Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Rate the Hobbit Actors! Who is your favorite actor?
Poll: Rate the Hobbit Actors! Who is your favorite actor?
Best Actor: Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield
Best Actor: Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins
Best Actor: Ian McKellan - Gandalf the Grey
Best Actor: Lee Pace - Thranduil
Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch - Smaug
Supporting Actor: Ken Stott - Balin
Supporting Actor: Grahm McTavish - Dwalin
Supporting Actor: Luke Evans - Bard
Supporting Actor: Orlando Bloom - Legolas
Supporting Actor: Manu Bennet - Azog
Comic Relief: James Nesbit - Bofur
Comic Relief: Stephen Hunter - Bombur
Comic Relief: Stephen Fry -Master of Laketown
Comic Relief: Ryan Gage - Alfrid
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett - Galadrial
Best Actress: Evangeline Lily - Tauriel
Best New Actor: Adam Brown - Ori
Best New Actor: Peggy Nesbit - Sigrid
Best New Actor: Mary Nesbit - Tilda
Best New Actor: Stephen Hunder - Bombur
View Results (326 votes)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 3:31pm

Post #1 of 24 (8032 views)
Shortcut
Rate the Hobbit Actors! Who is your favorite actor? Can't Post

Since NO ONE got nominated for any Oscar/Golden Globe/whatever, and IMO they should have, I thought I'd do my own set of polls, starting with Best Actor. Really, I think this will come down to Richard v. Martin, and I really couldn't choose between those two, but just to make it interesting I threw in some other actors with very prominent parts. Next is Best Supporting Actor, which could have had a dozen names, but I held it down to five. And yes I included Manu Bennet in the list, why not? He was in all three films, even if he was CGI. Next is Comic Relief, only listed four here. Best Actress, well there were really only two, and I have a feeling I know how this will end up, but let's see if I'm right. Finally, Best New Actor/Actress. I believe "The Hobbit" was the debut film for Adam Brown, Stephen Hunter, Peggy and Mary Nesbit. Not sure about John Bell, I think he's been in other things, so that's why he wasn't included. Yes, Stephen Hunter was nominated for two categories, but I think he fits in well with both. So, five categories, five votes, and may the best actors win!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2015, 3:56pm

Post #2 of 24 (7547 views)
Shortcut
You're right, very very difficult to [In reply to] Can't Post

choose between Martin and Richard for Bedt Actor. Though I love Martin, he was never the "perfect" Bilbo for me, and I also felt that Richard had overall the more challenging role so I went with him. Smile

As an aside, Kili, doncha think maybe Martin should also have been nominated for Best Comic Relief?

Annael
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 24 (7558 views)
Shortcut
Ken Stott for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved every one of his minutes onscreen. He was the "sleeper" actor for me, as Bernard Hill was for LOTR.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 5:08pm

Post #4 of 24 (7541 views)
Shortcut
Even though I wasn't a fan of the character, [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Evangeline Lily did a fine job, so I voted for her in that category.

And in my opinion, though there were several great performances, Martin Freeman tops them all. He was perfect.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 24 (7538 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he was lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then Balin has always been my favorite dwarf.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2015, 5:27pm

Post #6 of 24 (7545 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

It was close between him and Richard Armitage in the first two films, but Freeman was, to my eyes, just perfect in Bo5A. I can't think of a moment with him that I did not love in that movie.

In your other categories I voted for Stott (great in all three films!), Lily, Gage, and Hunter.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 24 (7544 views)
Shortcut
I picked about half a dozen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so decisive, LOL!

I even picked Evangeline Lilly, because even though I think the character is a waste of screen time, she was lovely and very Elvish.

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 7:32pm

Post #8 of 24 (7536 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

So many fine actors, but I chose Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellen, Richard Armitage, and Cate Blanchett as my favourite actors. An honorable metion should go to Ken Stott. I also really liked Lee Pace as Thranduil and Luke Evans as Bard.

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 9:11pm

Post #9 of 24 (7561 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian will always be the best... [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't play Gandalf.

He is Gandalf.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 24 (7475 views)
Shortcut
same for the other Sir Ian [In reply to] Can't Post

really, of all the actors in the entire franchise, for me Ian Holm was the one who embodied the character exactly as I saw him. He truly was Bilbo to the life as I'd always imagined him. And Martin Freeman was the best possible choice to follow his act.

My Gandalf is gruffer and you don't see that flash of compassion nearly as often. Just as my Aragorn is far more remote and self-contained. Not the fault of the actors but of the writers/director, who saw them differently. Bilbo was the one character on whom we agreed.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 9:49pm

Post #11 of 24 (7473 views)
Shortcut
You're probably already aware of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Ian Holm was the voice of Frodo in the fantastic BBC radio dramatization of LOTR back in the 80s. (I think that's the correct decade.)

