Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What do you think other directors could learn from Peter Jackson's Middle-earth movies?

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jan 27 2015, 8:00pm

Post #1 of 3 (1216 views)
Shortcut
What do you think other directors could learn from Peter Jackson's Middle-earth movies? Can't Post

I think Peter Jackson did a really good job, some parts might not be the most accurate, but he has brought to life one of the best known fantasy worlds. I think what he does really good is environment, like the doll on fire in AUJ, the women breathing hardly against the Pillar with Smaug's fire surrounding her, the Chimney during the Misty Mountains Song. Also in the Desolation of Smaug, what he did really good was end in the middle of really dramatic parts, like Sauron's reveal intercutting into Bilbo going into Erebor. Also I think getting a balance between character and action, and also having character-driven action. Also what I really like about TTT, RotK, and BotFA is that they actually use real war strategies, making the battle more real. Also I like the movies intros, most movies have some weird thing trying to be epic, but then in these you get to see the sky, and it puts you back into the world. Also looking back at environment, the travelling shots of the fellowship and Thorin and Co. Also I think he did a lot of good shot movements, and also realized that the movement of the camera also helps show the environment, like the long and swoopy ones when Thorin and Co went to the bridge. It did make me feel like I was in a old forest that held some sort of power. Also Thranduil walking by all the dead bodies was great too, and the eagles flying by Thorin and Bilbo during Thorin's death. What do you think other directors should have in their movies that PJ used?

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."-from "The Last Goodbye"

"Why does it hurt so much?"
"Because it was real."
(PLEASE DON'T HURT ME)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above gold, the world would be a merrier place."-BotFA/The Hobbit

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jan 27 2015, 8:03pm)

glor
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 2:27am

Post #2 of 3 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Acting is important [In reply to] Can't Post

The real key to understanding the popularity and critical acclaim that has come the way of PJ's Middle-earth films is this;

No amount of beautiful/realistic CGI, sweeping new Zealand vistas, spectacular action scenes, direction or editing can compensate for bad or so-so acting.

I think this is something that many big budget movie and blockbuster directors and producers need to be reminded of in this day and age. Big multiplex films are made with obsessive spectacle by film makers and even good actors and actresses are left to flounder and dial in performances e.g Jennifer Lawrence an outstanding young actress with genuine talent but in the Hunger Games movies her performance borders on wooden. It is as if the directors have ceased to care about using thespians to convince, to convey the drama and instead rely on action scenes and overly emotive scores.

We live in a world where our cinemas are filled with big budget action movies, often with a fantastical theme, superheroes to teen novel adaptations and yet I have seen nothing from the main protagonists of these films to convince me that they are superheroes, or vampires or what have you, nothing even close to watching elves, dwarves, wizards, and hobbits just being there on screen, without the audience being pulled out of that world by being made conscious of the fact we are watching actors, not the races of middle-earth, they just were

I do think that change might mean a big change in how films are cast. Modern big budget films which are often CGI based cast from the traditional pool of 'hot' movie actors, thespians whose skills and training are based around tangible sets, props and interaction, put them in a green screen environment and you can in many cases literally see them struggle to act on screen. Almost all of PJ's pool of Middle-Earth actors have a different background upon which they based their skills, stage work and training, they are trained to act in environments with few props, convince audiences that they are indeed on a battlefield, when they are in fact on an empty stage, stage acting is training for green screen, they aren't that different to work in.

I think in the decades to come when CGI films dispense with the baggage of not being taken seriously, when they become the main form we experience cinema in and are used to tell more adult stories, people will look back on PJs M-E films and consider their lack of acting awards, especially the Oscars, a travesty, one of the great mistakes in film history.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Jan 29 2015, 2:27am)

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 1:46pm

Post #3 of 3 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally think that they could learn how to make really gory scenes that don't make the viewers feel sick to their stomach...all the same, I do think that PJ could have taken out at least HALF of all the bloody scenes he has in and leave only a few. It could make viewings much more enjoyable.

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.