Jan 27 2015, 9:13pm

Post #1 of 19 (1608 views)
Shortcut
I Sit Beside the Fire and Think Can't Post

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door.

For me, this was always a bit of a sad bit whenever I read the LOTR books and Bilbo sang this verse in Rivendell. I had of course already read the Hobbit many times, and this line made me a bit sad for Bilbo, sitting by the fire, and remembering his friends. As far as we know only Balin came back to visit, and that was only once. It made me sort of sad, thinking of an old hobbit thinking of his past adventures, and probably just wishing that his old friends would come visit him one last time. Maybe even wishing he could see Thorin and Fíli and Kíli one last time... Did anyone else ever think this? Maybe with the movies out now, more people who have read LOTR will know what I mean.

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jan 27 2015, 9:20pm

Post #2 of 19 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Love this poem in the book. What makes me love it more is that the poem is translated and sung in Elvish at the end credits of the extended edition of Return of the King. It's the most beautiful piece of music done by Howard Shore, in my opinion. It's called "Bilbo's song"

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Jan 27 2015, 9:25pm

Post #3 of 19 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Same Here [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably my favorite poem in LOTR, and I was thrilled when it was at the end of the extended edition, in Sindarin no less!

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 9:25pm

Post #4 of 19 (1120 views)
Shortcut
sad indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

this will happen to all of us oneday.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 19 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Hobbit movies have really added to the meaning of these lines, and yes, they do feel sad now that we can really visualize who Bilbo is thinking of.

#OneLastTime

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 11:38pm

Post #6 of 19 (1053 views)
Shortcut
I'd forgotten about this [In reply to] Can't Post

You've made me come over all emotional, as I think (also) of the 'my fallen brothers' in 'The Last Goodbye' song, visualising Thorin and Fili in particular. Unimpressed

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 27 2015, 11:40pm

Post #7 of 19 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Strangely enough this was going through my head just this evening.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to the tune Donald Swann wrote for it.

It is sad, though not so much that verse, I think. The earlier verses, thinking about the past and the future, 'when winter comes without a spring that I shall ever see.' But I always thought that the last verse was a bit like hope returning, because in Rivendell he wasn't alone. There would be so many elves around him who would have been there for his first visit too. But in the other sense, of thinking about people you won't see again, that's an inevitable part of growing older.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jan 28 2015, 12:32am

Post #8 of 19 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Poor Bilbo. His fate was a bit tragical. [In reply to] Can't Post

While Book-Gandalf is also a flawed character in that he made many a mistake and ruined some people's lives (Thorin's, Bilbo's and Frodo's), Movie-Gandalf, and I'm going to be controversial here, is a jerk.

He incites Thorin to go on this Quest, he sends poor Hobbits to do dirty jobs and he just watches them fall or be ruined.

I want someone here to explain to me how Gandalf did not go to the aid of Thorin in the Movie if he was capable of taking on Azog, had a horse and knew that Thorin and Bilbo could be killed by this enourmous Orc. He just watched. The book at least didn't describe much about Gandalf at this moment, so it can be forgiven.

But this isn't a complaint about PJ, it's just about Movie-Gandalf being looking like a jerk more than he was supposed to be.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2015, 1:42am

Post #9 of 19 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's pride [In reply to] Can't Post

Even after recovering from the dragon sickness, I don't think Thorin would have let Gandalf intervene even if he wanted to. This was Thorin's fight, and Gandalf knew that. And he knew Bilbo had his magic ring.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 28 2015, 1:43am)

glor
Rohan

Jan 28 2015, 1:43am

Post #10 of 19 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Free will [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf understands the power of free will, he is a wise opportunist and can, when needed persuade others to take certain actions.

Wisdom isn't just knowing what to do it is also knowing, when not to do it and let others decide their own fate.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2015, 1:51am

Post #11 of 19 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Song [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten those were the lyrics of Bilbo's Song. I agree that it's definitely some of Howard Shore's best work, and it's a shame that not many people even know it exists. I made a little video tribute (LINK) for the song using clips from the first AUJ trailers back in 2012. Unfortunately I cut some chunks out of the song because I was so limited by the only Hobbit clips I had at the time. I might go back and revisit my idea once the extended cut of BotFA is out.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 28 2015, 9:51am

Post #12 of 19 (941 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful song and video.

It captures the feeling I had hoped BotFA would kindle within me.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:12pm

Post #13 of 19 (896 views)
Shortcut
Same with me, can you believe it?!... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know only the poem, not the version put to music that you are referring to.
But that sad part of growing old, although inevitable, is in my eyes one of those 'sadnesses' inherent to Life as it is now, that Tolkien has been able to express and give voice to with such exquisite melancholy and acute poignancy that I love him for that....among many other things I love him for!... Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Jan 28 2015, 1:14pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:18pm

Post #14 of 19 (893 views)
Shortcut
Ditto, ditto, ditto... I love Bilbo, and that Song!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for mentioning all this here...Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:47pm

Post #15 of 19 (902 views)
Shortcut
But do you think any of them regrets [In reply to] Can't Post

the challenges they have had to go through to play in the Great Story the part they were MEANT to play in it? Through those unexpected Quests each of them grew immeasurably wiser than if they had kept to an ordinary life only. They outgrow what they were at first, and that permanent inner growth nothing will be able totke away from them.
As for Gandalf, he took upon himself all the dangers and sufferings that didn't HAVE to be borne by someone else. Remember the pained look on his face and the distressed sigh he lets out when finally Frodo volunteers to be the Ring-bearer... How much Gandalf would have liked that the young Hobbit be spared such a terrible task and burden... But only him, the insignificant Hobbit, could possibly do it at all...
To each one their own impossible inner and outer victory to win...

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 1:49pm

Post #16 of 19 (890 views)
Shortcut
Here you go..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. this is the only version I can find online and he has slowed it down very much (and muffs a few of the words) I prefer the original, which is lighter and quicker. Still, this is the tune (the man sings 'Namarie' first and 'I sit beside the fire' follows. Donald Swann and Tolkien knew one another and Tolkien approved the tunes Swann wrote (the whole collection is called 'The road goes ever on'.)

I suspect that 'I sit beside the fire' was really Tolkien voicing his own feelings. There is so much of the sadness of time passing in his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz6xJ5hv67Q

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2015, 1:53pm

Post #17 of 19 (884 views)
Shortcut
I like what you have done, thank you... Very nice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 1:18am

Post #18 of 19 (839 views)
Shortcut
I've always had the impression that several of the dwarves, and/or their close kin, had also visited Bilbo on occasion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...based on the following passage from A Long-Expected Party.

'Ah, but he has likely enough been adding to what he brought at first,' argued the miller, voicing common opinion. 'He's often away from home. And look at the outlandish folk that visit him: dwarves coming at night, and that old wandering conjurer, Gandalf, and all..."

So although Balin is the only one listed by name, I'd like to think other dwarves visited him on occasion through the years.

In Reply To
As far as we know only Balin came back to visit, and that was only once.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 29 2015, 1:21am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 1:45am

Post #19 of 19 (859 views)
Shortcut
...another nice passage... [In reply to] Can't Post

" ...An odd-looking wagon laden with odd-looking packages rolled into Hobbiton one evening and toiled up the Hill to Bag End. The startled hobbits peered out of lamplit doors to gape at it. It was driven by outlandish folk, singing strange songs: dwarves with long beards and deep hoods. A few of them remained at Bag End..."

So Bilbo maintained quite a few dwarvish friendships in addition to Balin's...

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 29 2015, 1:52am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.