I always thought it was inspired casting to bring him on as Bilbo in the movies, because he was such a great Frodo.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 1:49am

Post #12 of 24 (7454 views)
Shortcut
I had the entire set of cassette tapes of that production. [In reply to] Can't Post

Listened to it several times.

Many great actors on that production. Michael Hordern as Gandalf, Robert Stephens as Aragorn, Peter Vaughn as Denethor. Did you know that Bill Nighy voiced Sam?

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 4:27am

Post #13 of 24 (7463 views)
Shortcut
Yes! He did a great job! [In reply to] Can't Post

They're available as downloads on Audible.com, along with the Rob Inglis narrations of the books:

http://www.audible.com/...0_4&sprefix=lord

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2015, 7:39pm

Post #14 of 24 (7425 views)
Shortcut
Well said!// [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 8:00am

Post #15 of 24 (7459 views)
Shortcut
I'll give it to Evans [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably surprised me the most, especially since his character is probably the one that benefitted the most from the book to screen translation so he was building the character from the ground up really. But honestly the acting was great across the board and it's the only element of all six films that I have zero complaints about.

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 31 2015, 7:10pm

Post #16 of 24 (7438 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Ken Stott was definitely the highlight of the trilogy for me (in performance terms) subtle, measured, amusing and believable, he did little to steal scenes deliberately, yet somehow did.

It helped that he looked almost exactly like I pictured Balin when reading the book...

In general I think I prefer the acting of the supporting cast in TH, but the acting of the leads in LOTR.

Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2015, 4:46am

Post #17 of 24 (7424 views)
Shortcut
so much talent [In reply to] Can't Post

so many of my choices were very very close.

not a bad actor in the bunch

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 12:42am

Post #18 of 24 (7367 views)
Shortcut
okay...=P [In reply to] Can't Post

Best Actor: Martin Freeman
Supporting Actor: Luke Evans DEFINITELY
Comic Relief: James Nesbitt
Best Actress: Evangeline Lily
Best New Actor: Mary Nesbitt

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 3 2015, 9:53pm

Post #19 of 24 (7403 views)
Shortcut
The results so far [In reply to] Can't Post

So far Martin Freeman has pulled ahead of Richard for Best Actor, it was a pretty close race for awhile. Ken Stott seems to have a lock on Best Supporting Actor, despite some recent votes for Luke Evans. I think it's safe to declare James Nesbit the Winner of Best Comic Relief, he's so far ahead of everyone else. Best Actress is still a very close race, with Kate Blanchett just barely ahead of Evangeline Lily. That one surprised me, Evangeline was ahead for quite some time, but I thought Kate would be a slam-dunk. As for Best New Actor, Adam Brown is ahead but Stephen Hunter is catching up - sorry about the name mis-spelling, Steve. And I was right, this was not John Bell's first movie - that was "Wrath of the Titams," LOL!

Many thanks to all who've voted so far!

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 5 2015, 8:29pm

Post #20 of 24 (7338 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo all over! [In reply to] Can't Post

I Heart Bilbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!AngelicTongue

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 5 2015, 8:35pm

Post #21 of 24 (7346 views)
Shortcut
Tis very unfair! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted all the Tolkien movies to get Oscars or other nominations! I was so mad.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 12 2015, 3:26am

Post #22 of 24 (7324 views)
Shortcut
Thorin will always be number one in my book... [In reply to] Can't Post

followed by Balin (Ken Stott) for Supporting Actor, Bofur (James Nesbit) for Comic Relief (it was a toss up between him and Alfrid, but I like Bofur better), Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) for Best Actress, and Ori (Adam Brown) for Best New Actor. I think we all know who plays Thorin, and it's about time he won some kind of award for it. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I had to think about who I would vote for in the other categories first.Smile

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Feb 12 2015, 3:30am)

banaili
Bree

Feb 26 2015, 4:14pm

Post #23 of 24 (7267 views)
Shortcut
Completely agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I eagerly awaited all of Ken Stott's scenes, haha! Everyone was excellent as their characters, but there wasn't a single moment that I doubted Ken's Balin! He was exactly as I imagined him in the book! :)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 9:38pm

Post #24 of 24 (7262 views)
Shortcut
I thought all the actors that [In reply to] Can't Post

returned from LotR were excellent, especially Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, but they already got their due last time, so i'm gonna have to go with Martin Freeman, who was pretty much perfect as Bilbo, and sets a new standard for the ideal hobbit.

But Ken Stott was terrific as Balin as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.