It's the still-Tuesday Reading Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 12:29am

Post #1 of 53 (1292 views)
Shortcut
It's the still-Tuesday Reading Thread! Can't Post

As we send our good-healing vibes to Lily, what have you been reading?

I'm on book two of Robin Hobbs's Farseer trilogy, Royal Assassin. Hobb is not easy on her hero or her readers; so far, the good guys seem to have all the deck stacked against them. But my she's a fine writer with a gift for memorable characters.

And you?

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2015, 1:31am

Post #2 of 53 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re-reading some Dresden Files books. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're so easy to get sucked back into. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 2:24am

Post #3 of 53 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Same stuff, for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thoroughly enjoying Ulysses. Having the annotations really helps contextualize so many of the references that would normally go unnoticed or uninterpreted.

Incredible, really.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 3:48am

Post #4 of 53 (1109 views)
Shortcut
I finally finished 'Sometimes a Great Notion" [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember starting this several decades ago, and getting no further than the first chapter. This time I stuck it through, and ...

Wow.

Like a lot of great art, it's work. But the reward is worth it. Kesey, I think, wanted to write a Great Book, and the work of doing it is sometimes too visible. His most famous trick - the points where the narrative voice switches without warning between two or three of the characters present so you struggle to figure out who's saying or thinking what - is heavy-handed. Yes, he gives you the clues to solve the puzzles, if you're attentive. But it's, as I said, work for the reader above and beyond what you usually sign on for with a novel. There's also a certain psychedelic aspect, combining flow of consciousness with a kind of out of body experience, where the narrators are watching themselves act, as the words tumble over themselves like an out of control word processor in an era where there were no word processors. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just thought as I read, "right - the sixties."

But the major theme is amazing: basically a mashup of Oedipus with Cain and Abel. A younger, uptight and intellectual, half-brother plots to destroy his overbearing, impossibly physical, older half-brother who, in earlier time, had an affair with the younger man's mother, the older man's stepmother.

But as with all "great novels", there are a host of secondary characters and subplots, encompassing an entire Oregon logging district. Character after character is brought front and center and dissected for the reader; scene after scene brings to life another aspect of the town's existence. Natural symbols abound: the River, the Weather, the Union, the Bar, the House, the Father-figure, the Hunt, the Logging, the Death, the Fist Fight, etc.

I can't recommend this one casually. It's not an easy read. But it's a great read. Put it this way: with two pages to go to the end, with about four different plots coming to their climax long after the major plot had come to its dramatic end (or so I thought), I suddenly realized I didn't know what was going on. Now, three days later, I'm still thinking about it: what happened? Why? What was really going on?

If you think you like "Great American Epics" that don't resolve easily....

Try "Sometimes a Great Notion."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 4:39am

Post #5 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut
that one's on my to-read list [In reply to] Can't Post

some day.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 4:40am

Post #6 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut
I read that when it came out [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think I was too young to appreciate it. Shall have to have another go, one of these days.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 5:36am

Post #7 of 53 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Theft of Swords [In reply to] Can't Post

by Michael Sullivan. Two thieves are hired to steal a sword and are caught up in a scheme to assassinate the king. Nothing groundbreaking or even original, but I liked the characters and wanted to find out what happens next.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 12:13pm

Post #8 of 53 (1081 views)
Shortcut
almost finished "The Greatest Knight" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, the Power Behind Five English Thrones, by Thomas Asbridge. What a fascinating look at a real-life Lancelot, based heavily (as far as this lay reader can tell) on the actual medieval source material.

Here's a pretty good review.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 1:06pm

Post #9 of 53 (1077 views)
Shortcut
What fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it isn't too long before the next one comes out, but I think it will be, unfortunately.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 1:10pm

Post #10 of 53 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems impossible to believe, but I actually bought this book a while back for my Kindle, and then forgot all about it. Imagine the joy of searching through my Kindle index and finding an unread Pratchett!

It is, of course, awesome :)

I previously finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. It was a fun take on what happens when the "extras" on a real life Star Trek-like spaceship figure out that it's always the "extras" that die when exploring a planet. Fun premise, and the book did a good job of delivering. The ending parts were a bit strange, but pretty good.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:17pm

Post #11 of 53 (1073 views)
Shortcut
I read that series [In reply to] Can't Post

and agree with your assessment--fun, but not earth-shattering. It suffers from having been first self-published, IMO, because no one seems to have realized along the way that it needs an editor! Nevertheless, entertaining and engaging. Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:27pm

Post #12 of 53 (1087 views)
Shortcut
DoS and BotFA Chronicles books, Emma [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked the Chronicles books out of our local library--have I mentioned that I love public libraries? I do.--and am reluctant to return them. I think the creative process is fascinating, so I enjoy watching the stages of development via illustration. (Although I skip the bad guy stuff--sorry, not into ugly! Tongue) Set dressing! Costuming! HeartHeart

