all... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn 'the greatest traveller and huntsman in this age of the world’ with Anduril? Faramir is toast!

Haldir, a simple border guard is good at concealment. We might even call him a Bounder. But nothing is known of his combat skills. Legolas, the son of Thranduil surely has a good deal of combat training and wins easily.

Gimli and Dain are stubbornly still at it! ”Baruk Khazad!” MadMad

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 30 2015, 12:44am

Post #3 of 12 (13939 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn Legolas Gimli vs. Faramir Haldir Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bracegirdle,
I agree with your outcomes of Aragorn and Legolas, but IMO Dain beats Gimli, although they have a decent duel. I guess a more fair duel would be Faramir Legolas Dain vs Boromir Elladan Thorin? A big variation from the original, but perhaps more equal. Any thoughts? And if you have any team suggestions, it'd be cool to see them.
Thanks, Earendil

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 3:08am

Post #4 of 12 (13915 views)
Shortcut
Hi back attcha Earendil [In reply to] Can't Post

You are most likely correct about Dain/Gimli as Dain was said to be “only a stripling in the reckoning of the Dwarves” when he hewed the head off Azog. But Gimli gave a super account of himself at the Battle of Helm’s Deep.

Boromir was accounted the ‘best man in Gondor’ and was a great warrior who, it seems, loved conflict. His brother had a gentle nature, was more contemplative and discerning. Although having great combative skills of his own Faramir would stand no chance one-on-one against Boromir.

We know Legolas was a supreme shot with a bow, and we also know that he was a great knife wielder from the Helm’s Deep battle. Didn’t he win the ‘contest’ between himself and Gimli? We know that Elladan was at the Battle of the Pelennor, but no mention is made of any individual prowess. But, we also know he and his brother rescued their mother from the orcs in the Misty Mts. I’d call this a push.

Dain and Thorin might be a bit easier. Although Thorin gave a good account of himself at the Battle of Azanulbizar he was wounded, and it was Dain that killed azog. Slight edge to Dain…

For some fun – how about:
Barliman Butterbur, Celebrian, & Bombur - vs
Forlong the Fat, Arwen, & Dis. ---- (Just kidding!) Smile

Cheers
BG

ps BTW welcome to TORn. Smile Please don't take my postings as normal on this site, as I'm a tad abnormal. Cool

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 30 2015, 3:35am

Post #5 of 12 (13913 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Bracegirdle [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided to join TORn because I have recently been rereading the LOTR books and Silmarillion, plus seeing the hobbit movies gets me in the Middle Earth mood :) In the book Gimli ended with 42 kills, Legolas with 41, while in the movie, Gimli had 43 and Legolas 42 (although Legolas tried to even the score by shooting a dead enemy).

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 30 2015, 3:38am

Post #6 of 12 (13922 views)
Shortcut
New Match [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone else has any ideas on new battles, feel free to post them on this thread, or a divergent view on either of the first two free for alls.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 8:06pm

Post #7 of 12 (13922 views)
Shortcut
Right you are… [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I think of it Gimli DID win the ‘contest’ by one point, as I recall Legolas saying something like – ”But I don’t begrudge it to you, as I’m extremely pleased to see your Dwarvish head still on your neck.” (I’m too lazy to look up the actual quote right now.) The growing and long lasting relationship between these two is a delightful side story in LOTR.

You seem to be very well versed in our favorite topic. Don’t feel shy about interjecting a comment here and there on ‘Main St.’ or the ‘Reading Room’. Everyone always takes delight with comments from ‘newbies’, and you will be treated fairly. This place is loaded with very nice and understanding folks. Smile

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 30 2015, 11:43pm

Post #8 of 12 (13898 views)
Shortcut
Will do [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Bracegirdle! I'll try out the other forums. Do you know of a thread where people rank the lotr and hobbit movies since BOTFA came out? I'd be interested in starting one, or participating in one.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 1:50am

Post #9 of 12 (13933 views)
Shortcut
Welcome.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m not real heavy into the films but there has been some talk here and there about the discrepancies in the movies, and “which do you like the best”, etc. But almost all seem to enjoy the movies despite the divergences from the text. I don’t know of a particular thread to send you to as the subject comes up occasionally, often ‘off topic’ from the OP (original posting).

Quite often new people come up with new and fresh thoughts, so I wouldn’t hesitate to start your own thread on “Movies-LOTR”. I can almost guarantee you’ll get lots of responses and ideas. Or you can just lurk the movie threads and make an occasional comment. Remember - much redundancy resides on this site. We seem to never get tired of going over and over the same subject (admittedly usually with some new insights though)

Anyway, Good luck Smile
BG

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Jan 31 2015, 7:26pm

Post #10 of 12 (13891 views)
Shortcut
Just Posted One [In reply to] Can't Post

I put it in main, as I didn't think it belonged either in LOTR or TH movie sections since it was about all 6.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 10:31pm

Post #11 of 12 (13898 views)
Shortcut
Nice Earendil.. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've gotten lots of interest already.

People just love this sort of thing.

Don't worry too much where you put your postings. Usually "Main" is pretty safe. If not one of the "Powers that be" will move it to another forum and it will be noted as "moved".

Cheers,
BG

EarendilTheMariner
The Shire

Feb 1 2015, 1:28am

Post #12 of 12 (14017 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going well, lots of different ideas. In a few days after that thread is exhausted I'm thinking of doing one for music. Top ten pieces from all six (though there doesn't need to be one for every movie). In my opinion, the music might be the best thing about those movies Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.