Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you think The Hobbit will gain more recognization as it grows older?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 7:41pm

Post #26 of 65 (1317 views)
Shortcut
*Hullo, Elessar!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 7:43pm

Post #27 of 65 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the defending gets exhausting! [In reply to] Can't Post

After two trilogies worth of it, I am quite tired! Laugh I do recall that Oscar reception and buildup - though I was so excited to watch it sweep that night I couldn't even sit down to watch it - I paced a lot!

BTW I am in this bit discussing it with Anwyn (I'm Regina, the nutter discussing stealing Tom Hanks' Oscars...CrazyLaugh) Thanks to dear Magpie for tracking this down for me:

ANWYN'S COUNTERPOINT:
Lucas and Jackson and Tolkien, Oh My

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 28 2015, 7:52pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 8:00pm

Post #28 of 65 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Maybe in book enthusiasts forums... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the reactions were closer to what you describe but that is a very limited and insulated view of events. I was talking about the broad reception the movies got, among critics and the mainstream. Make no mistake, though, there were (are) a lot of Tolkien fans who loved these movies, myself included.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 8:10pm

Post #29 of 65 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Hey!! :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

How are ya?! :)Cool

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 28 2015, 11:06pm

Post #30 of 65 (1298 views)
Shortcut
No they don't have the quality of timeless movies [In reply to] Can't Post

There are aspects to admire in the films- some good performances, great design, and fantastic visual scenes with Smaug and Gollum. But many of the writing decisions are just plain bad- the three film adaptation approach really was a huge mistake, the new characters are all weak, the pacing is off, tone misjudged, dialogue often poor. And ultimately BOTFA just doesn't deliver the excitement and emotional climax that a great film trilogy needs.

LOTR really does get better the more times you watch it. It's not flawless by any means, but it has so many brilliant directorial decisions, fantastic pace, great economy of writing, so many epic scenes and strong performances. It fully deserves its classic status and critical acclaim.

I think over time the gap in quality between Jackson's LOTR and The Hobbit films will become even more apparent than it already is, and the franchise marketing claims that The Hobbit is part of a "six film project" will look increasingly silly. I also agree with other commentators pointing out that the overuse of CGI in The Hobbit is not going to help it age either, again comparing unfavourably to the physical approach of LotR.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 11:08pm

Post #31 of 65 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Good! Just COLD right now! Brrrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope all is well by you, dear E!

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 12:00am

Post #32 of 65 (1278 views)
Shortcut
At least on this forum... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the reception to LOTR was highly favorable. So much so that people like myself who weren't as happy with the films were sometimes made to feel extremely unwelcome because of our views.

And the fact that LOTR received many more award nominations (and wins) suggests that they were more favorably received critically as well.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 12:05am

Post #33 of 65 (1272 views)
Shortcut
That Oscar night was really something, wasn't it..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it became harder to watch the more awards they received, because there was that feeling of 'it can't go on... sooner or later they've got to drop one, and pleeeease don't let it be director or film.'

And yes, I share your memories of a time when the first trilogy had its band of critics and complainants - that and your long-service trilogy defence exhaustion. Been a long ride, hasn't it - thankfully there's always the films and books to escape into and no one has yet managed to spoil either for me (nor will they Wink )

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 12:37am

Post #34 of 65 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely – that's how I remember it, too, Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted on several forums at that time (probably not this one), and remember that there were massive attacks on LotR, however much people now try to say that is not the case in order to 'support' their attacks on this trilogy, and by so doing to somehow attempt to 'prove' that this trilogy is somehow worse than LotR. And yes, I remember the widespread condemnation of Liv Tyler before TTT was released, etc.

In any case, my views about The Hobbit remain the same – it is an extraordinary achievement, in my opinion.

In Reply To
And I was around here for LOTR. The reception was very similar in its time, which makes me chuckle when that trilogy is now touted as the Be All and End All, and anything that comes after is surely inferior.

Or maybe our posting experiences were. I do not feel that I am 'skewing history', and nor do I believe that I am wont to do so to 'make a point'. That was my impression at the time, that enough massive negativity and naysaying (as well as wholesale condemnation of Liv Tyler for example, by many people, just on the basis of Arwen's added material) actually caused me to leave the movie boards. Posts I see today could read as any of the LOTR titles versus TH titles and read exactly the same.