I started reading Emma again. I am enjoying analyzing my own reactions to these books I have known for decades. I remember really hating Mr. Knightley as a teen--who would want to marry a grumpy old man who does nothing but disagree with you? But now that I am in actuality older than the grumpy old man, I see things quite differently! Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Jan 28 2015, 1:32pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 1:50pm

Post #13 of 53 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Le Grand Meaulnes (in English) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember where I heard about this. It may have been an NPR story. Anyway, I had a sample in my kindle and ran across it and decided to get it. Apparently it's a well-known classic in France and little-known outside France. The translation I read was titled "The Lost Estate".

Augustine Meaulnes is a 17-year-old schoolboy who is called Le Grand Meaulnes because of his height and because he becomes a leader among the other boys for a while. One day he plays hooky and finds himself at a mysterious country estate where there's an elaborate wedding going on, run by children. But the bride disappears, and he's returned to the school. He spends most of the rest of the book trying to find the lost estate, where he fell in love with a mysterious girl.

It's a very strange book with a kind of dream-like feeling, though the details of the French countryside are clear and real. The person who wrote the introduction compared it to "The Great Gatsby" and "Catcher in the Rye". I also thought of "Wuthering Heights", with the obsessive love affair, and "Peter Pan", with the boy who wants to stay in a magical childhood fantasyland.

I had a bit of a hard time relating because the women in the story are like statues on pedestals, beautiful and remote and something to be obtained. It's hard to know what they're feeling. The author apparently had a similar experience when he fell in love with a woman he met in a park for a few hours, and then found her years later and she was married with children.

The author was killed in WWI at the age of 28, which lends a poignancy to the story of the young man who didn't want to grow up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 28 2015, 1:51pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 2:04pm

Post #14 of 53 (1079 views)
Shortcut
That's one of my favorite Pratchett stories [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I'm married to a foamer, and my grandmother was born in a railroad depot and got married there on the second floor (above her station, as she used to like to say.)

I don't know if he had help writing that book, but I thought it didn't show any sign of the effects of his illness.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 28 2015, 2:07pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 2:05pm

Post #15 of 53 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Knightly is my very favorite Austen hero. [In reply to] Can't Post

He reminds me a lot of my dad <3

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 3:16pm

Post #16 of 53 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Getting used to audio books [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for the supportive messages, both in last week's reading thread and via PM. The first round of eye surgery was traumatic for me but routine for the doctors---which is the way it should be! Recovery is going well (so far, at least) but am I ever tired, whew.

I've never been a fan of audio books, since I much prefer the speed and flexibility of reading on paper or on a screen. But needs must, and I have a stack of audio books here to get me through the months of poor eyesight. Fortunately I can still use the computer for short periods of time.

I just finished listening to Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island, a slightly abridged version (I know since I've read the book) of his travels around the UK in the mid-90s. It's his usual blend of keen observation and clever expression, enhanced by his reading it himself.

I'm now on my first audio novel and am less enthralled, but I'll report on that next week.

Take care!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 3:24pm

Post #17 of 53 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Good to "see" you, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad it's going well, even though it was traumatic. Thanks for checking in; I was thinking about you and wondering how you're doing!
*hugs*

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 3:42pm

Post #18 of 53 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Yay, it's Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're recovering well (but get the rest you need)! Thanks for checking in! Smile

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 4:03pm

Post #19 of 53 (1067 views)
Shortcut
I remember a movie made with that title [In reply to] Can't Post

with Paul Newman and I think, Kim Novak. Would that have been the same story?

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 4:13pm

Post #20 of 53 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Nice to hear from you, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're recovering. Keep it up and get some rest! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 4:53pm

Post #21 of 53 (1058 views)
Shortcut
sounds fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like a good book to give my dad. After I read it.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 4:56pm

Post #22 of 53 (1070 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Frederick Wentworth is mine, and my dad was, in fact, a naval captain.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 28 2015, 4:58pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 4:57pm

Post #23 of 53 (1057 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing how the body gets knocked down by even a small "procedure" [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you bounce back soon! Great that you can manage this much screen time already.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2015, 6:06pm

Post #24 of 53 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

How good to "see" you here! Smile

Yes, the bandages and sitting-up and no-bending-over can be such a pain. I think the care and concern about following all the doctors' orders is the part that makes one most tired!

Have you ever listened to the Hobbit and LotR audiobooks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 6:08pm

Post #25 of 53 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Nothing to contribute! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a wave Lily, and be well. Healing thoughts your way!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.