Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How did non-book readers respond to the Dwarves' deaths?

Lio
Lorien

Jan 29 2015, 1:50am

Post #1 of 5 (897 views)
Shortcut
How did non-book readers respond to the Dwarves' deaths? Can't Post

I'm curious, has anyone talked to people who haven't read the books or been spoiled beforehand concerning the fate of Fili, Kili, and Thorin?

How did they feel about each one?

I'm wondering if a lot of people were surprised at the outcome, expecting a much happier ending where everyone survives. (I have the impression that Kili especially is popular among the general audience, so I imagine a lot of people were surprised he was killed off! Frown)

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser! (Does anyone still use AIM?)

Starglass
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 5 (519 views)
Shortcut
A couple responses [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the movie the first time with a group of people, most book readers (or spoiled non-book readers), but two had no forewarning.

My aunt (the first unspoiled) left the theater crying and upset by all three deaths, but said that Thorin's affected and surprised her the most. She was surprised by the overall darker ending and the number of deaths and didn't like seeing the "boys" die either.

My boyfriend was the other unsuspecting viewer and a Kili-fan as you mentioned. He was pretty shocked when he died and I'd say his death bothered him the most. He also was concerned for a bit about Tauriel possibly dying. He wasn't expecting Thorin to die, and was silently cheering him on when he sunk Azog under the ice. I'm pretty sure he thought the battle was over there. He didn't really talk about Fili.

Anyway, I hope that answers your questions to some extent. Meanwhile, I need to go cheer myself up as writing about this has made me sad. Frown

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 29 2015, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 5 (515 views)
Shortcut
My friend was surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he was expecting anyone to really die. He enjoyed the movie but actually felt to many characters died. I think after Fili was executed he wasn't expecting anymore of the cast to die. He was quite found of Thorin, Fili and Kili. He actually considered Fili and Kili a more "fighty" version of Merry and Pippin.

My parents were quite shocked by the deaths. They came into my work after the film to tell me they enjoyed it. After briefly talking about the movie, my mum said she cried through the last half hour of the movie, she then started to feel upset again and had to leave my work!

Yes, my username is terrible.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 8:22pm

Post #4 of 5 (314 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately considering the age we live in (internet and all), most of them were spoiled before they watched BOFA, but one friend who knew some of them are going to die was shocked when he saw it was Thorin, and one who didn't know anything, she almost screamed out loud when Kili and Thorin died. Laugh

Very grim things to talk about, but her reaction always make me laugh even at events as painful as that. Unimpressed

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2015, 6:28am

Post #5 of 5 (292 views)
Shortcut
My son... [In reply to] Can't Post

...age 12, had not read the book and was unaware of the ending. He was not too upset, but agrees with the folks who think more closure was needed after so many important characters died. I think he will like the funeral in the EE (if it is indeed there), he felt a need for more reactions of other characters to the deaths.

The fight between Thorin and Azog on the ice was his favorite scene.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.