We can agree to disagree, but my impressions are my own and remain what they are.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 1:01am

Post #35 of 65 (1235 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the criticism and upset over the changes PJ made to the LoTRs vs Tolkien's books. And I have chuckled when The Hobbit movies are criticized as not being true to the book using the same criticisms that were used against the LoTR films. What really gets me chuckling is those who criticize the Hobbit films point to how faithful to Tolkien the LoTR movies were. And there were the criticisms of the sets in LoTR as not being real that are now being praised as being realistic looking compared to the Hobbit. SIGH

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 1:10am

Post #36 of 65 (1242 views)
Shortcut
you are not mistaken [In reply to] Can't Post

I also remember the negative posts on Arwen, on Eowen, on Treebeard, on Faramir, on Legolas, on the cgi characters in Moria and so on.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 1:56am

Post #37 of 65 (1220 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the cold part though. lol

I'm doing well. I took a much needed break from the net right around the time of the film. Something got to me and I had to walk away. I'm back though and need to get some reviews done of my new Middle-earth statues from Weta. Other than that just taking everything day to day hoping spring will get here soon.Cool

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jan 29 2015, 1:57am)

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 2:12am

Post #38 of 65 (1223 views)
Shortcut
It's hard for any of us to say *now*, but it's not impossible [In reply to] Can't Post

Many films throughout history were released to mixed critical reception and/or poor box office returns, etc. and later became classics over the years. Vertigo and Blade Runner come to mind as two good examples. Who knows, maybe in 20 or 30 years the Hobbit trilogy will be more highly regarded than it is now? Hard to predict these things.

(This post was edited by MechaGodzilla on Jan 29 2015, 2:12am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 4:27am

Post #39 of 65 (1226 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are aspects to admire in the films- some good performances, great design, and fantastic visual scenes with Smaug and Gollum. But many of the writing decisions are just plain bad- the three film adaptation approach really was a huge mistake, the new characters are all weak, the pacing is off, tone misjudged, dialogue often poor. And ultimately BOTFA just doesn't deliver the excitement and emotional climax that a great film trilogy needs.

LOTR really does get better the more times you watch it. It's not flawless by any means, but it has so many brilliant directorial decisions, fantastic pace, great economy of writing, so many epic scenes and strong performances. It fully deserves its classic status and critical acclaim.

I think over time the gap in quality between Jackson's LOTR and The Hobbit films will become even more apparent than it already is, and the franchise marketing claims that The Hobbit is part of a "six film project" will look increasingly silly. I also agree with other commentators pointing out that the overuse of CGI in The Hobbit is not going to help it age either, again comparing unfavourably to the physical approach of LotR.

Everyone remember this is just my opinion. I really hate being negative all the time but I completely agree with this post. The hobbit movies just don't have the same magic as LOTR. The biggest thing that stands out for me is when people call it a 6 film saga. To me, the hobbit looks and feels so different from LOTR that it doesn't seem like it's part of the same series. That's been a big issue for me since I saw the second trailer to AUJ. The methods that PJ used for these movies creates a very different visual for middle earth than what we had in LOTR. People can try to convince me all they want that it's a different time, Bilbo's memory, etc. but the fact remains the same that it just isn't the same middle earth.

I guess that's neither here nor there with regard to the main topic. I honestly think the majority of people out there will look at the hobbit trilogy the same way people look at the SW prequels. While the hobbit isn't nearly as bad as the SW prequels, there will still be a sense that this is an inferior trilogy that could have been much more.

Edit: I want to end on a more positive note since I feel like I don't do it enough on this board. In the end it doesn't really matter how these movies look in the future. All that matters is how each person individually receives the film. If you don't like the film, you don't like it. If you like it, then you like it. And nobody else's opinion is really going to change any of that, no matter how many years go by.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jan 29 2015, 4:33am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 6:47am

Post #40 of 65 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Agree totally with you on this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 7:27am

Post #41 of 65 (1178 views)
Shortcut
LOL.. I absolutely share your optimism, dormouse! // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 7:36am

Post #42 of 65 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Analysis of the LOTR past that is quite true, [In reply to] Can't Post

and augurs well indeed for the future fuller recognition of TH.
I had actually just now written a post pointing out exactly the same phenomenon, and then some technical problem made it disappear!!! I was shocked and dismayed at first with the loss of my post, and then I started suspecting some other post must be already there in this thread, saying the same thing I had wanted to say... and I found your post!!! You see, you have unwittingly written it for both of us, so thank you! Wink

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 7:45am

Post #43 of 65 (1178 views)
Shortcut
You are speaking of the critics and their reviews, [In reply to] Can't Post

while in the other post what is remembered is the reactions from the fans, which were just as hotly discussed on these TORn forums as the TH films are now.
This is why your memories are different, and not because of any skewering of history by the other poster. You are simply not speaking of the same thing...!!! Wink

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 9:31am

Post #44 of 65 (1202 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be remembered as a mild dissapointment for years to come. "Good Enough" is the phrase that comes to mind.

The CGI will age teribbly, and there is no emotional attachment to make future generations have some sort of epiphany about this trilogies quality. It is what it is.

