Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Of 'Holy Stones', Tauriel, and Light 'precious and pure' ...

chauvelin2000
Bree

Jan 28 2015, 9:21am

Post #1 of 11 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Of 'Holy Stones', Tauriel, and Light 'precious and pure' ... Can't Post

The Holy Stones' (Silmarils / Arkenstones') Light, precious and pure — the Greek, Sanskrit, and Gothic words (for 'bright, pure') all go back to the same Indo-European root *ar(e)g-, meaning 'shining' or 'bright' — the same root, in fact, which seems to underlie the word 'elf' (Germanic *alba- or *albinjo, which seem to have meant 'white' and 'shining' — as in 'the White People', one of the euphemisms of the Fair Folk (so named for the uncanny 'whiteness of native faerie creatures', including Elves, of which the 'holy, bright, pure' elf-lore motif is a defining characteristic). The Latin world for silver, argenta, also derives from the same root, and it may underlie the names for the Alps ('the Whites', so called for their snow-cover; likewise, the White Mountains of Gondor) and Albion, a traditional name for Britain in old legends ('The White Land', inspired by the White Cliffs of Dover, the first part of the island seen by someone approaching it from mainland Europe).

In the 'eorclan' of Eorclanstánas (the Silmarils, or 'Holy Stones') or in the 'arken' of the Arkenstone's own connection with Elves [whiteness / brightness, holiness and purity] it is important to note these characteristics as also being definitive of the very Light that emanates from those precious Gems — the Light of the Two Trees of Valinor 'blended to a marvellous fire' (which the Vala Varda [S: Elbereth 'Star-queen'] took to create the heavens' brightest stars and constellations). The reason why the Elves now living in 'the Wide World' (Middle-earth) so love the light of the stars is not only because they, as the firstborn children of Ilúvatar the Creator, initially awoke to them (at Cuiviénen 'Water of Awakening', on the shores of the Sea of Helcar in the far east of Middle-earth), but also because it represented and embodied ancient memory (for those of the Three Kindreds who had journeyed to Aman, the land of the Valar-gods across the sea in the Uttermost West, and beheld the Light of the Two Trees — whose dews were used to create the heavens' brightest stars): it reminded them of their earliest beginnings and that their true home was among the gods.

It is for this reason that Tauriel, the Silvan captain of the Elvenking's guard in Peter Jackson's filmic retelling of Tolkien's story, is quick to explain to the imprisoned Dwarf-prince Kili the meaning of that night's celebratory feast, Mereth e-nGilith [S: 'the Feast of Starlight'] — because that Light is dear to her (born as it is of the Two Trees themselves, the very Light that was 'blended to a marvellous fire' in each of the three eorclanstánas 'holy stones' that Fëanor fashioned):

'All light is sacred to the Eldar', says Tauriel, 'but wood-elves love best the light of the stars ...' To which Kili responds (with the Elves as a race clearly in mind, forlornly remote and inaccessible as they are, for he is, as painfully apparent here in his 'star-crossed' expression, hopelessly attracted to them — hence his great love of archery, uncommon for a Dwarf): 'I always thought it is a cold light, remote and far away.' Surprised at his apparent lack of understanding, yet wishing for him to discover and come to know its marvellous joys, Tauriel explains: 'It is memory! — precious and pure!' [meaning starlight's ancient connection to the Elves' awakening and to creation — to their inklings of a preexistence with the All-Father, Eru Ilúvatar; such ideal word choice by the screen-writers here cannot be mere coincidence, or chance]. She looks up towards the nighttime sky and continues: 'I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the White Light forever fill the air!' (Tolkien equates his 'White Light' of which Gandalf is 'keeper' — that is, 'servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor [the Sun = the flame of the Son of God]' — with 'the Holy Spirit', his inspiration for what he also calls 'the Flame Imperishable' of Ilúvatar, the divine life-force of the world and the universe; see Clyde S. Kilby's Tolkien & The Silmarillion, pp. 57-59: Narya, Gandalf's 'Ring of Fire' (surrendered to him by Círdan the Shipwright upon Gandalf's arrival in Middle-earth) thus is symbolic of its true meaning and equals 'Fire' of the Holy Spirit; in opposition to this, or the antithesis of Tolkien's original White Light or White Flame, is 'the Red Fire' — 'the Flame of Udûn [Hell]'.

The character Tauriel speaks as an Elf who knows intimately 'the White Light' that calls the children of Ilúvatar home, that is itself 'blended to a marvellous fire' in 'the thrice-renowned' eorclanstánas 'holy stones', the Silmarils, in which traditional elf-lore (of which these 'sacred stones' form a most intimate part) she is obviously well-versed. At the borders to the dwellings of the Men of the Lake Tauriel manifests not only this knowledge, but also her wisdom in the interaction she has with her partner in heroic 'crime', Legolas, who stubbornly maintains (like a philosophic echo of his even more obdurate father) that the wider war with evil 'is not our fight'. This sort of mindset, or world-view, Tauriel cannot accept: 'It is our fight! It will not end here. With every victory this evil will grow. If your father has his way, we will do nothing. We will hide within our walls, live our lives away from the Light and let Darkness descend. Are we not part of this world? Tell me, mellon ['friend'], when did we let evil become stronger than us [who represent light, or goodness in the world]?' Tauriel is not a common 'dreamer', but a fearless and practical visionary — one who clearly hopes for a brighter day when the White Light will indeed 'forever fill the air!'