Also, on the subject of TH vs. LOTR reception. Perhaps among huge Tolkien fans, the reception has been similar. But as films? No. Way.

I would go as far to say anyone who thinks The Hobbit has been received the same way amongst film fans as LOTR is downright delusional. I'm not just talking about critics, but people who are more critical of them strictly as films rather than adaptation.

It actually boggles my mind that anyone could see The Hobbit as being on par with LOTR strictly as films. Its so obvious to me that LOTR is vastly superior in character development, editing, and score.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jan 29 2015, 9:36am)

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 11:32am

Post #45 of 65 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps but to some degree there was a need for a "new prequals"... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the narrative will be established that these are "Jackson's Star Wars prequels" and that that is how they will be remembered, despite not being accurate.
Pity.

My view is that the negative reaction to the Starwars Prequals has become almost a culture onto itself when it comes to both reviewers/commentators and the more general public. There failings are of course worth of a good deal of criticism but I think disliking them has become a bit of a safe touchstone, something you could bring up without really making an interesting point or with the risk of being disagreed with.

I think it was pretty clear even before release that there was a strong desire for the Hobbit films to follow this path from a lot of people.

It will be interesting to see whether this opinion lasts, my guess is that it may well not simply because the attraction of it is that it be near universal. If you get a decent minority challenging it then lazy critical articles won't get as positive a response and people who don't like having there opinions questioned will look elsewhere.

Ignoring this aspect I don't think the films will ever be as well regarded as LOTR as there simply not as good but I do think that like LOTR there certainly rewatch friendly in the density of there character/plot/design as is the case with most of Jacksons work.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 11:48am

Post #46 of 65 (1204 views)
Shortcut
This statement (quoted below) actually boggles MY mind [In reply to] Can't Post

It is obvious to me that The Hobbit is in fact vastly superior to LotR in terms of casting, acting, character development and the visuals at the very least. As for the scores – they are simply different in style from each other, one (LotR) being 'in your face', and the other (Hobbit) being much more subtle. It simply depends on what you prefer. As for the CGI, it will age no more than that for LotR films has aged since those films were aired. It very much pushed boundaries and did so successfully on the whole (and spectacularly in some cases, e.g. Smaug), which is more than can be said for other films relying on CGI these days.

However, having said this, I prefer to view the LotR trilogy and Hobbit trilogy separately, since they are very different in tone and style, and (to me) not really comparable.

IMHO.

In Reply To
It actually boggles my mind that anyone could see The Hobbit as being on par with LOTR strictly as films. Its so obvious to me that LOTR is vastly superior in character development, editing, and score.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 1:21pm

Post #47 of 65 (1186 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(LotR) being 'in your face', and the other (Hobbit) being much more subtle

Yeah. The Hobbit trilogy is way more subtle. The company and legolas literally defying physics in a total poetic fashion. Not in your face at all.

Also... The new Planet of the Apes films blow The Hobbits CGI out of the water. That's why DOTPOTA's is going to win the vxf Oscar this year. It deserves it.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jan 29 2015, 1:27pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Jan 29 2015, 1:28pm

Post #48 of 65 (1157 views)
Shortcut
I think it should've been pretty obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

That Glorfindela was talking about the music.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 1:55pm

Post #49 of 65 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

there is no emotional attachment to make future generations have some sort of epiphany about this trilogies quality.

There is no way for you to know about anyone else's emotional attachments, or lack thereof, but your own, so I wouldn't claim such things as facts. Future generations may very well be able to see beyond the CGI and into the heart of the story as well as I have been able to enjoy many movies made before I was born.

The Hobbit fandom...
Is officially crazy and delusional.

This was probably said jest, but as a straight answer to another poster's view, I find it offensive. Just because someone likes something you don't, it doesn't make them crazy or delusional and gives you no right to go insulting them.

...Unless, of course, we all just shrug at the haughty post(er)s and embrace our shared madness. Glorfindela, BlackFox, Riven Delve and dormouse - I'm in good company, so can't complain! Laugh
(I don't belog to any "official fandom" either.)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 2:04pm

Post #50 of 65 (1144 views)
Shortcut
As you well know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was talking about the music in my response here, NOT about the films in general.

Thank you for expressing your opinion. I disagree.

In Reply To

In Reply To
(LotR) being 'in your face', and the other (Hobbit) being much more subtle

Yeah. The Hobbit trilogy is way more subtle. The company and legolas literally defying physics in a total poetic fashion. Not in your face at all.

Also... The new Planet of the Apes films blow The Hobbits CGI out of the water. That's why DOTPOTA's is going to win the vxf Oscar this year. It deserves it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.