Lio
Lorien

Jan 29 2015, 1:44am

Post #2 of 11 (977 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really have anything to add, but I like how you tied Tauriel's character back to the books. Even if she is "made up" for the movies, I think she fits in well enough and makes a good Elf. Smile

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser! (Does anyone still use AIM?)

chauvelin2000
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 4:16am

Post #3 of 11 (977 views)
Shortcut
Screen-writers able to draw in more Tolkien through other characters ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! -- What I've always loved about Jackson and Boyens and Walsh is how they've been able to include more of Tolkien's themes and text in their films by either creating new characters or judiciously assigning (sometimes re-assigning) Tolkien's words to already existing characters that otherwise would have just remained in the books -- the same goes for all the great Appendices material and allusions to works such as the SILMARILLION or Tolkien's 'Quest of Erebor' -- not to mention allusions to even Tolkien's essays, such as visualizing for us the manner by which Galadriel and Gandalf spoke telepathically to one another in the White Council scene -- a clear nod to Tolkien's essay, 'Ósanwe-kenta: Enquiry into the Communication of Thought', by which he describes that very process.

The film-makers were utterly brilliant in the salient bits that they chose, and I applaud them for how artfully (and economically) they were able to weave into their adaptations so much of Tolkien's thought, which I fear wouldn't have even entered the minds of many lesser film-makers (who may not have necessarily have been fans of Tolkien in the first place -- thanks again! :)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 8:49am

Post #4 of 11 (941 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't agree more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And again, thanks for an interesting and thoughtful post. One of the things that struck me and several others here was the amount of unexpected Tolkien reference that was deftly woven into this adaptation of The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug in particular was lit up by it.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 10:44am

Post #5 of 11 (947 views)
Shortcut
I wonder which of the team actually wrote this... [In reply to] Can't Post

'All light is sacred to the Eldar', says Tauriel, 'but wood-elves love best the light of the stars ...' To which Kili responds (with the Elves as a race clearly in mind, forlornly remote and inaccessible as they are, for he is, as painfully apparent here in his 'star-crossed' expression, hopelessly attracted to them — hence his great love of archery, uncommon for a Dwarf): 'I always thought it is a cold light, remote and far away.' Surprised at his apparent lack of understanding, yet wishing for him to discover and come to know its marvellous joys, Tauriel explains: 'It is memory! — precious and pure!' [meaning starlight's ancient connection to the Elves' awakening and to creation — to their inklings of a preexistence with the All-Father, Eru Ilúvatar; such ideal word choice by the screen-writers here cannot be mere coincidence, or chance]. She looks up towards the nighttime sky and continues: 'I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the White Light forever fill the air!'

I'd place my bets heavily on Fran Walsh out of the three....it just seems bizarre to me that we get beautiful lines like this on one hand, and the excruciating "I could have anything down my trousers!" the next.

Symptomatic of the conflicting tone throughout the TH trilogy, unfortunately.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 2:15pm

Post #6 of 11 (917 views)
Shortcut
Lovely post, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I adore this scene, and the script is so beautiful that just remembering it brings tears to my eyes!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2015, 2:39pm

Post #7 of 11 (919 views)
Shortcut
Nice to discover one more learned and brilliant mind among us TORnsibs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post was a pleasure to read - especially as it concerned Tauriel, whom I personally like very much, but who is often treated with some contempt, and seen as a very minor character only.
A welcome change in perspective!!! Cool

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 4:37pm

Post #8 of 11 (919 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant post [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for sharing. I very much enjoyed your insight and comments. For Tolkien book fans, we thrilled to the connections in the films drawn from the appendices and for non book readers or those not as familiar as you obviously are, the background at least hints to so much more and perhaps introduces those that are interested to more of Tolkien's works.

chauvelin2000
Bree

Feb 1 2015, 5:13am

Post #9 of 11 (877 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to all the lovers of Tauriel ... the underrated Warrior Princess! :D ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your kind thoughts, warm welcomes, and well wishes are very much appreciated, thank you!!! ... Blush

Hail, to Tauriel! :) ...

I love the Elvish philosophy that pours onto the silver screen through her character -- especially as it juxtaposes to, and contrasts, that of the Dwarves.

Kudos to the screen-writers! ... and to a little, furry-footed director ...

Heart

chauvelin2000
Bree

Feb 9 2015, 6:07pm

Post #10 of 11 (821 views)
Shortcut
Correction (errata) ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first paragraph of my original post ... the correction below is simply a missed clause in my transfer from 'draft', but which might be of interest to some . . .

'...the White People', one of the euphemisms of the Fair Folk (so named for the uncanny 'whiteness of native faerie creatures', such as the white stag or deer, but also including Elves, of which the 'holy, bright, pure' elf-lore motif is a defining characteristic)...'

--------------------------------------------

chauvelin2000
Bree

Feb 9 2015, 7:09pm

Post #11 of 11 (824 views)
Shortcut
Correction 2 (errata) ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the context of Gandalf's 'White Light', I'd intended for a clarifying reference to 'Udûn' at the end of the penultimate paragraph . . .

'...the antithesis of Tolkien's original White Light or White Flame, is 'the Red Fire' — 'the Flame of Udûn [Hell]', which blackest of powers is wielded by that Black Master Melkor-Morgoth and his evil-Maiar servants — including 'the Necromancer', or Dark Lord Sauron, and other vile creatures perhaps, such as the Balrog of Khazad-dûm...'

--------------------------------------------

(This post was edited by chauvelin2000 on Feb 9 2015, 7:15pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.